IGNORED

Marvin Elliott - Needs A Rest - Very Poor Lately

scumbag

suprised now one else has mentioned it, but Marvin Elliott has been Very Poor recently especially in the last few away games, which beckons the question why hasn't he been dropped yet? We have an more than able replacement in Cole Skuse who has constantly been getting interest from higher league clubs and surely there must come a time when he gets his chance to prove one way or another if he's good enough at this level.

Marvin started the season well, but in the last few games he's been below par (but has glossed over it with a few goals) looks like he needs a rest to me as the last fews games he's just not controlling the midfield.

why is he the first name on the teamsheet everyweek without fail? perhaps he's taking his place for Granted?

Form is temporary, class is permanent. Perhaps the transfer talk unsettled him, anyway I'd agree if he isnt upto scratch give him a rest for a couple of games and let him earn his way back into the team. Problem is, the majority are ready to jump on GJ at the slightest opportunity so resting Elliot may backfire badly on him if we lose and he is benched.

Tricky one.......

Ive never quite understood why a professional athelete in this day and age, would need a "rest"

Agreed.

30 years ago players played as many, if not more games ( half a dozen replays if necessary in cup ties). They didn't have calorie controlled diets, so that most pre-match meals consisted of steak and chips, and didn't have scientifically controlled training regimes. The balls they pused back then weren't the light beach balls they use today and for half the season they played on pitches that made weston beach look like a bowls green (for some of the time I'm sure that Derby's pitch WAS Weston beach).

Despite this, many players played the vast majority of games in a season and wouldn't want a rest for fear they might lose their place in the team.

Millwall fans did say he used to burn out around January when the pitches got heavier.

But isn't it great how we can talk about dropping the player of the season so far and replace him with another good player in Skuse?! Same with dropping LJ and bringing someone with the quality of Carle??

Agreed.

30 years ago players played as many, if not more games ( half a dozen replays if necessary in cup ties). They didn't have calorie controlled diets, so that most pre-match meals consisted of steak and chips, and didn't have scientifically controlled training regimes. The balls they pused back then weren't the light beach balls they use today and for half the season they played on pitches that made weston beach look like a bowls green (for some of the time I'm sure that Derby's pitch WAS Weston beach).

Despite this, many players played the vast majority of games in a season and wouldn't want a rest for fear they might lose their place in the team.

But the general level of fitness was much worse than it is today. The only reason it didn't show was because everyone was at the same level, fitness wise.

Elliot could play the rest of the season without a break, but he would probably be a little bit fresher if he had a week off. I wouldn't drop him though.

Guest ashtonyate
suprised now one else has mentioned it, but Marvin Elliott has been Very Poor recently especially in the last few away games, which beckons the question why hasn't he been dropped yet? We have an more than able replacement in Cole Skuse who has constantly been getting interest from higher league clubs and surely there must come a time when he gets his chance to prove one way or another if he's good enough at this level.

Marvin started the season well, but in the last few games he's been below par (but has glossed over it with a few goals) looks like he needs a rest to me as the last fews games he's just not controlling the midfield.

why is he the first name on the teamsheet everyweek without fail? perhaps he's taking his place for Granted?

The style that we play all the midfield has to work very hard it comes by not having a credible forward line what helped us in the first half of the season was the international breaks to give the time to rest now they are playing ever week some times twice

I don't know whether any of you can remember the incident, but Marvin got a whack towards the end of the Colchester match at AG on 12th January. He was noticably hobbling, but wasn't substituted and this may explain that he's not 100% fit and playing in the full-blooded style we've taken for granted.

Archived