IGNORED

Capello Happy...really?!

mozo

"I think we did some very good things and created many chances - the players did very well," Capello told BBC Sport.

Now I know his face looks a bit scrunched up at the best of times, but he looked genuinely agitated throughout the game when the cameras ahowed him, and I'm not surprised.

It was as much 'only a friendly' for the Swiss, but they matched England for most of the game.

All this talk of nervousness doesn't wash with me. Rooney is never nervous and we need more players like him.

One of Capello's McLarenesque focus-only-on-the-positives statements was suggesting that we only conceded because the Swiss made more subs and were 'fresher'. Now, I recall that we moaned about Sven making second halves harder by making that many subs! Remember how we moaned? According to Capello, we should have actually benefited from those half-time overhauls.

The reason I moan is because under Sven we almost looked like contenders but frustratingly failed three-quarters of the way to winning big tournaments. Since 2004 (specifically Rooney's injury in the Euros) I haven't enjoyed an England game. Today was again a poor performance, and I just hoped that Capello - the perfectionist - would come out with an honest statement. People like honesty.

Our first meaningful shot came in the 19th minute, we were bitty, lackadaisical, generally stuttering throughout. Joe Cole did well, Bentley average, Rooney good. Otherwise much of a muchness.

I want Capello to shake this team up and stop making the same pitiful excuses that other coaches made.

Sometimes even players low on confidence need a kick up the arse, as Gary Johnson proved (in the long run!!!).

This performance definitely was'nt 'much of a muchness'. The short passing/not hoofballing/ball retention and player movement(whilst not always successful) was refreshing and I felt quite encouraged. Hopefully the players will take this on board as more games occur and we will improve as an international team. I guess Mozo, you were one of the ones booing after 20 minutes.

For the first game with a whole new system of playing, it was an encouraging start. I thought we controlled most of the game, their equaliser was totally against the run of play (great finish, if it was a week earlier there'd have been a rumour about him) and in the end we looked comfortable. Remember, Mclown won his first game 4-0- were you on here after that singing his praises?

Archived