IGNORED

How Would You Feel If...

mozo

We ended up failing to sign a striker before the deadline, and it transpires that a fee and contract had been agreed for the purchase of Derek Riorden, but Gary Johnson had vetoed it on the grounds of the striker not having the right personality (as with Easter).

City then play the rest of the season with Byfield and Trundle up front, having been so close to a highly rated player.

Would you concur with Johnson, or would the frustration be too much??!!

We ended up failing to sign a striker before the deadline, and it transpires that a fee and contract had been agreed for the purchase of Derek Riorden, but Gary Johnson had vetoed it on the grounds of the striker not having the right personality (as with Easter).

City then play the rest of the season with Byfield and Trundle up front, having been so close to a highly rated player.

Would you concur with Johnson, or would the frustration be too much??!!

I'd be disappointed as it would cost us at least a play-off place

I'd be migtily pissed off tbh. Our problems in the goalscoring department have been apparent for a long, long time now. I'd have expected a deal for a proven striker, either on loan or permanently, would've been done way before the window reopened. Having been in such a good position all season, recognised the need for a striker and not have acted on it only to drift out to tenth would be a major let down. More importantly, it could even impact on how we start next season as well.

I don't think we need a striker anyway. A new striker would just be a bonus. Nick Carle is going to make a MASSIVE difference to our team.

I agree and i think because of the Carle signing we can expect to see a 4-4-1-1 More hence why selling Enoch (or trying), a striker would be a bonus, but would like a young one for the future

I wouldnt be too disappointed if we didnt sign someone as we could always get them on loan! If we couldnt do either I would be concerned as we havent found a player that is consistent upfront and I don't feel inspired that the players we have will suddenly start banging in the goals now. Carle is a good signing but hes a midfielder and we cant expect him to get as many goals as a striker would, unless hes Ronaldo!

Anyone who doesnt feel we need a striker if we are to maintain a top 6 finish are kidding themselves I'm afraid.

To many games at the minute we are not converting possession and chances into goals. GJ isnt daft, he KNOWS we need a striker...as the ones we have at the minute are not cutting it, hence the reason why he keeps chopping and changing them

Yes the first half of the season has been fantastic, but were not so much of an "unknown quantity" any more, teams are finding us out, and will continue to do so

At least one new striker is needed

With the position we're in, i think it would be a big opportunity wasted. Who knows when we will be in such a good position again? If we don't bring in a quality striker now it could well cost us in the long run. We will need one next season if we are realistically looking towards Premiership football anyway. We've heard the noises coming out of the club the past few weeks about making the most of this position we have put ourselves in. So now we wait and see how much they want it.

I'd be migtily pissed off tbh. Our problems in the goalscoring department have been apparent for a long, long time now. I'd have expected a deal for a proven striker, either on loan or permanently, would've been done way before the window reopened. Having been in such a good position all season, recognised the need for a striker and not have acted on it only to drift out to tenth would be a major let down. More importantly, it could even impact on how we start next season as well.

I agree.

I feel really flat at the moment. I had a really good gut feeling about Riordan and it looks like according to GJ it was never on the cards at all. I don't know much about the player and although 'in Johnson I trust' I can't help feeling a bit down as even if we weren't linked with Riordan, why weren't we??? He still sounds just what we need and Burnley, no disrespect but Burnley? look like getting him. Maybe he has tons of baggage we don't know about?

We don't look like we are even close to signing anyone, but we still have a week to go, trouble is we need them ASAP as TBH our strikers aren't really up to much. Well I'll pin my hopes on Carle and see if he can get them firing.

I hope we can look back at the end of the season and have a good laugh at January, rather than cry over what might have been.

Yours depressed

RedM

PS: As people have said remember we have a game tomorrow, but right now it's hard to get excited about it, and I can't remember feeling like that for a while. :no:

I agree.

I feel really flat at the moment. I had a really good gut feeling about Riordan and it looks like according to GJ it was never on the cards at all. I don't know much about the player and although 'in Johnson I trust' I can't help feeling a bit down as even if we weren't linked with Riordan, why weren't we??? He still sounds just what we need and Burnley, no disrespect but Burnley? look like getting him. Maybe he has tons of baggage we don't know about?

We don't look like we are even close to signing anyone, but we still have a week to go, trouble is we need them ASAP as TBH our strikers aren't really up to much. Well I'll pin my hopes on Carle and see if he can get the firing.

