IGNORED

A General Rant

Barrs Court Red

What a depressing season this is turning out to be given the promise it had!

How soon people forget the dark days of Pulis, the nearly years of Wilson and the abject failure of Tins (unfortunately). The better City do, the more people seem to moan and expect the earth from a side that was struggling to get out of, and indeed lucky to get out of league one last season.

This season looked to be starting on a real high, Championship football against the old enemy like QPR, Plymouth and Cardiff, top sides like Sheff United and West Brom and more Tuesday night matches thanks to international breaks.

Given our initial success up until October everyone seemed to be taking progress with a pinch of salt, but excepting our shortcomings when they were in evidence because of course we weren't expected to be in such a position.

unfortunately this feel good factor started to wear thin around this point. With City keeping their place at the top of the league, suddenly expectations started to rise, the Premiership starts to be mentioned in dark rooms, people dare to start believing we have a good side. Rumours appear of a new stadium development, a new million pound training facility is started! Progress is there for all to see, but it's not enough!

The vocal minority of moaners in the ground, and on radio Bristol suddenly manage to get their pessimistic, naive and tired views heard again, as we move on into xmas the calls for the mythical proven goal scorer start to drown out the sensible question of "where will they come from". Suddenly it's in the vogue to slate Lee Johnson again, mainly because it's all some people know.

Now we reach feb. People have well and truly lost the plot. Not getting promoted is will now be a "disaster", the clamour to moan at the manager is probably at its highest since our 10 game losing streak, mainly because "The proven goal scorer" did not appear.

Before the season NO ONE would have thought we'd be where we are at this point. Johnson and the players have done City proud this season. Away from home we've come badly unstuck, but who actually thought that wouldn't happen this season?

Moving away from the playing side and the negativity that some spread like a cancer, a new theme seems to be to moan about fans. If it's not City fans moaning about the evil early leavers, it's others moaning about non existent "Trouble". Some looking for a rise, others actually and embarrassingly serious about their points.

I do wonder if some actually went to away matches before this season. Badly treated by the police? I can give you a list as long as my arm about poor treatment going back a decade, yet in the past no one cared - We probably deserved it eh? Reading about the treatment of City fans at QPR makes me sick, even sicker knowing, like Walsall, nothing will come of it.

It's one of the reasons I don't bother going away now, the new breed of away fan that is. We've always travelled well in large numbers to most players, but the make up of that away support has changed from what I can remember. Not that long ago a trip to places like QPR or West Brom would see a really passionate away support really belting out some noise. Now it seems very few actually bother - I have no idea why this has happened. Any ideas?

No thread will be complete with out a mention of the East End, and what a disappointment it has been. Fair play to the 250 that get in there, but compared to the odd occasions its been opened in previous seasons where a decent number have managed to get in, it's just not the same. T

This season should be quality, but it's not. I'm fed up of people moaning and whining, nit picking and winding up. I look forward to matches all week, yet normally find myself fed up, as you can be sure in the pub before hand some one within earshot is moaning about something unimportant, and then following the game you can be sure walking out you'll hear moaning, ready for bigger moans the moment you turn on the radio phone ins. You can't even read a topic on this forum without someone making the most absurd comments, or looking for a nibble.

The only thing that is important to me is this;

We've done well to get where we are, possibly overachieving. Off the field the club is making huge steps to expand.

Can't really see why there is so much gloom given the above, and I've always been negative!

Yeah sorry I've just rambled on, but deary me I'm fed up! I've never been the most high brow or serious of posters, but dear god compared to some of the idiots given access to a computer I considermyself fairly normal!

Good Posting, Pretty much sums up how I've felt about this season to date.

it's strange, I don't post so much anymore because of the general pessmistic feeling that is a constant issue on this damn forum, anyone would think we reading this forum, that we have been in this divsion for years and we MUST get to the prem or we will go bust.

but away from this forum in the real world, it does seem people in general are enjoying this season and just can't believe how well we are doing and are happy to enjoy the ride as long as it lasts, if we don't go up (which I honestly don't think we will) it's not the end of the world and just for a change we've had a bloody enjoyable season and the long term looks good as the club continues to grow.

Yeah it is strange I am so happy with City at the moment but whenever I come away from Ashton Gate and listen to the Radio or come on here I feel like we are battling to stay up I really would not blame Gary if he turned round and said I cant be assed with you moaners anymore and just walked around.

We don't really deserve him in my opinion.

Yeah it is strange I am so happy with City at the moment but whenever I come away from Ashton Gate and listen to the Radio or come on here I feel like we are battling to stay up I really would not blame Gary if he turned round and said I cant be assed with you moaners anymore and just walked around.

