IGNORED

What The Heck Was Going On Last Night

Red Robin

First thing great three points even though we played poorly.

Can anybody tell me why we take Dele of,who to be fair did okay,and play Vasko up front for 15 minutes or so.

We had Trundle and Byfield on the bench who would have been a far better option.

We had no striker on the pitch when three points was a must,if we have a chance of promotion wins at places like Scunny must be taken.

Sorry I sat there last night and could not believe what I was seeing unfold.

Certainly kicks Trunds and Byfield into touch,GJ prefers our second choice defender up front over our strikeing options very scarey I must say.

Any body have a clue why he did it just did not make sence to me.

Trundle and Byfield a far better option??? I don't think so, and thankfully, neither does GJ.

Can you not see that GJ was trying to swap like-for-like?

It was obviously part of the game plan to have a huge target to hit in the box, as Scunny have the sort of centre halfs that will bully smaller guys, so when Big Dele went off injured the next closest option was Vasko, who has played that role before this season don't forget.

It worked a treat as well, so Red Robin, please think what you are going to post through before posting,as another 'fan' moaning about GJ making a decision that you wouldnt have, is not what this club needs right now. :disapointed2se:

Can anybody tell me why we take Dele of,who to be fair did okay,and play Vasko up front for 15 minutes or so.

We had Trundle and Byfield on the bench who would have been a far better option.

We had no striker on the pitch when three points was a must,if we have a chance of promotion wins at places like Scunny must be taken.

Certainly kicks Trunds and Byfield into touch,GJ prefers our second choice defender up front over our strikeing options very scarey I must say.

This thread is pile of S****horpe pitch.

Vasko coming on was a tactical master-stroke, he caused their defence trouble and was involved in the goal. Enough said, decision vindicated.

As for Trundle and Byfield, they are part of a squad, and Johnson would have explained to them that it wasn't tactically right to bring them on last night. Had it been at home on our decent pitch I'm sure the decision might have been different. Its not all black and white.

Just get behind the manager, he has got us into 2nd in the ######* league, what the hell is the problem

Rinus Michaels, the great Dutch coach, who was responsible for "total football", once said he'd have no qualms with putting a big centre half up front and playing longer balls if it meant scoring a winning goal.

GJ is just following the same tactic, you mix it up, Adebola is our target man and he went off. Against aggressive opposition, on a dog of a pitch GJ decided to fight fire with fire, we won, he was right, so get over it.

A pitch that was deliberately saturated by the opposition before kick off, an opposition who were going to be physical, up for it and get their tackles in and a 90 minute scrap for anything we could get. And you wanted to see Trundle and Byfield? There are times and places for the likes of Trundle and Byfield and there is a time and place to stick a giant centre half up front. Luckily we have a manager who calls it right and not Red Robin in charge.

Isn't there some saying about you have to cut your cloth according to something or other? Football is now very much a squad game, even more so next season as I understand more subs will be allowed in the premiership, so you have to give GJ credit for realising the best man for the job at that particular time in that particular match was in his opinion Vasko. Get there, pinch 3 points, get out again. Job done.

I really think people have to think more of a squad game rather than a team, especially if we are going to get into the Premier League. Top teams have 20 to 30 players to choose from. They can't all play at once. The manager has to put the best player (in his opinion) for the circumstances. That was what Johnson did last night. It worked. If Trundle and Byfield want to be Premier League players they should not be affected by it. They just need to concentrate on making the maximum impact when they get on to the field - be it from the start or as a sub. That goes for every other player too. Fans need to appreciate that if we sign someone they are not "replacing someone else" just enhancing the abilities in the squad. Of course new players will come in and as we progress those who don't (in the manager's opinion) have the ability at the new level will be moved on (for instance Phil Jevons). Of course sometimes the manager will get it wrong. But in Johnson we have a manager who gets it right most times and is pretty honest when he gets it wrong (team selection at QPR for instance). Johnson's substitution was spot on last night. Now lets hope he is concentrating on how we can beat Crystal Palace.

Trundle and Byfield a far better option??? I don't think so, and thankfully, neither does GJ.

Can you not see that GJ was trying to swap like-for-like?

It was obviously part of the game plan to have a huge target to hit in the box, as Scunny have the sort of centre halfs that will bully smaller guys, so when Big Dele went off injured the next closest option was Vasko, who has played that role before this season don't forget.

It worked a treat as well, so Red Robin, please think what you are going to post through before posting,as another 'fan' moaning about GJ making a decision that you wouldnt have, is not what this club needs right now. :disapointed2se:

Vasko is no Adebola lets get that out of the way different class all together.

If we are going down this route sureley Mccombe up front would have been better,and put Vasko at the back.

We scored last night which was FANTASTIC as said,imagine if Orr did not score,I think many more that travelled would have been up in arms with the lack of strikers on the pitch.

Lets get one thing straight my post was about the substitution not GARY jOHNSON who has done a fantastic job this year.

Rinus Michaels, the great Dutch coach, who was responsible for "total football", once said he'd have no qualms with putting a big centre half up front and playing longer balls if it meant scoring a winning goal.

GJ is just following the same tactic, you mix it up, Adebola is our target man and he went off. Against aggressive opposition, on a dog of a pitch GJ decided to fight fire with fire, we won, he was right, so get over it.

Your line about Michels reminds me about a player joining Liverpool in their heyday and he said to the manager ( might have been Paisley) that he was slightly concerned about the long ball tactics they employed. "No need to worry son" he replied, " we don't play long ball at Liverpoo l- just the right ball"

Vasko is no Adebola lets get that out of the way different class all together.

If we are going down this route sureley Mccombe up front would have been better,and put Vasko at the back.

We scored last night which was FANTASTIC as said,imagine if Orr did not score,I think many more that travelled would have been up in arms with the lack of strikers on the pitch.

Lets get one thing straight my post was about the substitution not GARY jOHNSON who has done a fantastic job this year.

Would Boom Boom of done the same as Vasko in that situation though?!

You are just finding reasons to be picky now in my opinion. It worked we won 1-0 Gary is a legend and yet some people will still doubt his methods this is why he is paid money and people like you, AY and others are not football managers he is not scared to take a risk would you rather we had Robson? So scared that he is going to lose his job he wont take risks?

Archived