IGNORED

Why We 'only' Signed Carle And Adebola

Martyn Hocking

Those on here querying the board's lack of ambition and/ or willingness to 'walk the walk' by signing a big money striker clearly weren't at Steve Lansdown's Q&A session prior to the Crystal Palace game.

At this session, I asked Steve about potential striker signings, particularly in the context of Andy Gray's move from Burnley to Charlton the night before.

Steve made it clear in his response that funds were available but that Gary didn't want to spend the money unless he was sure any player he brought in would fit in with the current squad. The phrase Steve used was something like (and forgive the paraphrase, Steve, as I was not recording/taking notes at the session) 'I've given up asking Gary about who he wants to sign - he will tell me when he has identified a player he wants'.

That tells you as clearly as he can that Steve's willingness to get the cheque book out in January was not the issue. Gary simply didn't feel there was a 'big name' player out there that would fit his requirements.

What were those requirements? Well from all his interviews after games we have failed to win this season, you could tell that he wanted 'a bit of cleverness' to open defences up - hence the signing of Nick Carle.

And the fact that he was keen to move Enoch on to Leeds tells you that he had given up on the Showman as our 'big un' up front, hence the need for an Adebola type player. Anyone who has followed Gary's likes and dislikes up front since he joined could have predicted that this was the type of player we would get in. First we had Baz Savage, then Enoch and now Dele. They are all big lads who can cause problems for defenders by their physical presence.

At no time has Gary shown a serious interest in putting a team out with a quick youngster leading the line, and why should he? He has built his recent career at City on teams that work hard, let few goals in and have the maturity and team spirit to nick victories in unlikely situations. This, above all, is a time for men, not boys, to take us forward. I don't expect Dele to chip in more than 4-5 goals between now and the end of the season - but what he will do is free up space and time for other players to up their scoring rate.

I don't know if we are going to go up - but I do know that there is method in what GJ is doing and Steve L has decided to back him NOT to splash the cash for the simple reason that Gary doesn't want to.

Well_red

The best post I've read in ages...Everything you say here is spot on.

We will either make it or we wont, however the manager has a method that has got us this far its not the time for changing tactics now

Guest ashtonyate
Marvin wasn't experienced at this level? maybe what we paid for him was expensive too?!

how about basso?? came from a non league team... surely not even worth a free AY?!

Trundle will come good..... He has more to his game then just scoring goals he makes space for people like McIndoe and Sproule down the wings....

The differance with Eloitt was he was young enough to improve Trundle at nearly 32 was on the way down.

The only way Trundle will come good is if he gets a new girl friend

Our 3 front players has an combined age of 95 perhaps we could get help the aged to sponsor us

Great opener for this thread, well red.

But this AY guy! *&"@*!! He claims to be 60+ & yet is moaning about professional sportsman, with the GJ Mark, in great physical shape, who are at least half his age. Was he born in the Moaners tree hitting every branch and twig on the way down? Is there any way he can be cheered up?

Please God, let all three of our 30 somethings score tomorrow - and on the pitch as well.

The differance with Eloitt was he was young enough to improve Trundle at nearly 32 was on the way down.

The only way Trundle will come good is if he gets a new girl friend

What about basso then? he's over 30?

Trundle will play better now and he will get more time and space because Big Dele will play as a target man and a effective run at that.

:englandsmile4wf:

Guest ashtonyate
What about basso then? he's over 30?

Trundle will play better now and he will get more time and space because Big Dele will play as a target man and a effective run at that.

:englandsmile4wf:

At least they should all reach the penalty area together

Guest ashtonyate
players can still improve even once they hit their last 20's early 30's it's happened with endless other players who have come into pro football late

I think the common conscience is that when a player gets past 30 they start to slow and there legs start to go that's why the older players start to play part games there are exceptions Teddy Sheringham but they are the exceptions rather that the rule

you can't beat old father times

In his video interview, GJ mentioned the bid for Garner and the fact they were interested in Vokes - both teenagers with a bit of pace, but got knocked back by Carlisle and felt that Vokes would be better for playing out the season with Bournemouth. January is probably too soon for them as far as GJ is concerned, but I wouldn't rule out a move for similar or same players at the end of this season. It shows they were looking for these type of players - but were any actually available who would come here and who fitted the criteria ?

As for Adebola, I really don't think he is a big lump as you suggest. Take a look at this (courtesy of samo) where he scores 3 of the goals and is involved in a few others (great set-up against us);

(I hope the link is within OTIB rules)

That's a great series of clips cynic (before they take it away from here). His goal at Loftus Road (strangely enough) shows he has great pace in beating the keeper to the ball before a lovely finish (it's the second goal in 25/11/06). All his goals illustrate strength, power and aggression. A sip of GJ's Powerade® and he'll be ideal.

Archived