IGNORED

What Is The Difference?

Frex

We lose to Barnsley 3 - 0, Carey and Fontaine at the back. We were battered.

We leak 6 to Ipswitch, Carey on for first two in 20 minutes, Jamie McCombe subs, game settles down. Third goal a penalty via Orr and next three down our left side through Fontaine and Jamie McAllister (watch the extended highlights).

We get bullied all over the park by Sheff Wed, Carey and Fontaine at the back. We hang on to win by the skin of our teeth.

We then lose to WBA, no Carey.

We lose QPR, no Carey. Fontaine subs, game settles down. Still lose 3 - 0.

17 points achieved over first two 10 game periods - with Carey

16 points achieved over last 10 game period - mainly without Carey. ( Carey's absence has cost us 1 point? )

I ask again "what is the difference"? - None

Carey and Fontaine are both exception players. With a unique set of skills and abilities. Likewise so are McCombe and Vasko but with different skills and abilities. None of them are infallible.

I am looking forward to a noticable improvement in all our central defenders, in the next few weeks. Why? Because on the five days a week that these guys train they now have a new experienced attacker with which to sharpen their skills.

I have often wondered how central defenders can keep themselves and their skills sharp when they train against a forward line that has little physical presence and/or speed in which to trouble them. How do they improve on weekly basis? How do they stretch themselves in preparation for Saturday? I guess with great difficulty.

I believe it is every supporters right to have favourite players and for for every supporter to change their minds from week to week or season to season on who is playing well and who is performing poorly.

I am however concerned with some of the negative comments regarding our defence recently when we have achieved so much in the last 10 games. If the attack was firing on all cylinders I do not believe we would be seeing the amount of negativity towards our sterling defence.

Should we attack the defence or defend the attack?

Frex :surrender:

We lose to Barnsley 3 - 0, Carey and Fontaine at the back. We were battered.

We leak 6 to Ipswitch, Carey on for first two in 20 minutes, Jamie McCombe subs, game settles down. Third goal a penalty via Orr and next three down our left side through Fontaine and Jamie McAllister (watch the extended highlights).

We get bullied all over the park by Sheff Wed, Carey and Fontaine at the back. We hang on to win by the skin of our teeth.

We then lose to WBA, no Carey.

We lose QPR, no Carey. Fontaine subs, game settles down. Still lose 3 - 0.

16 points achieved over last 10 game period - mainly without Carey. ( Carey's absence has cost us 1 point? )

Carey and Fontaine are both exception players. With a unique set of skills and abilities. Likewise so are McCombe and Vasko but with different skills and abilities. None of them are infallible.

I am looking forward to a noticable improvement in all our central defenders, in the next few weeks. Why? Because on the five days a week that these guys train they now have a new experienced attacker with which to sharpen their skills.

I have often wondered how central defenders can keep themselves and their skills sharp when they train against a forward line that has little physical presence and/or speed in which to trouble them. How do they improve on weekly basis? How do they stretch themselves in preparation for Saturday? I guess with great difficulty.

I believe it is every supporters right to have favourite players and for for every supporter to change their minds from week to week or season to season on who is playing well and who is performing poorly.

I am however concerned with some of the negative comments regarding our defence recently when we have achieved so much in the last 10 games. If the attack was firing on all cylinders I do not believe we would be seeing the amount of negativity towards our sterling defence.

Should we attack the defence or defend the attack?

Frex :surrender:

Fair comment, I think its good that we have such a good pool to choose from in defence now. They are different styles as you say but all effective at times. Problem is I guess, that the more physical ariel battles could require one type of player, whilst fast pacey strikers another. Then the team are changing and that can be disruptive too...

I stand corrected. Thank you.

I guess this re-enforces my point that there is no measurable difference.

The comments regarding the likes of "the Chuckle Brothers", that have appeared on this forum recently, may have been used to Grand Stand some posters ratings but leave some of us totally bemused and bewildered as to how this helps the cause.

Maybe posters are similar to footballers. Maybe they also have their off days and maybe some of them have not lifted their game from last season and are struggling in this league.

Frex

That is a very haphazard way of looking at it because Carey's appearances don't fit within the 10 game blocks well enough for them to be a good guide.

So look a little deeper - call it Championship standard analysis rather than League One if you like ;) - you'll find we concede a goal every 92 minutes with Carey on the pitch and one every 47 minutes when he is not.

So what is the difference? About a goal a game.

That is a very haphazard way of looking at it because Carey's appearances don't fit within the 10 game blocks well enough for them to be a good guide.

So look a little deeper - call it Championship standard analysis rather than League One if you like ;) - you'll find we concede a goal every 92 minutes with Carey on the pitch and one every 47 minutes when he is not.

So what is the difference? About a goal a game.

Not forgetting an experience player who can lead the team and communicate with his back 4 and keeper!

Guest WellyCiderHead

I think the difference is we look far more comfortable and organised when Carey plays. He's also our captain and leads our boys brilliantly.

Hes probably been our most consistent player over last few years aswell. Not often u come away from a game and say 'Carey didnt play well, did he'.

I think most will agree that Carey at the top of his game is the pick of our central defenders; McCombe has the height advantage (in both boxes) which can be useful against a big attack; Fontaine is probably the quickest across the ground and so should be selected when the attack are very mobile and dangerous in that way. Vasko, to me, is a bit of an enigma. He obviously has some ability (an international after all) and he is an awesome physical presence but on a number of occassions seems to start watching the man he is up against instead of the ball and in a few games has not marked defenders well leading to goals against. Of course there have also been times when he looks every bit the international. I think that is why GJ has subbed him at half-time on two occassions and why he has not established himself in the team. Whether it is all part of him getting used to the pace and style of the English game only time will tell. So GJ has some good options at the back...and I would like to see Christian Ribeiro come through into contention as well, as he may have other attributes to add. In our current league position with 16 games to go clean sheets are very important.

My vote would be for Carey and Gontaine next weekend if Carey is fit to start the next block of 10 games off with a clean sheet and three points.

I think most will agree that Carey at the top of his game is the pick of our central defenders; McCombe has the height advantage (in both boxes) which can be useful against a big attack; Fontaine is probably the quickest across the ground and so should be selected when the attack are very mobile and dangerous in that way. Vasko, to me, is a bit of an enigma. He obviously has some ability (an international after all) and he is an awesome physical presence but on a number of occassions seems to start watching the man he is up against instead of the ball and in a few games has not marked defenders well leading to goals against. Of course there have also been times when he looks every bit the international. I think that is why GJ has subbed him at half-time on two occassions and why he has not established himself in the team. Whether it is all part of him getting used to the pace and style of the English game only time will tell. So GJ has some good options at the back...and I would like to see Christian Ribeiro come through into contention as well, as he may have other attributes to add. In our current league position with 16 games to go clean sheets are very important.

My vote would be for Carey and Gontaine next weekend if Carey is fit to start the next block of 10 games off with a clean sheet and three points.

Carey and Fontaine every time for me, we look so much better at the back and personally I am not worrying about conceding goals every time the opposition have the ball in our half with those two playing..

Archived