IGNORED

Do We Lack Real Pace

always hoping

May sound controversal, but with the exception of Sproul and the powerful running of Elliot, our team is made up of mainly average to slow players.

Quicker top players like Fontaine and Mckindoe have done well this term in the CCC but they themselves are not truely pacey. Unfortunately the majority of our other players seem to struggle whenever they come up against the type of pace & quality you would have expected on this league. (Apologies for generalising but just trying to make a point.)

The lads have done remarkably well to win so many points this season and the manager and team deserve every respect for that. Howver if we truely believe the Premiership is the goal then this will a problem we have to resolve.

Whether the problem needs to be addressed to aid our push for promotion is one for GJ. Vasko's removal yesterday and Liam's introduction suggests that team selection for future games will take this into account. IE horses for courses.

The lads have done remarkably well to win so many points this season

So why are we complaining about their pace?

and the manager and team deserve every respect for that. Howver if we truely believe the Premiership is the goal then this will a problem we have to resolve.

we are building a squad which is improving. Should we perform well enough to get promoted it will be an excellent boost. We can't just feed them gunpowder and hope they run faster. I am sure the squad will continue to evolve over the coming seasons and we will improve in many departments. In the meantime lets celebrate the efforts of those who have got us into this fabulous position and are working their hardest to make it even better for us.

Yesterday we started with no pace and caused no problems. 2nd half we introduced Sproule and Fotaine it made a big difference, we created chances and stopped giving lots to them.

But we still haven't got that pacy striker I really thought we would sign in the window :(

But this is exactly the problem. Everyone expected or hoped we would stay up in around a middle league position and gradually improve the team/squad. This is what we are doing so i really see no reason to complain - oh except we're third. We can't sign Linford Christie and Colin Jackson...

But this is exactly the problem. Everyone expected or hoped we would stay up in around a middle league position and gradually improve the team/squad. This is what we are doing so i really see no reason to complain - oh except we're third. We can't sign Linford Christie and Colin Jackson...

So you accept slipping into mediocrity because less than that was expected?

But now we are in third and capable of finishing in the top 6, it is disapointing we didn't make the signing and disapointing we started with the team we did.

Delighted with the position so far. Could it be improved- of course.

So you accept slipping into mediocrity because less than that was expected?

I don't recall saying that. Third is not mediocre. We can't just go and find 6 sprinters to play in the team and dump the rest. I think that for this stage in our progression we're doing just fine and a bit more. I will accept though that we won't play teams off the park like we did last season at times. Thanks

we are building a squad which is improving. Should we perform well enough to get promoted it will be an excellent boost. We can't just feed them gunpowder and hope they run faster. I am sure the squad will continue to evolve over the coming seasons and we will improve in many departments. In the meantime lets celebrate the efforts of those who have got us into this fabulous position and are working their hardest to make it even better for us.

Certainly did not intend to knock the lads. They are all doing their best and have got us near the top of the table.

Can see by the tone of your responses that you too have he clubs interests at heart. I was simply looking to share an opinion on a current situation we find ourselves in. This forum is an ideal place to have these sort of open debates with like minded City fans..

I don't think it's a lock of pace, I think City have stopped playing the sort of football that got them to the top of the table. The sort of short passing game (triangles) that has got pundits like Peter Begrie waxing lyrical about our football. As others have commented we have started to by-pass the midfield, giving the ball away in all sorts of wrong areas of the pitch. In short we are not creating nearly enough chances, most will have noticed that we have scored most of our goals of late from set pieces rather than open play, which tells its own story.

Trundle for instance gets a bit of stick, but how many clear cut chances has be had the oportunity to finish or miss, I honestly cannot think of to many. Whilst I think if Byfield was honest he would admit to being disapointed with his contribution yesterday but even so he was not presented with many chances, simply becuase City are not keeping the ball. Yesterday was a bad day from start to finish in my view, wrong formation, player selection and to many players not applying themselves properly.