We don't really deserve him in my opinion.

Why don't we deserve him? The fans pay his and the players wages.... i mean I'm not disagreeing with you as i feel there are some morons at AG who do shout abuse at the players when they don't perform but surely as a paying fan they have a right to express how they feel?

I'm sure GJ won't just leave cos some of the regular 15k at AG ain't happy...

Whilst I agree with the above posters sentiments I have to add that I remember when we were in Division 1 (the Prem). We need to be back there and there is no settling for second best.

I agree that GJ has been great for us. He is new to managing in the Championship and is learning. To have a son in the team is a target if that player is not one of the stars. I live in Canada and only watch 2 games a year so I am not qualified to say whether LJ is at that level or not. However, IMO, GJ is setting up his son if he continues to play him and he is not at that level. Such favouritism can ruin a club and its not fair to LJ.

After reading Bristol Boys match report from Saturday which I felt was very well written and some friends who went to the game felt it was an accurate rendition of what went on I can understand how ambitious people form increased expectations and somewhat feel that this is human and there is nothing wrong in wanting the best for your team.

I was a little disappointed with the transfer window and felt if we are chasing the dream we could have been more aggressive. Pulis and Laws have both stated they are going after more loan players.

We all remember the "Pulis" days and GJ is a better manager and motivator. But is he aggressive enough to make the right decisions.?

I will probably be labelled as a moaner again. I am not the sort to boo our team as some at QPR but I do want the best for our team and expect the highest standard

I tend to agree with Moomin's point about expectations changing, I was dreading that happening and it certainly has. At the start of the season losing an away match wouldn't have been cause for concern at all and now it is.

In some ways though that's positive, GJ and his team have overachieved and we now expect more of them based on that.

It does seem to me that the number of "negative" posts on this forum is always grossly exaggerated and even then still vastly outnumbered by the posts complaining about negativity.

When one controversial poster makes a deliberately provocative negative post, the rush of dozens of others to shout them down only creates a far worse impression.

Perhaps it's simply that the controversial will always generate more discussion than the the obvious and when things are going so well the only thing controversial is criticism whether it be well aimed and constructive or misdirected and illegible.

Whilst I agree with the above posters sentiments I have to add that I remember when we were in Division 1 (the Prem). We need to be back there and there is no settling for second best.

Why exactly do we NEED to be there? We have no divine right to be there because by all standards we are a SMALL club.We would be well out of our league in the Premier League, we arent even an established championship club! We would be next seasons Derby if we went up, I cant see how we would do any better?

I agree that GJ has been great for us. He is new to managing in the Championship and is learning. To have a son in the team is a target if that player is not one of the stars. I live in Canada and only watch 2 games a year so I am not qualified to say whether LJ is at that level or not. However, IMO, GJ is setting up his son if he continues to play him and he is not at that level. Such favouritism can ruin a club and its not fair to LJ.

How many threads you going to say that in? Like i said in the other thread, LJ IS ONE OF THE STARS of our team, and like you've said you hardly watch us so are basing your criticism on the views of many posters who IMHO have no real grasp of the tactical side of football. If youve ever played in Center Midfield you would see how much LJ does.

After reading Bristol Boys match report from Saturday which I felt was very well written and some friends who went to the game felt it was an accurate rendition of what went on I can understand how ambitious people form increased expectations and somewhat feel that this is human and there is nothing wrong in wanting the best for your team.

I was a little disappointed with the transfer window and felt if we are chasing the dream we could have been more aggressive. Pulis and Laws have both stated they are going after more loan players.

Like GJ said... Loan players are players that other teams don't want. Realistically who would you have wanted?

We all remember the "Pulis" days and GJ is a better manager and motivator. But is he aggressive enough to make the right decisions.?

I 100% support GJs team selection on Saturday, simply because its the same standard that has seen us stay in the top 3/4 all season. don't change a winning side unless forced too. In hindsight it may have not been the correct selection, but i praise him for going with the pattern that has brought success

I will probably be labelled as a moaner again. I am not the sort to boo our team as some at QPR but I do want the best for our team and expect the highest standard

Not a moaner, just different views and oppinions, but then again thats what a forum's about

Amazing post.

I used to be a regular poster on this forum, but too be honest its gone downhill. (With no disrespect to the guys who run the forum.)

I read the forum every now and then and find it depressing, boring, and quite frankly a poor account of what our football club is really like which frustrates the hell out of me.

