IGNORED

Dele Adebola

Tipps

I would be very surprised if GJ were not after him. Has been outstanding against us, and is exactly the hard running, power house we are missing. Holds the ball up, makes defenders suffer, brings others into the game, and can score some goals. A Championship quality player. We are not in the Prem, Dele is quality, and would improve an area of our forward play where we are weak. I hope it is true, would be a substantial improvement to the team.

Dele Adebola is an average striker at this level who has had ONE good game against us this season and two poor ones last season. He barely has a 1 in 4 career strike rate, is nearly 33, would cost a significant fee and wages, is slow as hell and has scored just 4 league goals this season and 8 last season despite playing in nearly every game. The last thing we need is another striker who doesn't score.

We quite obviously need PACE up front not a target man, how on earth does a target man help our possession based passing game which suffers already from forwards not keeping up with play?

Besides which if we need someone to hold the ball up I'd rather have Brooker in the side than Adebola because Brooker can do that job, can score from outside the box and is more mobile.

Only thing i will say, we all complain about trundles 3 goals, how much better is 4?

Sorry buddy, no complaints from me! I see past the must be a 20 goal a season striker to be any good! I don't give a monkeys who scores as long as we win!

Dele Adebola is an average striker at this level who has had ONE good game against us this season and two poor ones last season. He barely has a 1 in 4 career strike rate, is nearly 33, would cost a significant fee and wages, is slow as hell and has scored just 4 league goals this season and 8 last season despite playing in nearly every game. The last thing we need is another striker who doesn't score.

Whilst I agree about the lack of goals, he is the type of player we need up front.We haven't got anyone who can win the ball in the air enough or hold the ball up and we don't know if Brooker can cut it In the CCC.He may even bring out the best in Byfield who needs a target man to play off.

I would currently accept an offer of £250k for any of our strikers and we need a player who can bring players into the game after holding the ball up.Brooker is equally good next to a big man or a smaller player Lita or McGammon.

We quite obviously need PACE up front not a target man, how on earth does a target man help our possession based passing game which suffers already from forwards not keeping up with play?

We need both which is why I would like to see us sign a target man & a pacey player.

Besides which if we need someone to hold the ball up I'd rather have Brooker in the side than Adebola because Brooker can do that job, can score from outside the box and is more mobile.

Whilst I think and hope SB can, we don't know and there must be concerns over his fitness, although I've a strong feeling that he would do a better job than any of the three we have and that was nearly two last week, so GJ must have someone lined up, surely??

The other advantage is that given his CCC experience, he would be easier to move on, should we get prmoted and that, regretfully doesn't apply to Trundle.

Dele Adebola - PLEASE GOD NO

I'd have him in my team ahead of any of the three we have, especially when we play one up top.

Who would you like us to sign?

He is not slow, and if you play a passing game, you need a front player who holds the ball and brings people into the game.Our front players are incapable of doing that, it comes straight back to us. He played well against us last year too. Slow as hell, as a description means you really do not have the right player in mind. Did he use a wheelchair to run past our defence at AG? I can accept any comment about his finishing, but you clealy have not have the slightest if you are worried about him keeping up with play.

Adebola is slow, for his goal against us he was put through by an excellent pass from Jay Tabb and played onside by poor defending. I suggest you watch the goal again, he didn't outpace anyone nor beat anyone with the ball. He certainly didn't impress me in either game last season and more importantly Coventry fans don't think he's anything other than average.

We are playing passing football down the wings and the very, very obvious primary thing we are lacking is someone to attack balls in between the penalty spot and the six yard box, that is NOT Adebola. We don't have a problem bringing people into play as can be seen clearly by the number of balls that go straight through the penalty area on the break with noone on the end of them.

Would a target man be nice? Well maybe, but it's not the priority at all IMO particularly with Brooker nearing fitness. And even if it were as you suggest, a 33 year old expensive one who scores very few goals would be a bloody silly move.

