IGNORED

Bristol Music?

mozo

Anyone know any genuinely impressive bands/artists from Bristol?

Seems we don't have much of a scene.

Day One and Aspects were distinctly average, and Kosheen were not actually from brizzle. Alpha made a nice album, but never broke through, and Die and Krust are just for the D&B heads.

Is there an exciting act that I just don't know of (surely there's more than Fortune Drive to choose from??).

Cheeky footnote: anyone who mentions one or more of the following list is stating the obvious and is therefore a chump...Massive Attack, Portishead, Tricky, Rip Rig and Panic, Roni Size, The Wurzels.

Anyone know any genuinely impressive bands/artists from Bristol?

Seems we don't have much of a scene.

Day One and Aspects were distinctly average, and Kosheen were not actually from brizzle. Alpha made a nice album, but never broke through, and Die and Krust are just for the D&B heads.

Is there an exciting act that I just don't know of (surely there's more than Fortune Drive to choose from??).

Cheeky footnote: anyone who mentions one or more of the following list is stating the obvious and is therefore a chump...Massive Attack, Portishead, Tricky, Rip Rig and Panic, Roni Size, The Wurzels.

Fortune Drive are definately worth a listen and I'm not too sure why you need to choose any other but if you do and like your reggae then check out Laid Blak! Been on the circuit for a while, done the local festivals and I think they have an album out this year.

Laid Blak!

I quite liked Day One when they were around but maybe it was cos I was ooop North and it reminded me of home.

Fortune Drive are definately worth a listen and I'm not too sure why you need to choose any other but if you do and like your reggae then check out Laid Blak! Been on the circuit for a while, done the local festivals and I think they have an album out this year.

Laid Blak!

I quite liked Day One when they were around but maybe it was cos I was ooop North and it reminded me of home.

Subline and Beth Rowley are newcomers.

Reggae's alway good.

We don't seem to have a scene like Liverpool or Sheffield does though...

Subline and Beth Rowley are newcomers.

Reggae's alway good.

We don't seem to have a scene like Liverpool or Sheffield does though...

I'll have a listen out for them.

Sheffield is the place at the moment but if one big band shoots through from a city there always seems to be a knock on effect with other bands coming through.

Since the trip hop era there hasn't been much mainstream stuff coming through but has there ever been "mainstream" music from Bristol? I think the music was so good that it was made mainstream rather than pandering to the band cultures needs.

I'll have a listen out for them.

Sheffield is the place at the moment but if one big band shoots through from a city there always seems to be a knock on effect with other bands coming through.

Since the trip hop era there hasn't been much mainstream stuff coming through but has there ever been "mainstream" music from Bristol? I think the music was so good that it was made mainstream rather than pandering to the band cultures needs.

Well this thread came to me as I listened to Reverand and the Makers, so I agree with you there.

I hoped that there would be a forum user who could show me the light but apparently not. Sort it out Bristol!

i once played for a bristolian band many full moons ago. it was called 'clark gammon and the finger clickers', fronted by an old friend called (ironically enough) clark gammon. i was finger clicker no 4. as a band we were together for 2 years, vying to reach the dizzy heights set by the wurzles. some of our best songs included the seldom heard:

'lets get down the hen & chicken, and lets 'have ourselves a bevvy'

'i lost me bleedin' shoe in stoke's croft'

'do they still sell them gurt macky dobber's pasties at the bristol galleries?'

and: 'they done gone changed the bloomin' city centre, and now i'm all confused on the one way system just off of colston avenue.'

sadly the bands lack of success hit clark gammon hard and he bit his own chin off. as his finger clickers, we tried to play on gamely but there are only so many times you can hear a person click their fingers without any vocals or instruments to accompany the sound before things get a bit repetitive. we were rushed by a particuarly aggressive crowd at the bunch of grapes one night, which proved to be the bands last ever performance.

i once played for a bristolian band many full moons ago. it was called 'clark gammon and the finger clickers', fronted by an old friend called (ironically enough) clark gammon. i was finger clicker no 4. as a band we were together for 2 years, vying to reach the dizzy heights set by the wurzles. some of our best songs included the seldom heard:

'lets get down the hen & chicken, and lets 'have ourselves a bevvy'

'i lost me bleedin' shoe in stoke's croft'

'do they still sell them gurt macky dobber's pasties at the bristol galleries?'

and: 'they done gone changed the bloomin' city centre, and now i'm all confused on the one way system just off of colston avenue.'

sadly the bands lack of success hit clark gammon hard and he bit his own chin off. as his finger clickers, we tried to play on gamely but there are only so many times you can hear a person click their fingers without any vocals or instruments to accompany the sound before things get a bit repetitive. we were rushed by a particuarly aggressive crowd at the bunch of grapes one night, which proved to be the bands last ever performance.

Tears are quite literally squirting from my eyes at that sad tale Mr Brain. Bristol's loss, Bristol's loss...

Archived