God knows what supporters of other clubs think when they read what some people on here have to say, its pretty embarrassing really. I am randomly a regular poster on a Leeds forum and they can't believe how negative otib is, and look what has happened to their club!

I was gunned down about this time last year for saying we will be promoted to the Championship and that if we got there we had the ability and the manager to compete with any team in this division. I was shot down so most of the others who believed too gave up. I'm sure if I were to troll through the archive there would be alot of red faces who consistently doubted our players, manager, chairman etc!

The worrying thing is we are in an even better position now and the same thing is going on!

(and always the same tedious posters)

Very good post moomin, respect to you pal.

I have stopped looking on the forum on the two days after a match as the knee jerk reactions are just astounding. Either way the result goes, we're either lucky or we're appalling. Plus, after getting some personal abuse if you disagree with the general concensus, i have better things to do with my time!

Still, i love this club and i go to nearly every game, so i wont be put off by some people. I want to contribute to the debate. However, i think the forum, despite taking itself way to seriously(!) is a fair reflection of our fan base. This wont be popular, but a lot of our fans have very little knowledge of football but want to shout their mouths off. It is very frustrating to hear. After the disgraceful cheering when Lee Johnson was withdrawn, 2 minutes later when McIndoe gave the ball away, some fat moron behind me greeted it with 'Johnson you c***, get off'. When i told him that he was off, he replied 'he's still a c*** though'. Tool.

We are in a fantastic position, down to the hard work and attitude of the players, and more importantly, the superb management of Sir Gary of Johnson. Back the manager, he is the best thing to happen to this club in 25 years.

I'm enjoying this season and it is our first season in the championship where everyone is on a learning curve,

games like qpr will happen but there are not regular, i hate it when we lose but this season i am realistic that up

to this point in the season we have done very well and we are staying up (which was my target for us this term)

anything else now would be a bonus as i really thought we would need 2 or 3 seasons finding our feet in this league

before we pushed on, IF we go up this season i would be proud as punch but it is a BIG IF and i will take each game

as it comes now, the prem would be great but we could end up 2 ways like a wigan/reading or a derby and god

forbid being a derby the moaning on here is bad now!! but imagine getting dicked each week in the prem then reading

otib!!! lets enjoy this season and take stock on how well we have done so far, we will learn from saturday and we will

get better.. patience is the key! i for one am just glad to be out of that shite hole called league one.

have faith....

Great post and a great read.

The main problem is, as you have said, is that expectations have changed. We have gone from "lets enjoy this season, get to 50 points and stay up" to "we have got to get promoted this season without fail". Why? I have no idea. Personally, I am enjoying this season more than any I can remember.

GJ has worked miracles in his time at the club, he has built a great team spirit and the players all seem to want to do a good job for him and the club. Yet because we have had such a good season so far (IMO we have over achieved up to a point) some people are now believing that we are the biggest club in the CCC and believe that we have a divine right to get promoted to the Premiership.. We don't have that right, in fact no club does.

There are people crying out for a goalscorer. Trouble is with that (IMO) is who and where from? During the January sales the only people for sale are the ones other clubs don't want, or you have to pay over the top for anyone else. I think the strike force we have got now (with Dele) is fine and should be enough to keep us up where we are. From the games I have seen this season, we havent missed lots of sitters or lots of opportunities...

And the Lee Johnson bashing! FFS get a grip, I ignore it now, give the lad a break, he is a quality player and I know I would get down heartened and lose confidence if I had to put up with the abuse he gets..

Anyway, great season so far, a few defeats which are always going to happen in this league, but not as many as I would have thought of at the start of the season. Get behind the team, manager & club - they are making massive improvements all the time and this has to be the best time to be a City supporter for a long time!!

Cheers for the feed back fellas, I thought I was going to get slated!

no mate, spot on.

only moan i got is about allowing more people to enjoy the EE but that is not the fault

of GJ or the players, however i'm enjoying being in there with some positive fans and

i don't really hear the LJ or player bashing in there, but hey we shall keep on going..

I don't post on this forum, but I read it most days and have been a member since I can't remember.

I concur with Moomin, we are in the best position I've ever known (having followed the team since 1996). We (usually) play some damn good football,we've got a fabulous manager etc etc. It's all been said already, there's no need for me to repeat it all.

I get tired of the people who slate LJ - I thought he had a fairly good game on Saturday, not great, but better than most. I sit with a couple of LJ 'haters' (I use the term loosely) and they seem to see things I don't with him. I don't quite understand it.

