IGNORED

Lee Johnson

Almondsbury_red

lee johnson was absolutely brilliant today yes he gave the ball aaway a few times BUT he went and won it back again. well done lee keep it up :englandsmile4wf:

He played well yeah and it was good to see - held up the ball well and bar a couple of wayward passes in dangerous area's his passing was very good as well.

I think to call his performance 'absolutely brilliant' is creatively put, 'solid' may be more fitting, but hopefully the Carle signing has put the pressure on him that I think he needed.

lee johnson was absolutely brilliant today yes he gave the ball aaway a few times BUT he went and won it back again. well done lee keep it up :englandsmile4wf:

well said, lee was fantastic today got really stuck in today and as you said won the ball well. his distribution was good and he had an all round good game ! :clapping:

I am a Lee Johnson fan never moan about him ever, and it annoys me when people moan about him all the time. However yes he did have a good game today but for me the future should be Eliott & Carle he was class today strong in the tackle, great ball retention, battles, decent in the air and always had space I watcvhed him closely... He also looks to be as though he is capable of of playing the killer ball something that Lee does not do to often! Thought we missed Sproule today lots and i realised how vital he has been this season even if he has not set the world alight everyweek.

Thought Jamie Mac and Vasko had decent games today, but think that when boom boom mccombe plays he sits so deep! Also don't think I have ever wanted someone to score as much as Trundle I know hes got it there he just really does need a goal to spark him off.... Lets also hope Brooker is back soon so as he have a striker that can hold the ball up and put some strength into our front line!

Carle he was class today strong in the tackle, great ball retention, battles, decent in the air and always had space I watcvhed him closely... He also looks to be as though he is capable of of playing the killer ball something that Lee does not do to often!

Flippin' eck,

Nearly every attack came through Johnson. Countless times he played great 'killer' balls for Byfield and wingers.

I thought Carle was outstanding today, and his passing is also fantastic, such as that cross-field pass to McIndoe, but don't tell me Carle is capable of playing a killer pass, but Johnson doesn't do it that often.

Johnson did well today. I wouldn't say brilliant (I don't think anyone was really) but he was effective and he used the ball well. If we get a striker it looks like Carle is going to put him under serious pressure for the berth next to Elliott which is a good thing.

Absolutely agree. He had a decent game, used the ball well. He's bound to give the ball away now and again and it will be interesting to see what Johnson does when Sproule fit. I suspect we'll revert to 4-4-1-1 but if we go 4-4-2, GJ has a very difficult decision to make as Carle was superb and strikes me more as a challenge to Johnson, not Noble - he tracked back well and really got stuck in.

It's worth noting though that the Lee Johnson bashers still exsist. The idiot behind me spent 90 minutes slagging him off - clearly loving it when he did lose the ball. This frustrates me beyond belief - particularly the snide 'Get your son off' remarks. The response of me, and quite a few around me, was to shout 'well done Johnson' whenever he did anything of merit.

Lee is a holding player, Nick and attacking midfielder; they can therefore complement each other. Think Makele and Lampard.

Lee Johnson is NOT a holding player - he simply isnt brave enough to be one. He also isnt an attacking midfielder because he doesnt score enough goals or even get shots away.

He did play well today and is slowly gettingt better with each week which is a credit to the lad. One thing i did notice was when the teams were being read out, Johnsons name was greated by half hearted cheers but mainly groans. I'm not his biggest fan but no player deserves that.

I can kinda see what chinapig is getting at in that LeeJ often comes to the back four to get the ball and sprays it around from quite deep. I wouldn't describe him as a holding player though because he doesn't really protect them.

I wouldn't describe Elliott as a holding player either because he plays from box to box. It's a role we don't really use in our game and I don't believe it works well in a 442 anyway.

