IGNORED

Progress?

Ian M

• Admin

Start of the season: hopes are high, couple of new signings, ok Danny doesn't seem too sure what his best XI is on previous experience and with a couple of unknown quantities onboard and losing Scoot but at least he knows he wants to line up in 442.

Now: Danny still doesn't seem to have a clue what his best XI is only now he doesn't even know what formation to use, flitting between 3 or 4 per match. Depressing.

As opposed to last season:

Start of the season: No signings or money, many people think we'll go down.

End of season: 3rd placed. Very few predicted we'd finish there (I was one of those few!) and finished above cardiff/QPR who in my opinion had better squads.

This season I'll stick with my pre-season prediction of top 4.

• Admin

Unfortunately as you well know Will, last season I "expected" us to do better anyway, predicting we'd get 86 points which we failed to do. So for me, Wilson failed us last season too. :P

Edit: IF Wilson had EITHER tactical nous OR motivational skills then I would share your optimism. However, as he patently has neither plus doesn't even appear to have any conviction in his team selections I am going to put this season down to one big 3 year contract to far and buckle up for a rocky ride in the Summer.

Madge, we both agree that DW, despite increasing popular belief has assembled a squad of talented players light years ahead of the shambles of TP that is one of the best in the division.

You say we need a new manager to spark our promotion bid because of DW's dodgy team selections and substitutions.

Again, contrary to popular belief DW has infact picked a first xi which most fans have agreed with this season. Some critics seem to have amazing hindsight when it comes to criticing Wilson!

Then, when their ideas don't come off they accuse Wilson of messing around with the side anyway!

Is it unreasonable to throw on a 3rd striker with 15 minutes to go in an attempt to wina game? Nope. Yet its funny cus when DW doesn that "he should've done it early", "he shouldn't have done it at all" etc

First season in charge DW guided the squad to where it should've finished. Second season was dissappointing, too many injuries and a bad capitulation at blackpool (great weekend though!). Last season over achievement - with quality sides like Crewe, Cardiff, Wigan and QPR it was always going to be hard!

This season, 17 games gone!

We'll wait and see but if we don't finish in the top 4 I will be dissappointed and maybe it would be time for DW to walk.

Guest TB Mutiny

As a contributor t this Forum through its various stages in the last few years I can say that many have been complementary to DW for imposing "Tactics with flair". Before, all anybody did was complain. Now howver, we all want success and expect it to be NOW! Anything but promotion to a majority would be failure. What a shame because 3 years back everybody loved the wins in December and hopes were high. Now, let's wait and see.

Our early term report would be disappointing especially measured against our expectation.What makes this seasons opportunity more promising is the fact that the division looks so MEDIOCRE,seems that anyside which can string together half a dozen good results will find itself at the top of the table.Just hope we get our timing right.

... seems that anyside which can string together half a dozen good results will find itself at the top of the table.Just hope we get our timing right.

Yep, talk of recruiting a proven goalscorer more likely to take advantage of the chances our forwards have had encourages my hopes of things happening that way.

Guest tone og1

He said at the start of the season that this year would be totaly different from last because of the players we have lost/got. Last year we were winning games 4-3 or even a 5-4 ! every time an oppossing team attacked they looked as if they were going to score. That was ok against teams like Mansfield as we had the pace to hit them back. This was why we tended to come unstuck against higher opposition. This year however, we do seem to be a lot more solid as a unit. Joe Burnell is the reason for that. Ok, we havant got the attacking (gun-ho) flair anymore and we have drawn quite a lot of games this year yet (and correct me if i`m wrong as i`m not sure) we have only lost something like 3 games out of 15. I`m sure when we get to january and the teams with a smaller squad than us are having injuries and suspension problems and Danny can get the right balance in the team then we will take the second division by the scruff of the neck and push ourselves to the top

:D

Yep, talk of recruiting a proven goalscorer more likely to take advantage of the chances our forwards have had encourages my hopes of things happening that way.

Of course, we might think it's reasonable to ask why, after 3.5 years it takes a third of a season before such a problem (and it's not like it's new) is considered worthy of address...

Start of the season: hopes are high, couple of new signings, ok Danny doesn't seem too sure what his best XI is on previous experience and with a couple of unknown quantities onboard and losing Scoot but at least he knows he wants to line up in 442.

Now: Danny still doesn't seem to have a clue what his best XI is only now he doesn't even know what formation to use, flitting between 3 or 4 per match. Depressing.

