IGNORED

Team V Sheffield Weds

Haster

i know we are just getting over today but lets go forward people say GJ picked the wrong team today so who would u pick for next week??? I would love to see this team!!!

.............BASSO..

.............ORR..........FONTAINE........CAREY.......MCCALLISTER...........

............SPROULE......CARLE..........ELLIOTT........MCINDOE.............

...........ADEBOLA..TRUNDLE...

if carey is fit :fingerscrossed:

SUBS

WEALE

VASKO

BYFIELD

MURRAY

NOBLE

over to u

i know we are just getting over today but lets go forward people say GJ picked the wrong team today so who would u pick for next week??? I would love to see this team!!!

.............BASSO..

.............ORR..........MCCOMBE........CAREY.......MCCALLISTER...........

Why would you pick McCombe over Fontaine?! Other than that spot on.

.............BASSO..

.............ORR..........FONTAINE........CAREY.......MCCALLISTER...........

if carey is fit :fingerscrossed:

SUBS

WEALE

VASKO

BYFIELD

MURRAY

NOBLE

over to u

it amazes me that people don't even put LJ on the bench. granted, i havnt seen a game since cardiff because of holidays and ill-health but the half dozen or so matches ive seen hes played well. everything iv read lately said hes been playing really well and him and elliott have forged somewhat of a good midfield partnership. feel free to correct me if I'm wrong as I'm not claiming to be all-knowing but i think LJ and ME are the first names on the team sheet.

anyways, pretty happy because (bad knee permitting) am goin to the wednesday match and away to s****horpe, so against wednesday i would like to see...

-----------------Basso-----------------------

Orr--------Carey----Fontaine----McCallister

Sproule--Johnson---Elliott--------McIndoe

------------------Carle-----------------------

----------------Trundle----------------------

maybe adebola instead of trundle but still believe trundle is going to come good

I'm constantly amazed at some peoples love of 4-4-2.

OK, if it works, terrific, but for us, as yesterday showed, it doesn't and if you contrast the two teams you can see why.

QPR's strikers had great movement, skill & pace and our two had none of the above.

When we play 4-4-1-1, we retain possession and score goals on most occassions and that formation has heralded some great performances like Sheff Utd at home and our terrific second half dispay against Norwich.Last seasin it saw us beat Carlisle & Rotherham 3-1 & Yeovil 2-0 in the run in.

If you don't have a top drawer striker, and we don't by any calculation, playing two, three or six of them doesn't help and the only way we'll add pace to the centre of the attack is to recall JMW!!

My Team against Weds:

4-4-1-1

......BASSO.................

RIBIERO...............CAREY..............FONTAINE......MCALLISTER.........

SPROULE..............ELLIOTT............CARLE............MCINDOE............

..................NOBLE.....................

..................ADEBOLA................

SUBS

WEALE

SKUSE

TRUNDLE

BYFIELD

MURRAY or VASKO.

I would consider Vasko more a forward replacement and a target man than a CB.

DB, SM & LT are also good impact players and Skuse can cover most positions apart from the forward ones.

Formations are largely irrelevant. Players win matches and players lose matches. We lost that game because 11 players had off days all at once, not because Johnson played 4-4-2 or played Carle on the wing (which worked fine v Blackpool I assume). Obviously playing players out of postion isn't going to help them play to their best, but I refuse to believe that the whole team played poorly because we played with two strikers.

I'm guessing that Gary hoped that Adebola and Byfield would win the physical battle against the QPR defence, giving our midfielders a bit more time to play. Unfortunately it didn't work, but because the players didn't do their jobs, not because the tactics were completely wrong.

That said, I personally would have gone 4-5-1. I was surprised at Johnson's decision but I've had a go at understanding it, rather than just blaming it.

For next week I would go 4-5-1 also:

..........Basso

...Orr......Carey......Fontaine....McAllister

..Sproule....Johnson...Elliot...McIndoe

........Carle

......Trundle

Subs: Weale, Vasko, Skuse, Byfield, Adebola

OK, if it works, terrific, but for us, as yesterday showed, it doesn't and if you contrast the two teams you can see why.

QPR's strikers had great movement, skill & pace and our two had none of the above.

When we play 4-4-1-1, we retain possession and score goals on most occassions and that formation has heralded some great performances like Sheff Utd at home and our terrific second half dispay against Norwich.Last seasin it saw us beat Carlisle & Rotherham 3-1 & Yeovil 2-0 in the run in.

If you don't have a top drawer striker, and we don't by any calculation, playing two, three or six of them doesn't help and the only way we'll add pace to the centre of the attack is to recall JMW!!

My Team against Weds:

4-4-1-1

......BASSO....

RIBIERO..CAREY.FONTAINE......MCALLISTER.........

SPROULE.ELLIOTT............CARLE............MCINDOE............

