IGNORED

The Key To The Run In

Red Robin

In my opinion the key to the run in is as follows

Basso keeping the goals out.

Carey and Fontaine staying injury free and playing together [critical since careys absence the problems have started at the back}

Elliott and Carle staying at the top of there game in the midfield.

Adebola and Trundle fireing the goals up front [sadly if this does not happen I really see us falling out of the top six} If Adebola does not help Trundle find the net then Adebola alone will not get us up.

Sadly I believe the club has let the biggest and best chance of promotion for over 20 years back to the top flight go begging.

Realisticaly top 10 is where we will finish,Which in many peoples eyes will be a good start back in the championship.

My take on it will be if we fall away the club only have themselves to blame,the fans have seen last season and this season goals have been hard to get.

Seriously though I sort of agree on the striking front, I'm not sure why we didn't sign a quick striker in January but hopefully we will attempt to get one on loan.

However the more important thing is that we keep the great team spirit and work ethic that got us this far I think. I'm a little concerned that the QPR game and other recent ones shows a bit of a lapse in that, though hopefully with a better selection we will get a bounce back this weekend.

Seriously though I sort of agree on the striking front, I'm not sure why we didn't sign a quick striker in January but hopefully we will attempt to get one on loan.

However the more important thing is that we keep the great team spirit and work ethic that got us this far I think. I'm a little concerned that the QPR game and other recent ones shows a bit of a lapse in that, though hopefully with a better selection we will get a bounce back this weekend.

Like who?

In my opinion the key to the run in is as follows

Basso keeping the goals out.

Carey and Fontaine staying injury free and playing together [critical since careys absence the problems have started at the back}

Elliott and Carle staying at the top of there game in the midfield.

Adebola and Trundle fireing the goals up front [sadly if this does not happen I really see us falling out of the top six} If Adebola does not help Trundle find the net then Adebola alone will not get us up.

Sadly I believe the club has let the biggest and best chance of promotion for over 20 years back to the top flight go begging.

Realisticaly top 10 is where we will finish,Which in many peoples eyes will be a good start back in the championship.

My take on it will be if we fall away the club only have themselves to blame,the fans have seen last season and this season goals have been hard to get.

Who would have thought it? Einstein re-incarnated.

No coincidence that Carey has been missing... I hope he is back for tomorrow..

Oh really?

As far as I can remember you conceded that we wouldnt get a striker and I could have sworn that you said you were content to stay as we were.

??

You are not alone in hoping we have a better selecion process for the weekend. What would you suggest as our leading forum poster. Not a trick question, I'me just trying to get a feel how the forum in general is feeling about this weeks selections. That is not considering what GJ might select, just our own thoughts as a forum.

Oh really?

As far as I can remember you conceded that we wouldnt get a striker and I could have sworn that you said you were content to stay as we were.

??

I think you may have me confused with someone else. I've been saying I think we should sign a genuinely quick striker since about a week after Lita left and I thought that should have been our number one priority in January.

You are not alone in hoping we have a better selecion process for the weekend. What would you suggest as our leading forum poster. Not a trick question, I'me just trying to get a feel how the forum in general is feeling about this weeks selections. That is not considering what GJ might select, just our own thoughts as a forum.

I would like to see Sproule recalled on the right, Carey and Fontaine back in central defence, and Trundle given a go next to Adebola in a 442. Carle looks a very good player but a left footed central player on the right isn't going to work and our two giant centre halves are easily too undone by pace to play them together.

I think GJ will do all of that except he might play Carle in behind Adebola instead of Trundle next to him.

I think you may have me confused with someone else. I've been saying I think we should sign a genuinely quick striker since about a week after Lita left and I thought that should have been our number one priority in January.

I would like to see Sproule recalled on the right, Carey and Fontaine back in central defence, and Trundle given a go next to Adebola in a 442. Carle looks a very good player but a left footed central player on the right isn't going to work and our two giant centre halves are easily too undone by pace to play them together.

I think GJ will do all of that except he might play Carle in behind Adebola instead of Trundle next to him.

I agree with those opinions, but you have not mentioned the Carle with Elliot and LJ to the bench equation. That process has been a popular thought amongst posters, so how do you feel about it as an option.

I agree with those opinions, but you have not mentioned the Carle with Elliot and LJ to the bench equation. That process has been a popular thought amongst posters, so how do you feel about it as an option.

I wouldn't start him in the middle tomorrow for a couple of reasons.

One is his fitness over 90 can't be quite there yet, but more importantly we know we can win games with the LJ/Elliott and Carey/Fontaine partnerships and I don't think it's good to make too many changes in one go, particularly to the spine of the team.

Carle certainly looks like he can do that role and will give LJ some healthy competition on the little I've seen of him. I reckon he is probably a player who can make an impact if we need him to, so I think it should be up to him to win the starting place in his preferred position from the bench.

I wouldn't start him in the middle tomorrow for a couple of reasons.

One is his fitness over 90 can't be quite there yet, but more importantly we know we can win games with the LJ/Elliott and Carey/Fontaine partnerships and I don't think it's good to make too many changes in one go, particularly to the spine of the team.

Carle certainly looks like he can do that role and will give LJ some healthy competition on the little I've seen of him. I reckon he is probably a player who can make an impact if we need him to, so I think it should be up to him to win the starting place in his preferred position from the bench.

Good reasoning, however GJ has shown a trait in making several changes around the 70 minute mark. I would suggest Carey, a striker and ? will be substituted on Saturday.

In recent months Sproule, Byfield, Trundle, Noble and Vasko have all been limited to 70 minute or less appearances, so Carle does not have to be a 90 minute consideration. I don't think fitness was an issue against QPR and he's not coming back from an injury.

To encourage our academy youngsters, I expect Ribiero to get some play from the bench sometime before the end of March.

baldrick.jpgIn my opinion the key to the run in is as follows

Baldrick.jpgBasso keeping the goals out.

baldrick.jpgCarey and Fontaine staying injury free and playing together [critical since careys absence the problems have started at the back}

baldrick.jpgElliott and Carle staying at the top of there game in the midfield.

F_200708_August30ed_354109a.jpgAdebola and Trundle fireing the goals up front [sadly if this does not happen I really see us falling out of the top six} If Adebola does not help Trundle find the net then Adebola alone will not get us up.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

_40176169_mainwaring203.jpg Sadly I believe the club has let the biggest and best chance of promotion for over 20 years back to the top flight go begging.

I'd add -the crowd getting behind the team fully - LJ performing to as he has for most of the season in central midfield. This side has got us to 3rd with just 16 games to go so no reason they cannot get us a play off place at least - A settled side with wholehearted support can get that auto place. Viewing our situation more positively - GJ, by deciding against any panic buys, has set us up to capitalise on our best position for over 20 years earnt by a settled and committed squad.

Archived