IGNORED

The Evolution Continues

Port Said Red

Looking at the season as a whole rather than just yesterday, I think that Johnson is keeping the evolution rolling within the squad. Back in the day, when there were no "windows" Bill Shankly could change a squad in a season without anyone really noticing it had happened. GJ has added Henderson, Vasko, Elliott, Sproule, McIndoe, Byfield, Trundle and now Carle and Adebola, and if his rehab continues well Brooker would almost be a new addition too.

He has moved a few on as well, quietly and gradually removing some that did a job last season. Keogh (nearly) Russell, Betsy, Jevons and Enoch are almost definitely out of the picture and there must be some doubt about JMW for the future.

The "clubs in the bag" analogy that GJ likes to use, couldn't be more apt with the last two signings, a new busy and attack minded midfield player and an extra alternative up front, making the preferred 4-4-1-1 formation but also 4-3-1-2 and good old 4-4-2 solid options.

I think a 3rd signing may have been a perfect Jan for him, but it seems that for whatever reason the Joe Garner/Keogh deal didn't work out. I don't know what Garner's contract situation is like, but it wouldn't be a surprise to find him on the shopping list in the next window.

So in summary we have, in the space of 6 months, added greater quality and flexibility to our squad without damaging the comraderie and work ethic so beloved by the Management team and that has got us so far so quickly.

More evidence, if really required, of GJ's ability.

Archived