IGNORED

Can We Cope With Only Three Strikers?

greenun

With Brooker still struggling for fitness at Cheltenham and Showunmi loaned to Sheffield Wednesday until Saturday 1st March, it's likely that we may have only 3 fit strikers to call on for the following fixtures:

Football League Championship Bristol C vs Sheff Wed 09-02-2008

Football League Championship S****horpe vs Bristol C 12-02-2008

Football League Championship Bristol C vs C Palace 16-02-2008

Football League Championship Colchester vs Bristol C 23-02-2008

Trundle missed last Saturday's defeat due to illness leaving Gary Johnson without a substitute on the bench. With the possiblility of further illness or injuries in mind, should Gary recruit an emergency loanee, or look for a square peg to fit a round round hole, and use an existing squad member as a centre forward?

Guest Garfunkle

what about the academy? we havent had a striker come through since lita (unless you count cotterill)

if we cant produce a striker capable of challenging for a first team place then whats the point of running it?

if he can find someone suitable to bring in to improve the squad then bring someone in on loan, but since he spent most of january looking for certain players without success then I'm not sure what difference a week or so will make.

personally, I'm more than happy with what we have.

I tend to agree.

But Will Hoskins is available for loan from Watford - remember him ?

Scored 23 in 35 starts for Rotherham in League 1 when he was 19 - joined Watford in Jan 07 in the Premiership but it was probably a step too far at that time. I think City may have been interested at that time as well.

Scored 4 in 11 games for Millwall on loan recently.

Still only 21 and learning, could be a good backup..

Did cross my mind, as hes signing for Forest for the rest of the season, don't think we would get him on loan from our rivals though, which is a shame as i think he could be the type of player we need. From what i have seen, he seems to be a quick player who knows where the net is. I do think we are a wee bit light up front. We are lacking a goalscorer, but we have managed, apart from 1 season with Lia, without one for a good few years now. Last one before Lita who was really clinical was Akinbiyi.

I would love to see us sign one on loan but i think GJ has different ideas, which is fair enough, hes got us in this position so i trust his judgement. However, i think that is the missing piece of the jigsaw for our team, we need that striker that can grab us 20 goals a season, but unless you have a massive cheque book or get lucky on a bargain, where do you really start to look for one? Its not like these type of players grow on tree's.

I tend to agree.

But Will Hoskins is available for loan from Watford - remember him ?

Scored 23 in 35 starts for Rotherham in League 1 when he was 19 - joined Watford in Jan 07 in the Premiership but it was probably a step too far at that time. I think City may have been interested at that time as well.

Scored 4 in 11 games for Millwall on loan recently.

Still only 21 and learning, could be a good backup..

Hes going to Forest with a view for them to buy him in the summer.

I know there is some paper talk of that - he's from Nottingham if I remember correctly, and he was linked with them before he went to Watford. But he aint gone yet and we can offer guaranteed championship football next season.

But GJ may be thinking we'll go with what we've got - which is fair enough.

He's a good prospect though.

Agreed but says here hes going.

http://www.watfordfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/...1232788,00.html

what about the academy? we havent had a striker come through since lita (unless you count cotterill)

if we cant produce a striker capable of challenging for a first team place then whats the point of running it?

Its been mooted on this forum that Gary doesn't feel that any of the academy players are ready for a first-team call-up, and I don't believe that he will change his mind before the season's close.

However, this lack of promotion from within, and no current loan signing leaves us dangerously stretched in the forward department at a time when our goalscoring is in danger of drying up.

Trundle's absence at QPR compounded this problem and the only alternative open to Gary if this is repeated will be to play someone out of position, which is hardly ideal for a team that must start hitting the back of the net.

Carle, Sproule, Murray and Noble are all options for playing up front, if less than ideal. They'll do for emergencies though, with McCombe or Vasko available if we're stuck for a big man. We have enough cover.

Going back to when GJ signed Sproule he did say at the time that "Sproule was bought as a striker" despite the fact since he has played most of the time on the wing, I would guess that is where GJ would look within the squad for a pacey striker.

I'd expect GJ to do one of two things until the end of the season;

Either pick Adebola and one of Byfield or Trundle in 4-4-2 or play 4-4-1-1 and use either Carle or Noble in the advanced position behind Dele.

I cannot understand though why someone still on our books with 3 goals this season in 2 starts and 10 sub appearances and who is eleventh all time goalscorer for us, namely Scott Murray, isn't worth a subs spot at least.

For me I'd have much more confidence in him coming on and scoring than the likes of Noble, Myrie-Williams or Showunmi.

I noticed on the bbc sport website that Holloway is trying to get Scott Sinclair on loan from Chelsea again for Leicester..maybe worth trying to sneak in there and convince him that a few months in the Bristol area on a promotion-chasing campaign will be better for his career?

Some options

• Emergency Loan
  • Recall JMW
  • Recall Brooker
  • Showunmi's on loan

Emergency loan it is then!

I don't understand this "emergency loan" get out clause. An emergency loan should be for just that - an emergency!

In all honesty, I don't think clubs should be allowed to bring in any new players other than goalkeepers and only then if you don't have two fit goalies.

Every other position including centre forward can be covered by someone. McCombe has played up front for example.

This isn't a go at you BB, incidentally.

Archived