IGNORED

Raiding Relegated Teams

daisybcfc

Depending on the teams going down, we could raid them upon promotion for a few of their best players. I've made a list of players that may or may not be interested, and that we may or may not be interested in them, however just wondering what everyones opinions are. I've included a few keepers, a few defenders, a few midfielders and a few strikers, so we can have a look what, in theory, may be on offer. Just a bit of fun, but i know people are going to reply "wait til we get there","trust the squad we have" or even "don't tempt fate", but its quite interesting thinking that some of these players won't be in the Premiership next season and may want to get involved with our jump up through the divisions.

Derby

Giles Barnes, good enough but probably will be taken by a bigger club.

Hossam Ghaly, good player, bad attitude.

Robbie Savage, not as good as Elliott.

Robbie Earnshaw, decent player and scores at whatever level, although not been playing much for them this year.

Kenny Miller, looks OK, but unproven.

Reading

Scott Golbourne, loved the lad when he was with us, might be interested in a return?

Stephen Hunt, probably would go to a current Prem club, but if not would be a great buy.

Leroy Lita, I know everyone has differing opinions on the lad but if Reading went down, i for one would welcome him back.

Fulham

Jimmy Bullard, serious shout for an improvement to our squad. Would be delighted if we signed him, great attitude and an awesome player.

Alexey Smertin, brilliant player. Would also welcome him as a signing, despite being nearly 33, however unsure if he would come here.

Paul Konchesky, although looking like he has no soul, is a brilliant player and could be a great player for us.

David Healy, only scored 5 goals in nearly 30 games. No what we need.

Birmingham

Frank Queuedrue, very good player. Also got a great attitude and a really hard worker. If Birmingham went down, would be interested in joining.

Fabrice Muamba, pure quality. If they did go down, he would nearly certainly we snapped up by a bigger club, but if he isn't....

Daniel De Ridder, quality young Dutch midfielder. Again would probably go to a 'bigger' but like Muamba, would be brilliant in a City shirt.

Camerone Jerome, not sure if he is Premiership quality.

Sunderland

Craig Gordon, great keeper, but again would be a lot of money, and we already have a great keeper.

Kenwyne Jones, one of the best striker in whole of the Prem. If I was GJ (god help us if I was though) I would break the bank to get this guy. He may be the difference between Sunderland going down or staying up. I know he has only scored 5 this season but he is pure class.

Kieron Richardson, brilliant player, not had a great year due to injuries. not sure if his attitude would work at city, however Roy Keane seems to like him.

Wigan

Ryan Taylor, pure quality. Would also IMO be interested in joining if Wigan went down.

Chris Kirkland, obviously a brilliant keeper, but is he better than Basso? I'm thinking maybe, but would probably get picked up by a bigger club too.

Emile Heskey, even at 30 is still one of the most effective strikers in the league. Would love to see him at Ashton Gate, however wages and price tag may suggest its out of our grasp.

Marlon King, good player, bad attitude.

Jason Koumas, failed to apply himself fully in the Prem, however there is no doubting his quality.

Bolton

El Hadji Diouf, would never come, would never want him.

Matty Taylor, good hard working midfielder, but we already have 2 of them.

Jussi Jaaskelainen, brilliant keeper, but would probably cost us too much.

In conclusion, the signings i would be delighted to see would be Jimmy Bullard and Kenwyne Jones. However if we signed any of, Konchesky, Ryan Taylor, Queuedrue, and Richardson, i would also get very excited about next season.

anyway, looking forward to a bit of feedback.

daisybcfc

Guest zider_head

Nice ideas but 2 things spring to mind

Cost to buy them and wages !!! some of those you have mentioned would cost 5 million plus easy such as Lita, Gordon , Barnes, Healy, Jones (10 million +)

Nice ideas but 2 things spring to mind

Cost to buy them and wages !!! some of those you have mentioned would cost 5 million plus easy such as Lita, Gordon , Barnes, Healy, Jones (10 million +)

but the money will get from being promoted is enough to cover at least a few of them, no?

None.

Why would you want to buy a player that is used to a losing mentality? It always bemuses me that teams going up always buy players from relegated teams and then get promtly relegated themselves. - Neil Redfearn springs to mind, how many time was he relegated??

None.

Why would you want to buy a player that is used to a losing mentality? It always bemuses me that teams going up always buy players from relegated teams and then get promtly relegated themselves. - Neil Redfearn springs to mind, how many time was he relegated??

where should be get players from then? magic them out of the air? none of those players listed tickle your fancy?

also Marvin Elliott got relegated with Millwall and what a bad buy he's been.... :innocent06:

It doesn't matter who we'd like to see down here because GJ has different opinions to the majority of us but going on those names listed, Jimmy Bullard is a classic GJ sort of player and would definately enhance our squad. Sadly, I can't see Fulham going down this season.

Oh, and there is no way in hell Kenwyne Jones would be available for a reasonable fee even if Sunderland go down. Liverpool were rumoured to be after him in January so I think you can guarantee they're looking for megabucks for him if they ever decided to sell.