Most of which are from set pieces

Fair comment, but my point is that to restrict Marvin to a deep role picking the ball up off the back four and starting moves is to waste his strengths and would likely preclude the kind of goals he scored against Stoke and Ipswich and him geting into the area to use his heading ability in open play too. Given that our defence tends to defend the 18 yard line rather tha push up (presumably due to the shortage of pace) I think it makes sense to have a midfielder lying deep otherwise there is too big a gap between defence and attack.

You don't have to have a holding player and an attacking player in a midfield two. It's just a fad at the moment with professional teams to try and protect a truely adventurous attacking player a la Lampard.

We have two players to do both jobs, LJ and Elliott, they compliment each other as when one pushes on the other sits. Old school midfield partnership.

With two wingers and two strikers, it's difficult to play the 'attacking midfield role'.

You don't have to have a holding player and an attacking player in a midfield two. It's just a fad at the moment with professional teams to try and protect a truely adventurous attacking player a la Lampard.

We have two players to do both jobs, LJ and Elliott, they compliment each other as when one pushes on the other sits. Old school midfield partnership.

With two wingers and two strikers, it's difficult to play the 'attacking midfield role'.

Tell that to Nobby Stiles! Seriously, all three can be accommodated in the 4-4-1-1 formation Gary uses on occasion. Whether that is the way to go is up for debate but it can be done.

Tell that to Nobby Stiles! Seriously, all three can be accommodated in the 4-4-1-1 formation Gary uses on occasion. Whether that is the way to go is up for debate but it can be done.

Ok, fair enough. The point is, footballers got on with a midifeld two before the chelsea way became so effective. I think Elliott, LJ, Carle, Sproule and McIndoe across the midfield would be sufficient...

"He did play well today and is slowly gettingt better with each week which is a credit to the lad. One thing i did notice was when the teams were being read out, Johnsons name was greated by half hearted cheers but mainly groans. I'm not his biggest fan but no player deserves that".

Not only that, I was in the Dolman Bar before KO when the team-sheet was read out, and the numpty said something like "Lee Johnson (no surprise there!)".

It's come to something when the club officials are undermining the support for one of our most important players, just because of who he is. Sack the announcer.. :redcard:

"He did play well today and is slowly gettingt better with each week which is a credit to the lad. One thing i did notice was when the teams were being read out, Johnsons name was greated by half hearted cheers but mainly groans. I'm not his biggest fan but no player deserves that".

Not only that, I was in the Dolman Bar before KO when the team-sheet was read out, and the numpty said something like "Lee Johnson (no surprise there!)".

It's come to something when the club officials are undermining the support for one of our most important players, just because of who he is. Sack the announcer.. :redcard:

Johnson fan here, thought he had a good game again, can remember he gave the ball away a couple of times

but won it back. Pass rate will not be 100%, particularely when playing balls 75% up the field, with Johnson, Carle and Noble all play makers things are looking good.

We are equal top, lets be positive, if it aint broke don't fix it

51 points in Jan, who would of believed it!

Not i, anything else is a bonus

living the dream.

SORRY ! I'm not a lover of the man BUT,

HAT off one of his good games today and proved he can shine.(got to give respect as have slaged him of in the past :surrender: )

thought johnson had a VERY good game as well today, did lose the ball a couple of times in midfield but more than made up for mistakes but very promtly getting the ball back,

he's sure risen his game since Carle came in.

1 bad/unlucky pass and the moaners had a go, he had a very good game i thought

playmaker is a hard enough position to play without the whingers getting on his back

LJ the ratings from above[ not God ].

Absolutely brilliant.......Solid game........Fantastic......Good game.......Did well, wouldn't say brilliant.........Did play well......Good game.......Very good game.

I was not there, but my older cousin, an excellant judge and former player said this.

" LJ did what he does best. He motored along for 90 minutes, played box to box and was a good team player."

I might add that his overall comments for the season are very similar. A player who can be average, just below average or just above average. Never good enough to change a game or bad enough to lose it. You could apply that to Orr, McAllister and others, but imo, thats what we have......A Team ! Not loaded down with stars and massive egos, just a bunch of regular guys doing their job for each other and the club.

Read the Table.

Archived