The good news is, is that we all know what the team is capabable of and playing the crisp passing football was very succesful in the cup games last season and again for many games this season. Sheffield United at home a prime example. And just beacuse Dele Adebola is a big physical player doesn't mean we have to lump the ball forward at every oportunity, I'm sure he would much prefer the ball back from the by-line. Hw showed is is no slouch on the deck with his effort against the post. Let's get back to basics, play the wide men (Sroule played a great ball across the six yard box in the 2nd half yesterday - we need more of that) put Nick Carle in alongside Elliott and do what has proved succesfull for us. The first 15 mins of the 2nd half at the Palace showed that when we play like this we can match most teams at this level, fail do do this and we look very ordinary.

Gary Johnson teams have always been hard working organised and play good football its not a disaster at all, we just need to revert to what we are good at.

I don't think it's a lock of pace, I think City have stopped playing the sort of football that got them to the top of the table. The sort of short passing game (triangles) that has got pundits like Peter Begrie waxing lyrical about our football. As others have commented we have started to by-pass the midfield, giving the ball away in all sorts of wrong areas of the pitch. In short we are not creating nearly enough chances, most will have noticed that we have scored most of our goals of late from set pieces rather than open play, which tells its own story.

Trundle for instance gets a bit of stick, but how many clear cut chances has be had the oportunity to finish or miss, I honestly cannot think of to many. Whilst I think if Byfield was honest he would admit to being disapointed with his contribution yesterday but even so he was not presented with many chances, simply becuase City are not keeping the ball. Yesterday was a bad day from start to finish in my view, wrong formation, player selection and to many players not applying themselves properly.

The good news is, is that we all know what the team is capabable of and playing the crisp passing football was very succesful in the cup games last season and again for many games this season. Sheffield United at home a prime example. And just beacuse Dele Adebola is a big physical player doesn't mean we have to lump the ball forward at every oportunity, I'm sure he would much prefer the ball back from the by-line. Hw showed is is no slouch on the deck with his effort against the post. Let's get back to basics, play the wide men (Sroule played a great ball across the six yard box in the 2nd half yesterday - we need more of that) put Nick Carle in alongside Elliott and do what has proved succesfull for us. The first 15 mins of the 2nd half at the Palace showed that when we play like this we can match most teams at this level, fail do do this and we look very ordinary.

Gary Johnson teams have always been hard working organised and play good football its not a disaster at all, we just need to revert to what we are good at.

Yes, but following the 3-2 win against Barnsley, we've only scored 6 League goals in the last 7 games.

Trundle and Byfield have shown no recent form whatsoever to deserve a start, but they're currently all we have aside from Dele. Aren't forwards able to create their own chances, or must they be laid on a plate?

Trundle and Byfield aren't able to beat the last man with their skill, and are devoid of any pace which could give them some advantage.

Unless a speedy loanee is recruited soon then I would go with Ivan Sproule alongside Dele in a 4-4-2 and play Murray on the right flank with Wilson as cover.

Yes, but following the 3-2 win against Barnsley, we've only scored 6 League goals in the last 7 games.

Trundle and Byfield have shown no recent form whatsoever to deserve a start, but they're currently all we have aside from Dele. Aren't forwards able to create their own chances, or must they be laid on a plate?

Trundle and Byfield aren't able to beat the last man with their skill, and are devoid of any pace which could give them some advantage.

Unless a speedy loanee is recruited soon then I would go with Ivan Sproule alongside Dele in a 4-4-2 and play Murray on the right flank with Wilson as cover.

Not sure about your use of stats there mate- they could say anything over a time period, to be fair, we haven't scored as many as we'd like but I'm not so sure Ivan's the man up front. He is best with space to run into but hasn't the awareness in the box for me

Not sure about your use of stats there mate- they could say anything over a time period, to be fair, we haven't scored as many as we'd like but I'm not so sure Ivan's the man up front. He is best with space to run into but hasn't the awareness in the box for me

Well, perhaps Ivan could learn by playing there, and he's the best square peg to fit a round hole that we've got in reserve, because Trundle and Byfield aren't good enough.

To put my stats in cold hard context, we 'aint scoring enough and if City don't improve those figures we'll rapidly drop down the table.

By the way, who would you play up front?

Archived