IGNORED

Gloustershire Cup

Guest Spunkwood

The Gloucestershire Senior Professional Cup was played 99 times between

1887-88 and the final game in 1996-97 when City won 1-0, meaning we still

hold the trophy!

Lack of interest and poor attendances where the main reason for the end of this annual contest.

The cup they play for now is for the reserve teams.

Now we no longer play them in the league, a return to the annual beating of the

gas would be fun!

Guest Officer Dibble

Anyone remember a 5-O city win at Eastville in the early 70's I think. Forward line Skirton, Garland, Galley, Sharp, Bartley ( I think) and they each scored!

Anyone remember a 5-O city win at Eastville in the early 70's I think. Forward line Skirton, Garland, Galley, Sharp, Bartley ( I think) and they each scored!

Yep, not sure it wasn't late 60's. My first City game, very young and uncommitted at the time, dragged down as a Cub outing by the gas loving Cubmaster.

Went in the Open End, right at the front. City were awesome and the gas abysmal and several young neutrals made their choice that night against the attempted indoctrination of the evil gasman.

Apart from the massacre my main memory of the night was the City fans getting on the pitch at the end and destroying the gas's namby pamby flower beds they had behind the goal.

If Rovers had won 5-0, would that impressionable youngster have become a gashead? No, i took against them and their kit from the first whistle. Inexpliccable but true. Fate decreed he took us in the City End rather than the "rough Tote End", and by the end of the night i was a City fan, cheering the raising of the Gloucestershire Cup, who couldn't wait to see his first City home game. :unsure:

Archived