.....NOBLE........

.....ADEBOLA...

SUBS

WEALE

SKUSE

TRUNDLE

BYFIELD

MURRAY or VASKO.

DB, SM & LT are also good impact players and Skuse can cover most positions apart from the forward ones.

BB did Orr and Johnson realy play that bad to be droped out of the 16?

I have never seen Orr as a good footballer he just works hard i don,t think that is enough in the CCC I also think its Carle or LJ not both so i suppose iam agrreing with you its also about time he picked on ability and not age

.............BASSO..

.............ORR..........FONTAINE........VASKO/CAREY.......MCCALLISTER...........

SUBS:

WEALE

MCCOMBE

BYFIELD

JOHNSON

VASKO IF CAREY IS FIT :fingerscrossed:

MURRAY

My Team against Weds:

4-4-1-1

......BASSO....

RIBIERO..CAREY.FONTAINE......MCALLISTER.........

SPROULE.ELLIOTT............CARLE............MCINDOE............

.....NOBLE........

.....ADEBOLA...

SUBS

WEALE

SKUSE

TRUNDLE

BYFIELD

MURRAY or VASKO.

Any thoughts on 3-5-2 formation, i know this seasons 'success' has been built on 4-4-2 & 4-4-1-1 but always liked being set up with 3 at the back.

Basso

Carey Fontaine McAllister

Sproule Johnson Carle Elliott McIndoe

Adebola Trundle.

----------------------Basso (Seriously considering Weale)---------

---Orr ------ Carey -------Fonts-------McAllister---

--Sproule ---Elliot ---------Johnson---- Mcindoe--

--------------Adebola------Trundle-------------

SUBS

Skuse

Byfield

Weale

Noble

Carle (Can you really see him dropping johno?)

I believe Byfield needs a break because he showed no effort yesterday and only seems like the off the bench type at the moment.

I have no room for McCombe but if we have to replace a centre back i think Skuse should go there, does anyone remember skuse's first game, he played centre back and looked a Rock!

Any thoughts on 3-5-2 formation, i know this seasons 'success' has been built on 4-4-2 & 4-4-1-1 but always liked being set up with 3 at the back.

Basso

Carey Fontaine McAllister

Sproule Johnson Carle Elliott McIndoe

Adebola Trundle.

I to would like to see 3 at the back

-----------------------------------Basso---------------------------------------------

--------------Vasko------------Carey-----------------Fontaine--------------------

--Sproule-----------Johnson----------------Elliott---------------Mcindoe--------------------

----------------------------------Carle--------------------------------------

-----------------Adebola----------------------Trundle-----------------------------

I don't see how some people can consider 3 at the back with 2 wingers when we've just conceded 3...

I think we play better 4 4 1 1 with noble in the hole so I'm going for

Basso

Orr Carey Fontaine Mcallister

Sproule Elliot Carle Mcindoe

Noble

Adebola

.............BASSO..

.............ORR..........FONTAINE........VASKO/CAREY.......MCCALLISTER...........

SUBS:

WEALE

MCCOMBE

BYFIELD

JOHNSON

VASKO IF CAREY IS FIT :fingerscrossed:

MURRAY

Do you really think it is best to have 4 centre backs in the 16. Sounds negative and does not give GJ too many options to change the game. Unless of course you are anticipating the centres backs having another nightmare and needing to be replaced.

-----------------------Basso----------------------------

--Orr--------Carey----------Fontaine-----McAllister--

--Sproule----Johnson-------Elliott--------McIndoe---

---------------Adebola-------Trundle------------------

Weale

Vasko

Wilson

Carle

Byfield

442 at home, potentially gamechanging subs in Carle, Byfield and Vasko and cover for all wide positions in Wilson.

If they can't keep the ball on the deck using a 442 I'd haul Adebola off and put Carle on.

I'd also get cracking on signing a quick striker on a loan (with a fee agreed if necessary) at about 6am tomorrow morning.

-----------------------Basso----------------------------

--Orr--------Carey----------Fontaine-----McAllister--

--Murray----Carle-------Elliott--------McIndoe---

---------------Adebola-------Sproule------------------

Subs

Weale

McCombe

Johnson

Byfield

Trundle

A front two with pace and power, complimented by two balanced banks of four.

This is the only way that I believe we can persist with a 4-4-2 formation and gives us more exciting attacking options to boot. Dele often played alongside the speedy Mifsud at Coventry and I'd have no qualms about partnering our new recruit alongside Ivan, who despite scoring just two goals this season, knows how to terrorise defenders with pace; and beat them.

Carle operating in central midfield can supply ammunition to the forwards and wingmen, and hopefullly some attacking bursts to support the front two.

If Carey is fit enough to renew his vows with Fontaine then it'll be a marriage made in heaven to provide the foundation for our promotion push.

Archived