It is horses for courses, and it is what is needed now, not in 3 years, we need to keep the ball in the final third, and enable our midfield to link up. He might also be available, which is another major hurdle. It is what would improve us now, for the final push. We need two forwards, the one with blistering pace, plays off a player like that. If he signs, I can see the logic, and it would substantially improve our team. It is a signing in line with that of Betsy and Wilson, players to get you to your desired result, but not necessarily for the following challenge.

How much do you think it would cost to bring Adebola here? I'd suggest many times what Betsy cost us in both wages and a fee - that's the difference. Regarding your horses for courses argument that would be fine but we never seem to run at a course that requires a horse like Adebola.

So you suggest we wait for Brooker, who is still only able to play 80 min, has never played in the Championship, and has been AWOL for 2 seasons. Good plan.

I suggest we don't urgently need a target man particularly when we have Brooker who can definitely do the job. The Championship isn't some mythical huge step up as we've seen and Brooker was one of the best players in league one before we crocked him by rushing him back from an injury. Now that's fully healed there's no reason to believe he can't do it.

We DO need a striker with pace as the priority and it seems very unlikely we will get both.

Whilst I agree about the lack of goals, he is the type of player we need up front.We haven't got anyone who can win the ball in the air enough or hold the ball up and we don't know if Brooker can cut it In the CCC.He may even bring out the best in Byfield who needs a target man to play off.

I disagree that we need that type of player, that's not the sort of football we're playing. We rarely hit long balls and when we do they are going wide for our quick wingers to chase and it's working fine. What isn't working fine is that we have noone on the end of the balls both McIndoe and Sproule regularly put into the box.

I'd have him in my team ahead of any of the three we have, especially when we play one up top.

Who would you like us to sign?

that's the difference, I'd rather have any combination of the current 4 forwards than go for a player like Adebola, 10 years ago I would have considered signing him, but not now.

very much a panic buy/short term fix.

I'd rather sign no one than Adebola personally.

If we were to sign anyone I'd love to get David Connoly but I believe that to be very unlikely as he's going to cost alot based on transfer fee and wages, to be honest though, if we don't sign a forward for me it's not end of the world.

as I'd be happy with Enoch, Byfield, Trundle and Brooker.

I think it would be quite a good signing. He certainly will hold the ball up better than any of of current strikers. The second half yesterday showed the ball just wasnt sticking upfront enough.

With Sproule and Mcindoe on the wings we really need a big man who can get on the end of crosses which we don't currently have.

I disagree that we need that type of player, that's not the sort of football we're playing. We rarely hit long balls and when we do they are going wide for our quick wingers to chase and it's working fine. What isn't working fine is that we have noone on the end of the balls both McIndoe and Sproule regularly put into the box.

When we play well, we play a short passing game.Regretfully, when we're under pressure and that's in the second half of most home games, even more away, we DO play long balls especially if we're chasing a game ala Palace, when we completly lost it after replacing Carle and going 4-4-2.Some of our passing out from the back by Orr & McCombe was poor and you need a physical presence to benefit from " service" of that nature.

I'm a purist in terms of what I'd like to see but pragmatic enough to know that's not always possible and we need a plan B.

As I said, I'd like to see us sign both, especially if we can move ES on.

Brooker then returns 100% fit and we have options with power & pace up front.We would also gain experience and that could be vital in the run in.

In terms of crossing I'm largely disappointed by the number of times our wide players hit the byeline and by the vast majority of their crosses.To many hit the first defender and sometimes a physically strong player will get across that frts defender in a way that our three don't.

that's the difference, I'd rather have any combination of the current 4 forwards than go for a player like Adebola, 10 years ago I would have considered signing him, but not now.

very much a panic buy/short term fix.

I'd rather sign no one than Adebola personally.

If we were to sign anyone I'd love to get David Connoly but I believe that to be very unlikely as he's going to cost alot based on transfer fee and wages, to be honest though, if we don't sign a forward for me it's not end of the world.

as I'd be happy with Enoch, Byfield, Trundle and Brooker.

Connoly needs a target man to play off and that means 4-4-2.Unless Brooker returns fit & firing we don't have on and, clever player that he is, I wouldn't want to sign him unless we get a target a man as well.