Hmmmmm .......wish I said that!!!

IF Wilson had EITHER tactical nous OR motivational skills then I would share your optimism...

What really astounds me about the Wilson bashers on the forum is their misconception that Wilson doesn't have a clue! :D

Regardless, of how well anyone thinks that he is doing at our club, the FACTS are:

* This man has been a professional football player and therefore KNOWS what it is like to live the life - the ups AND the downs.

* He has managed professional teams in the top three divisions of English football.

* He has had reasonable success in winning promotion or winning silverware at these clubs

* He has impressed professional football club boards with his experience for them to give him a contract to manage their team.

Yet we have a bunch of office workers, welders, builders, chippies, brickies, plumbers, sparkies, salesmen, shop assistants, students and schoolchildren who think they know better than he does...

Yes I know everyone has a go at the team, the manager and/or the board - we all do at one time or another, BUT some people are beginning to believe their own rhetoric...

If it wasn't so sad, it would be laughable...

:)

* He has managed professional teams in the top three divisions of English football.

* He has had reasonable success in winning promotion or winning silverware at these clubs

* He has impressed professional football club boards with his experience for them to give him a contract to manage their team.

Yes true, so people can't be wrong?

Going of at a tangent a bit but didn't Graham 'turnip' Taylor once think Carlton Palmer was an international footballer?

I'll leave you to work it out

Yes true, so people can't be wrong?

Going of at a tangent a bit but didn't Graham 'turnip' Taylor once think Carlton Palmer was an international footballer?

I'll leave you to work it out

I didn't say people can't be wrong. I am merely pointing out that Wilson is far more qualified than any of us to know what it takes to produce a successful side.

While your opinions may be valid, just remember them for what they are - opinions.

Just because, in your opinion and perhaps others, Graham Taylor made a mistake in giving Palmer a cap, doesn't make him a bad manager nor does it prove that he doesn't know what he's doing.

Perhaps you should remember that the next time you get the urge to say that Wilson has no talent to manage a professional football team.

Perhaps I miss the point of a Forum.

In the context of an internet discussion the opinions of all are of value.

In the context of a professional football club's dressing room the opinion of those who have earned the right to be there are valid.

As far as I am aware team selection, tactics, and football decisions are not affected by views expressed on this Forum; and nor does anybody profess that they should be. Why such views should be shouted down is beyond me.

As an aside, the view that a football career at the top level is a prerequisite to being a successful manager has been utterly undermined in recent years by Arsene Wegner and Sven Goran Eriksson. Inevitably in a 'show us yer medals' culture those who have achieved probably find man-management easier; but in tactical and selection terms why should a guy who has excelled on the international scene in a particular position have any great understanding of the nuances of an entire tactical team dynamic, or expect to succeed because of playing reputation - an opinion that the likes of Gary Lineker, Alan Hansen and Andy Gray have all expressed on many occasions?

EJH

Of course, we might think it's reasonable to ask why, after 3.5 years it takes a third of a season before such a problem (and it's not like it's new) is considered worthy of address...

... because others have been afforded the chance to step up to the plate and, unfortunately, been found wanting thus far.

It is those same players who would benefit more than anybody from the acquisition (even if only temporarily) of a proven goalscorer from whom they can learn and who, more importantly, would relieve the doom-and-gloom by delivering the goods out on the pitch.

I commend this solution as a far more cost effective option for BCFC than that offered by those who react to any patch of poor form by calling for the manager's head.

... because others have been afforded the chance to step up to the plate and, unfortunately, been found wanting thus far.

It is those same players who would benefit more than anybody from the acquisition (even if only temporarily) of a proven goalscorer from whom they can learn and who, more importantly, would relieve the doom-and-gloom by delivering the goods out on the pitch.

I commend this solution as a far more cost effective option for BCFC than that offered by those who react to any patch of poor form by calling for the manager's head.

In my book a more cost effective approach to managing a football club at first team level would be in using funds apportioned to team-building to much much better effect than we have seen since the summer of 2000 (or since Wardy left for that matter); and at board room level in ensuring that nobody (management, admin staff or player) is able to hold you over a barrel should things not work out as everybody hopes they will.

The proposal seems to be that we should now give more money to a manager who has thus far wasted what he has been given in order that we do not outlay money in replacing a manager... an interesting logic.

EJH

The proposal seems to be that we should now give more money to a manager who has thus far wasted what he has been given in order that we do not outlay money in replacing a manager... an interesting logic.