The thing that bothers me the most though, is people telling me that I'm not allowed to complain. Just because we are 3rd in the Championship does not mean that I am going to brush away a diabolical performance. I went a long way on Saturday, was treated abomibly (sp?) by the police and watched my team roll over and die from the first whistle. I don't see why I should be ok with that just because we're near the top.

I was cross last week, ok, we beat Blackpool, but take Elliott's super strike out, and did we look like scoring? No, we didn't, we didn't come close, just like we didn't against QPR on Saturday. Why should a fantastic league position mean that I'm not allowed to be annoyed at the way we played?

This is the best season of my life. Doesn't make it perfect.

Up the City, come on you Reds.

I don't post on this forum, but I read it most days and have been a member since I can't remember.

I concur with Moomin, we are in the best position I've ever known (having followed the team since 1996). We (usually) play some damn good football,we've got a fabulous manager etc etc. It's all been said already, there's no need for me to repeat it all.

I get tired of the people who slate LJ - I thought he had a fairly good game on Saturday, not great, but better than most. I sit with a couple of LJ 'haters' (I use the term loosely) and they seem to see things I don't with him. I don't quite understand it.

The thing that bothers me the most though, is people telling me that I'm not allowed to complain. Just because we are 3rd in the Championship does not mean that I am going to brush away a diabolical performance. I went a long way on Saturday, was treated abomibly (sp?) by the police and watched my team roll over and die from the first whistle. I don't see why I should be ok with that just because we're near the top.

I was cross last week, ok, we beat Blackpool, but take Elliott's super strike out, and did we look like scoring? No, we didn't, we didn't come close, just like we didn't against QPR on Saturday. Why should a fantastic league position mean that I'm not allowed to be annoyed at the way we played?

Up the City, come on you Reds.

I think GJ is trying to accommodate current and new signings to which we play the midfield system that we do and it is set up to nick 1-0 and 2-0 wins, and the odd draw, yep gary johnson got it wrong at qpr playing carle out wide but

it's a rare thing him getting it wrong, i do however still belive that we should play 4-4-2 and it has to be one or the other in carle or johnson along side elliott so we can get the best out of our wide players and get a settled striking partnership which city has yet to do, but hey i'm not going to scream the place down over it, keep plugging away city

you won't please everyone,,, onwards and upwards..

Now we reach feb. People have well and truly lost the plot. Not getting promoted is will now be a "disaster", the clamour to moan at the manager is probably at its highest since our 10 game losing streak, mainly because "The proven goal scorer" did not appear.

I'm just wallowing in the glory of our current league position. :clapping:

It's been almost 30 years of mainly mediocre football and now I wake up each morning feeling great to be a Bristol City FC supporter. :icecream:

Be a Red Goblin not a Gin Goblin.....

goblins_TWOTHOUSANDANDHATE.jpg

I don't see why I should be ok with that just because we're near the top.

Course it's not perfect. Never will be.

All we're asking for is a bit of realism and perspective, and an acknowledgement of how far we've come in such a short space of time.

In terms of our support at games and how it's changed this season...I think there's a mixture. The new breed of football fan that can afford Ashton Gate prices and demand instant success and also the golden oldies who remember the late 70's and think BCFC should be a Premiership team by divine right.

These are the fans that peddle around the negativity and think they are above singing and shouting encouragement for the team.

But there we go...it's the McDonaldisation, gentrification of football, whatever you want to call it and it's probably never going to get any better from here.

Gary Johnson must have thought he'd taken over a sleeping giant in 2005, I thought he did to be fair. Now I'm not so sure and I'd imagine nor is he.

Gary Johnson must have thought he'd taken over a sleeping giant in 2005, I thought he did to be fair. Now I'm not so sure and I'd imagine nor is he.

The highest average gates for BCFC top flight season football - periods 1906-11, 1976-80 were around 25,000. I'm not sure gates of 25,000 put us in the 'sleeping giant' category but they would finance us as a current average Premier league side.

Based on where we are now and where we've been all season, it would be extremely disappointing to not make the playoff's at least......

however......

I fully expect us to drop on the basis that we've been punching above our weight, and team spirit can only carry you for so long....

I really do think we'll end up somewhere between 8th & 10th and you know what? I don't care! We'd have finished well above "1st in the league of four at the bottom of the table" that we were hoping for and for that I am so proud of the boys for their achievements this year.

Those guys out on that pitch on a Saturday have battled for OUR club for 90 minutes week in, week out and it is their determination to succeed for OUR club that has put the team where it is.

Yes, I know they're paid to play football and should be working hard etc, etc, but how many players have we had down here over the past 25 years I've been going down that blatantly couldn't be arsed? These guys are doing what they're paid to do, and against other people who are paid one hell of a lot more for the same job.