GJ is looking for a striker-big guy and that means we can go one up top-Signing Connolly ties you in to 4-4-2 ot two up top at least and how do you fit LJ & NC into that set up if you play our other two big signings Sproule & McIndoe??

Sorry buddy, no complaints from me! I see past the must be a 20 goal a season striker to be any good! I don't give a monkeys who scores as long as we win!

don't get me wrong I'm with you on that one. I'm just making the point people don't seem to be happy with strikers at this club. They have a valid point but Like you say as long as we keep winning... :englandsmile4wf: :englandsmile4wf:

:goingup: :innocent06:

alot of people question whether Brooker can make the step up to this level, however how many on here would have said the same pre-season about players such Orr, LJ, Fontaine and McAllister? 4 players who have made the step up very well, personally speaking I think Brookers biggest problem isn't going to be ability, but confidence and fitness, which is why him going to Cheltenham was always a great move from GJ.

I'm still totally convinced that forward line combinations of Trundle/Brooker or Byfield/Brooker would be better than any of the forward lines we have played this season, yes that's putting alot of pressure on the lad but in terms of tecnincal ability I don't think he will have a problem, another week or so up north and he could be ready to step up.

Connoly needs a target man to play off and that means 4-4-2.Unless Brooker returns fit & firing we don't have on and, clever player that he is, I wouldn't want to sign him unless we get a target a man as well.

GJ is looking for a striker-big guy and that means we can go one up top-Signing Connolly ties you in to 4-4-2 ot two up top at least and how do you fit LJ & NC into that set up if you play our other two big signings Sproule & McIndoe??

a player like Connolly (who I would love to sign, but doubt we will even make a serious move for) I believe would work well in a forward partnership with Trundle or Brooker.

also I wouldn't play 4-4-1-1 as personally I just don't like the formation and believe the only reason we have played the extra man in midfield is because for all their ability as a unit the midfield hasn't been strong enough, much as I rate Lee Johnson, he would drop out and I'd play a midfield of sproule, elliott, Carle, McIndoe. with Connoly or Brooker playing right up top, with Trundle dropping deep in floating role.

So, our promotion charge you would put in the hands of a generally unfit and injury prone, unproven player. Glad Gj does not feel the same way. That we need pace I do not disagree with, but until we keep the ball in the final third, you can do what you want, but it puts the whole team under constant pressure. I do not think Adebola is the lords answer to our footballing future, but as he is out of contract in the summer, holds the ball up, brings others into play. As we seem to go 4-4-1-1 quite a lot, it is essential the front player keeps the ball. GJ tried with enoch and byfield to do it, and it has not worked.

horses for courses is what GJ has alluded to, and people like Betsy served their purpose. This is transfer window time, prices are silly, and if you need a particular job doing, you need a job doind. As we do not have the money to sign a player of potential prem quality (a Luke Moore for example) you have to look at what is out there.

Adebola is probably available, you have not not given one realistic suggestion. Of all the names mentioned, I think the player can do a job for us, is proven at this level, and will bring our better players into the game, particularly if we play 4-4-1-1

Your solution to rely on Brooker is romatic, but not pratical. We will see.

My solution is to sign a forward with pace which we are actually crying out for, not a target man with a poor goalscoring record who does not suit our style of play one bit particularly when we have a player returning from injury who can do that job more than adequately and is far from unproven. I've suggested plenty of names before and I'd be delighted to see us sign a player like Riordan, Garner, or a youngster from a Prem club like who needs games provided they are a pacy goalscorer not a big old lump.

This isn't about keeping the ball in the final third at all, not one bit, it's about putting it in the net - we create plenty of chances they just don't look like chances because nobody is in the bloody box when they happen.

When we play well, we play a short passing game.Regretfully, when we're under pressure and that's in the second half of most home games, even more away, we DO play long balls especially if we're chasing a game ala Palace, when we completly lost it after replacing Carle and going 4-4-2.Some of our passing out from the back by Orr & McCombe was poor and you need a physical presence to benefit from " service" of that nature.