Your spin.

Rather than play the blame game, I'd sooner look for the least disruptive solution to the team's current problem, i.e. a dose of some geezer who can stick the ball in the net!

Teams who believe they have a fair chance of scoring when the ball gets into the opposition's box have more of a spring in their stride; blimey, someone sticking a few chances away might even cheer a few people up around here too and that would be something!

Your spin.

Rather than play the blame game, I'd sooner look for the least disruptive solution to the team's current problem, i.e. a dose of some geezer who can stick the ball in the net!

Teams who believe they have a fair chance of scoring when the ball gets into the opposition's box have more of a spring in their stride; blimey, someone sticking a few chances away might even cheer a few people up around here too and that would be something!

Well call it spin or a blame game or what you will, but let's consider what investments have been made in strikers:

Peacock: £600,000

Matthews: £100,000

Roberts: £100,000

Miller: £325,000

When you add to that the presence of Beadle, Thorpe, and Jones when the manager arrived; factor Brown, Lita and Correia into the equation who have been available during his reign; and consider the loan acquisitions of Robins, Fagan and Rodrigues (x2); I find it a little alarming that he still hasn't come up with a front two to do the job that strikers are meant to do.

Call me cynical if you will but after so much investment I have little faith that another addition will be sufficient to solve a persistent problem.

If somebody can spend more than £1m of money that we don't really have and still be faced with the same problem that existed on day one I think there are questions to be asked.

As for cheering up, I'm sure many will if and when results and performances improve.

Perhaps I miss the point of a Forum.

In the context of an internet discussion the opinions of all are of value.

In the context of a professional football club's dressing room the opinion of those who have earned the right to be there are valid.

As far as I am aware team selection, tactics, and football decisions are not affected by views expressed on this Forum; and nor does anybody profess that they should be. Why such views should be shouted down is beyond me.

As an aside, the view that a football career at the top level is a prerequisite to being a successful manager has been utterly undermined in recent years by Arsene Wegner and Sven Goran Eriksson. Inevitably in a 'show us yer medals' culture those who have achieved probably find man-management easier; but in tactical and selection terms why should a guy who has excelled on the international scene in a particular position have any great understanding of the nuances of an entire tactical team dynamic, or expect to succeed because of playing reputation - an opinion that the likes of Gary Lineker, Alan Hansen and Andy Gray have all expressed on many occasions?

EJH

Perhaps you missed the point of my post.

I did not say such opinions should be shouted down, nor did I say the opinions were not of any value and I agree that team selection is/should not be affected.

What I get upset about is the people who think their opinions SHOULD be taken on board by the club and get irate when it doesn't happen. ie they start to believe their own pubilicity.

If someone wants to call for the head of Wilson, that's their prerogative and valid opinion. All I'm saying is don't get upset when (surprise,surprise) it doesn't happen or when someone disagrees with you.

I'm fed up with being generally slagged off as being 'happy clappy' or having 'blind faith' just because I happen to have the OPINION that Wilson is doing ok and it is premature to be shouting about getting rid.

As long as someone puts a constructive opinion about why Wilson should be ejected, I will continiue to post constructive comments about why he shouldn't be.

As you said yourself, all opinions are valid - why should any be dismissed as 'happy clappy' and 'blind faith' when our reasoning is just as valid as the opposing view'?

As for your aside, perhaps with my first point about Wilson, I implied that professional footballers make good managers. This was not intended and the point was made merely to illustrate his experience in the professional game. However, you seem to be taking the opposite stance which I think is also wrong.

Most ex-pros take a coaching badge before they enter management and if they study the science of the game, there is no reason why, they too, cannot become good managers.

What really astounds me about the Wilson bashers on the forum is their misconception that Wilson doesn't have a clue! :wacko:

Regardless, of how well anyone thinks that he is doing at our club, the FACTS are:

* This man has been a professional football player and therefore KNOWS what it is like to live the life - the ups AND the downs.

Yet we have a bunch of office workers, welders, builders, chippies, brickies, plumbers, sparkies, salesmen, shop assistants, students and schoolchildren who think they know better than he does...

Yes I know everyone has a go at the team, the manager and/or the board - we all do at one time or another, BUT some people are beginning to believe their own rhetoric...

If it wasn't so sad, it would be laughable...

:D

Just thought I'd bring this back to the top as it is probably the best post I have read on here in a long time.

Well at least since the lunatics took over the asylum.

Archived