Moomin, I've often not agreed with you, but with this post you are absolutely spot on. If I had a hat on I'd take it off to you!

Here's to a joyous top 10 finish! :englandsmile4wf:

Totally agree with the first post.

I am seriously beginning to wonder if we really deserve the success we are currently 'enjoying' as increasing numbers of supporters seem incapable of appreciating the fantastic times we are going through, and are therefore dragging down everyone else as a result.

Haven't been away from home this season due to financial constraints and an expanding family, but from what I've heard in most cases I'm glad I didn't. I'm also now paranoid about home games which most of the time are quiet anyway and I'm sure barracking of players will now increase if we don't keep picking up the points.

If I was GJ, I'd question if it's all worth it.

I know I'm being very general here but I'm sick to death of the doom and gloom merchants. Why don't they bugg@r off elsewhere and allow the rest of us to enjoy it !

Thanks for listening.

The highest average gates for BCFC top flight season football - periods 1906-11, 1976-80 were around 25,000. I'm not sure gates of 25,000 put us in the 'sleeping giant' category but they would finance us as a current average Premier league side.

Fair point. I think reality has just hit home that we were a big fish in a small pond in League One, now in truth we are a medium sized club in the Championship let alone the Premiership. Maybe it was the false hope given by us taking 35,000+ fans to three finals at Millennium / Wembley this decade that has left us with a slightly false impression.

I forgot to say in my first post on this thread that football crowds are ageing. Look around most Premiership grounds and will see very few youngsters and the same is happening at AG. I would argue that this trend also breeds cynicism amongst City's audience.

Suddenly it's in the vogue to slate Lee Johnson again, mainly because it's all some people know.

Can I just say, in my own personal defence, I've been slating him all season until January because he has been crap. I didn't slate him last season, because he was good, but in the first half of this season, he was consistently our worst player. And can I say, it's nothing to do with nepotism, because when he first signed I had agood rant at all the others that suggested it would be. In the last few weeks, though, I've been pleasantly surprised and, since January started, he's possibly been our best player.

I don't spend all my time moaning, most of it is spent in high exultations! However, I can occasionally see where we can make improvements. And as I'm sure GJ himself would admit, there's nothing wrong with striving for better whilst enjoying where you are.

Let's be honest, Moomin', apart from ashtonyate, no-one on here moans at EVERYTHING! Yes, there is a lot of moaning, but a lot of people are still enjoying where we are too. Me especially. It's just nice to aim for the top, isn't it?

Let's be honest, Moomin', apart from ashtonyate, no-one on here moans at EVERYTHING! Yes, there is a lot of moaning, but a lot of people are still enjoying where we are too. Me especially. It's just nice to aim for the top, isn't it?

I know what you mean. I'm not specifically on about this forum, the amount of times I've heard "City were rubbish" following a win this season has left me gobsmacked. It's almost like people expect us to batter sides for 90 mins like we have done in league 1. My main gripe with my "Suddenly it's in the vogue to slate Lee Johnson again" comment is the abuse he gets in the ground, it's a recurring comment from people posting on here about how they are fed up with the abuse players are getting, and it seems to involve his name more often than not.

Now don't get me wrong, I don't think people wanting us to achieve above and beyond what is reasonable a bad thing, but I feel some people are totally unrealistic in regards to what they say, be it from the players we bring in to how we should find it a stroll against teams like Blackpool.

I know what you mean. I'm not specifically on about this forum, the amount of times I've heard "City were rubbish" following a win this season has left me gobsmacked. It's almost like people expect us to batter sides for 90 mins like we have done in league 1. My main gripe with my "Suddenly it's in the vogue to slate Lee Johnson again" comment is the abuse he gets in the ground, it's a recurring comment from people posting on here about how they are fed up with the abuse players are getting, and it seems to involve his name more often than not.

Now don't get me wrong, I don't think people wanting us to achieve above and beyond what is reasonable a bad thing, but I feel some people are totally unrealistic in regards to what they say, be it from the players we bring in to how we should find it a stroll against teams like Blackpool.

That's fair enough; one thing I always try and do is give ALL the players my support during a match and along with the (small) group of fans who sit around me, we sing CONSTANTLY throughout the match - unlike many others. Obviously, it can be difficult sometimes when the ball gets given away and you let out the occasional light expletive...!

I think what people need to do, and what you're asking for, is people to quantify what we're after and to speak compartively. That's reasonable enough to ask, I think.

Archived