I'm a purist in terms of what I'd like to see but pragmatic enough to know that's not always possible and we need a plan B.

I think we tend to play short passing pressure football (442) at home and quick counterattacking football (4411) away. Occasionally either style degenerates into long ball when we're nervous but that isn't what GJ appears to be aiming for at all. I think that long ball football is and should be a plan B and we should not be signing expensive 30+ yr olds for plan B when we have Brooker who can do that job and when we have a far greater need for a player who scores goals to support plan A.

If we've signed a quick goalscorer by Thursday and GJ wants to spend Friday looking for another option as a target man I won't complain but the priority has to be putting the ball in the net IMO.

As I said, I'd like to see us sign both, especially if we can move ES on.

Brooker then returns 100% fit and we have options with power & pace up front.We would also gain experience and that could be vital in the run in.

In terms of crossing I'm largely disappointed by the number of times our wide players hit the byeline and by the vast majority of their crosses.To many hit the first defender and sometimes a physically strong player will get across that frts defender in a way that our three don't.

I think the players that get across defenders for crosses are more usually the quick goal poachers not the Iwelumo types who head for the back post. I think our crossing can improve but we still see balls flash through between the penalty spot and the six yard box every game with no city player near them, and we often see quick breaks slow down as Sproule or McIndoe realises nobody is up with them.

a player like Connolly (who I would love to sign, but doubt we will even make a serious move for) I believe would work well in a forward partnership with Trundle or Brooker.

Why would Trundle & Connolly work when Byfield & Trundle clearly doesn't? Connolly & Brooker, now that might work

also I wouldn't play 4-4-1-1 as personally I just don't like the formation and believe the only reason we have played the extra man in midfield is because for all their ability as a unit the midfield hasn't been strong enough, much as I rate Lee Johnson, he would drop out and I'd play a midfield of sproule, elliott, Carle, McIndoe. with Connoly or Brooker playing right up top, with Trundle dropping deep in floating role.

That midfield would be my choice IF we played two up top-You know that it probably wouldn't happen and that's another reason why, if we bring in someone like Adebola, we'll go with one up top.

My solution is to sign a forward with pace which we are actually crying out for, not a target man with a poor goalscoring record who does not suit our style of play one bit particularly when we have a player returning from injury who can do that job more than adequately and is far from unproven.

Unproven in the CCC though- I actually think he will but along with his fitness record, it's a risk.

I've suggested plenty of names before and I'd be delighted to see us sign a player like Riordan, Garner, or a youngster from a Prem club like who needs games provided they are a pacy goalscorer not a big old lump.

I woudn't mind either of the above as well as the target man not instead of.

This isn't about keeping the ball in the final third at all, not one bit, it's about putting it in the net - we create plenty of chances they just don't look like chances because nobody is in the bloody box when they happen.

If you take a look at all of the "attacking" type stats, we're not high in any of them and I don't honestly think we do create many chances.That, along with our our ineffective strikers, is the reason why we're not scoring enough goals.Only the fact that we've kept ten clean sheets (Only Wolves have kept more) has kept us in the title race along with superb commitment, the odd top performance (Sheff Utd & Noriwch 2nd Half) & moment of real quality.

The thing that's worth noting about stats is that crosses don't show up when no one turns them into shots on goal.

I think Sproule and McIndoe put enough into the box to get goals from and actually are often prevented from crossing by there being nobody up with them. Usually this is because Trundle or Byfield have come deep or wide early on in the phase of play and not bust a gut to get into the box, or that they've been left behind by a break.

The thing that's worth noting about stats is that crosses don't show up when no one turns them into shots on goal.

I think Sproule and McIndoe put enough into the box to get goals from and actually are often prevented from crossing by there being nobody up with them. Usually this is because Trundle or Byfield have come deep or wide early on in the phase of play and not bust a gut to get into the box, or that they've been left behind by a break.

Whatever's happening we've got nobody in the goal stats-one in the assists and we're well down the shots table-although, we are second in the table that really counts!

Archived