I hope we can look back at the end of the season and have a good laugh at January, rather than cry over what might have been.

Yours depressed

RedM

PS: As people have said remember we have a game tomorrow, but right now it's hard to get excited about it, and I can't remember feeling like that for a while. :no:

You havent done too bad so far Em your predictions are usually pretty spot on :innocent06: perhaps you could give Gary some tips on a new signing?? ;)

I don't think we need a striker anyway. A new striker would just be a bonus. Nick Carle is going to make a MASSIVE difference to our team.

Is this because you think he will score a lot of goals for us, (despite it being regularly stated by several aussies that now visit this site that he doesn't find the net very often) or because you think his creative powers will allow one of our current under performing strikeforce to realise their potential. Personally I'll be very disappointed if we don't get a goalscorer as its glaringly obvious we need one.

You havent done too bad so far Em your predictions are usually pretty spot on :innocent06: perhaps you could give Gary some tips on a new signing?? ;)

ohh, I can choose can I.

Well as Sidwell is a bit out of our league and not a striker, but when did that matter, I'll nominate Reading's Kitson. Otherwise there is Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink, just love the name and think of all the revenue from the printed shirt sales (see I've thought this through.)

To cover Carey I'll have Peter Lovenkrands please as Mr Moyes no longer plays.

Soted. I'm sure a stalking ban will follow!

that just saved me a load of typing, cheers Tin.

Those who think we don't need a striker or think that the goals are going to come from Carle, have either not been to a game all season or just simply don't understand football.

Is this because you think he will score a lot of goals for us, (despite it being regularly stated by several aussies that now visit this site that he doesn't find the net very often) or because you think his creative powers will allow one of our current under performing strikeforce to realise their potential. Personally I'll be very disappointed if we don't get a goalscorer as its glaringly obvious we need one.

He will create a lot. He has a short back-lift and so can see him scoring a few from outside the box. Also he looks like he has that cutting edge pass which Trundle and the "goalscorer" we already have in Byfield.

With all due respect to Lee Johnson he creates very little. He passes it sideways with great accuracy but I think Trundle and Byfield will thrive on the ammunition from Carle, McCindoe, Sproule and the likes. Carle Is a VERY good player.

Anyone who doesnt feel we need a striker if we are to maintain a top 6 finish are kidding themselves I'm afraid.

To many games at the minute we are not converting possession and chances into goals. GJ isnt daft, he KNOWS we need a striker...as the ones we have at the minute are not cutting it, hence the reason why he keeps chopping and changing them

Yes the first half of the season has been fantastic, but were not so much of an "unknown quantity" any more, teams are finding us out, and will continue to do so

At least one new striker is needed

Totally and utterly agree. I trust GJ - most of us do - but his track record with strikers is not the best - its blatantly obvious we need a goalscorer - we are not scoring enough and our top goal scorer is on 7 .....doesn't that speak volumes ????

We need someone who is going to know where the net is and get us 20-25 goals per season...end of.

I'd be disappointed if we were getting another striker in. We've done well so far with the three we have but need something more to push on and keep us in the top six.

I think we'll have a better chance of promotion with a good striker coming in than without. However, the wrong player could do more harm than good to the squad so I'd rather take a chance on the strikers we have than get in someone who failed the GJ interview.

Gary Johnson has proved himself to a large degree and earnt enough trust to last him through a few tough decisions.

Did S.L not say something like, we need to capitalise on the position we are in :unsure: a few days back ?

Rewards are great for promo but maybe its best if we wait till the new bowl is ready first?

The answer to your question....... there`s always another transfer window and another promo or relegation push/struggle.

Now is but a moment in time. :noexpression:

Well, if we cant find one good striker willing to come aboard with the position we are in now and have been all season then I guess these 20 goal strikers do not exist, if they do, then, they are more than happy where they are now and see us as a big step down.

edit* Its not about spending the money either, because it has already been said that wont be a problem.

I think we could do with another forward

But i feel we need some body who can play along side Elliott

in a 4-4-2 because at present our midfield gets over ran with that system

For me LJ and DN are to lightweight and both play best in a 4-5-1/4-4-1-1

If we are able to control games with 4 in midfield

this then may give our forwards more chances

Archived