Guest zider_head

Most of those on your list are 30 plus or injury prone I would much rather sign talent from the championship and division 1 or youth from the prem than waste money on the types of Fowler etc

Most of those on your list are 30 plus or injury prone I would much rather sign talent from the championship and division 1 or youth from the prem than waste money on the types of Fowler etc

disagree completely, we cant take the risk on unproven lower league players. We need proven Premiership quality talent, be they 21 or 31. i would much prefer Emile Heskey as a 30 something than a promising player from League 1 or the Championship.

Derby

Robbie Earnshaw, decent player and scores at whatever level, although not been playing much for them this year.

Fulham

Jimmy Bullard, serious shout for an improvement to our squad. Would be delighted if we signed him, great attitude and an awesome player.

Birmingham

Daniel De Ridder, quality young Dutch midfielder. Again would probably go to a 'bigger' but like Muamba, would be brilliant in a City shirt.

Sunderland

Craig Gordon, great keeper, but again would be a lot of money, and we already have a great keeper.

Kenwyne Jones, one of the best striker in whole of the Prem. If I was GJ (god help us if I was though) I would break the bank to get this guy. He may be the difference between Sunderland going down or staying up. I know he has only scored 5 this season but he is pure class.

Wigan

In conclusion, the signings i would be delighted to see would be Jimmy Bullard and Kenwyne Jones. However if we signed any of, Konchesky, Ryan Taylor, Queuedrue, and Richardson, i would also get very excited about next season.

daisybcfc

Hmm, obviously a lot of effort went into this thread, but not sure if the same level of thought has gone in, or even if you mean for some of it to be comical?

My thoughts for what its worth! :)

Giles Barnes - Great potential, everyone agreed but has shown none of it this season.

Earnshaw/Miller - Miller has scored goals everywhere, and has done better this season than Earnshaw, either wouldnt be bad.

Bullard - Love him here, unlikely though.

De Ridder - A star in the making, we would do well to get him.

Jerome - Has shown he's premiership material already this season through overall performances and some goals.

Craig Gordon - Just ':laugh:' for this suggestion.

Jones - Not sure he's that good. He's decent but no Adebayor (never thought I'd say that!)

Marlon King - Where has thid bad attitude been evident? Always seems level headed in interviews.

disagree completely, we cant take the risk on unproven lower league players. We need proven Premiership quality talent, be they 21 or 31. i would much prefer Emile Heskey as a 30 something than a promising player from League 1 or the Championship.

i wold think gj and pete j have already drawn up a list of targets should we get to the prem.

Hmm, obviously a lot of effort went into this thread, but not sure if the same level of thought has gone in, or even if you mean for some of it to be comical?

Giles Barnes - Great potential, everyone agreed but has shown none of it this season.

Earnshaw/Miller - Miller has scored goals everywhere, and has done better this season than Earnshaw, either wouldnt be bad.

Jerome - Has shown he's premiership material already this season through overall performances and some goals.

Jones - Not sure he's that good. He's decent but no Adebayor (never thought I'd say that!)

Marlon King - Where has thid bad attitude been evident? Always seems level headed in interviews.

Agreed.

Gordan cost 9 mil!!! noi chance of I'm.

As for jones, i must say he is/becoming a top, top player

Marlon King not a bad attitude???? the same Marlon King who got 2 years for dealing in stolen cars? the same Marlon King who refused to celebrate when scoring for Nottingham Forest because the fans didnt like him? the same Marlon King who is banned from playign for his country due to several breeches of discipline?

I really dislike the guy, but cant deny he is a good footballer.

The Craig Gordon comment was slightly tongue in cheek, but if he went down could we not get him for a cut-down price? i know its unlikely but i was just thinking of the best players who can possibly go down this season.

De Ridder is mint, as is Jones.

This post was half to see who City fans would like to see at the Gate, but partly to show the talent that may leave the Premiership, therefore be up for grabs (maybe).

Marlon King not a bad attitude???? the same Marlon King who got 2 years for dealing in stolen cars? the same Marlon King who refused to celebrate when scoring for Nottingham Forest because the fans didnt like him? the same Marlon King who is banned from playign for his country due to several breeches of discipline?

I really dislike the guy, but cant deny he is a good footballer.

Ooh, didnt know that.

Well spotted.

Jimmy Bullard would be a quality player to bring in. When i first saw him was back when he moved to Peterborough for a couple of seasons before wigan signed him. He was probably 1 of 3 top quality players i saw there in 9 years. Leon Mckenzie and Adam Drury were the other two that stood out. He scored some cracking goals for Posh and never seemed afraid to shoot from outside the box, something that our players always seem to be reluctant doing. He seems to have a good attitude about him so would be one that would fit in with GJ and the rest of the squad.

Depending on the teams going down, we could raid them upon promotion for a few of their best players. I've made a list of players that may or may not be interested, and that we may or may not be interested in them, however just wondering what everyones opinions are. I've included a few keepers, a few defenders, a few midfielders and a few strikers, so we can have a look what, in theory, may be on offer. Just a bit of fun, but i know people are going to reply "wait til we get there","trust the squad we have" or even "don't tempt fate", but its quite interesting thinking that some of these players won't be in the Premiership next season and may want to get involved with our jump up through the divisions.

Derby

Hossam Ghaly, good player, bad attitude.

Robbie Savage, not as good as Elliott.

Reading

Scott Golbourne, loved the lad when he was with us, might be interested in a return?

Stephen Hunt, probably would go to a current Prem club, but if not would be a great buy.

Leroy Lita, I know everyone has differing opinions on the lad but if Reading went down, i for one would welcome him back.

Fulham

Alexey Smertin, brilliant player. Would also welcome him as a signing, despite being nearly 33, however unsure if he would come here.

Paul Konchesky, although looking like he has no soul, is a brilliant player and could be a great player for us.

David Healy, only scored 5 goals in nearly 30 games. No what we need.

Birmingham

Frank Queuedrue, very good player. Also got a great attitude and a really hard worker. If Birmingham went down, would be interested in joining.

Fabrice Muamba, pure quality. If they did go down, he would nearly certainly we snapped up by a bigger club, but if he isn't....

Sunderland

Kieron Richardson, brilliant player, not had a great year due to injuries. not sure if his attitude would work at city, however Roy Keane seems to like him.

Wigan

Ryan Taylor, pure quality. Would also IMO be interested in joining if Wigan went down.

Chris Kirkland, obviously a brilliant keeper, but is he better than Basso? I'm thinking maybe, but would probably get picked up by a bigger club too.

Emile Heskey, even at 30 is still one of the most effective strikers in the league. Would love to see him at Ashton Gate, however wages and price tag may suggest its out of our grasp.

Jason Koumas, failed to apply himself fully in the Prem, however there is no doubting his quality.

Bolton

El Hadji Diouf, would never come, would never want him.

Matty Taylor, good hard working midfielder, but we already have 2 of them.

Jussi Jaaskelainen, brilliant keeper, but would probably cost us too much.

daisybcfc

Great post Daisy.

I just love the optimism that is flying around this club from so many happy fans. As someone else posted, no doubt Gary & Pete have mused over this a few times at their mum's while she's ironing their drawers.

Who shall we get in when we go up? Don't know & don't care - till after 4 May. Can't wait till around 9.35 tomorrow night when, please God, Ashton Gate will be reverberating to WE ARE TOP OF THE LEAGUE SAY WE ARE TOP OF THE LEAGUE!!!

Bullard would probably be the only one out of that lot i'd go for. If we manage to get up, we are going to come straight back down in all likelyhood, so i'd bear that in mind before buying anyone. I reckon the best options for us would be a centre back and a striker on a permanent move, both players who are fully prepaired to play in the championship should we come back down, and then look at loaning some young players from the big 4 with views to permanent moves. Players like Lee Martin at Sheff U.

At the end of the day we haven't got the resources as a club to spend what sunderland have, even with the windfall, i think if we went up we should do what watford did, they built a championship winning side in the prem and staying up would have been a massive bonus, but this time should they go up they can spend a good portion of money as their first forray into the prem has secured their financial future for a while.

Bullard would probably be the only one out of that lot i'd go for. If we manage to get up, we are going to come straight back down in all likelyhood, so i'd bear that in mind before buying anyone. I reckon the best options for us would be a centre back and a striker on a permanent move, both players who are fully prepaired to play in the championship should we come back down, and then look at loaning some young players from the big 4 with views to permanent moves. Players like Lee Martin at Sheff U.

At the end of the day we haven't got the resources as a club to spend what sunderland have, even with the windfall, i think if we went up we should do what watford did, they built a championship winning side in the prem and staying up would have been a massive bonus, but this time should they go up they can spend a good portion of money as their first forray into the prem has secured their financial future for a while.

I beg to differ! :ph34r:

I think there is a slight possibility that if we went up we could get Lita back, however I doubt that we'd shell out the 6 million that seems to be on his head. We might be able to get him for nearer 4 due to the fact that we could waiver the sell on clause, though his attitude is stinking so I don't know if GJ would even want him but he is a class act when on form.

i do not think we would come straight back down at all, with GJ at the helm with PJ out there scouting for talent there is no reason why we can't avoid the drop, then, over the next few seasons establish ourselves as a Premeirship outfit.

Imagine a team of

-------------------Basso-----------------------

Orr--------Carey----Fontaine----Konchesky

Sproule----Elliott-------Bullard-----McIndoe

-------------Lita----------Jones---------------

However unlikely you may think it is, it is still a possibilty, and these are the types of names we will be looking at if we get to the Premiership. Do you think this side (i know this is based on a whole load of what if's) could stay up? Because this is the sort of side we may be seeing wearing a City shirt next season. This is the sort of thing we have to aim for, and although i may seem a bit too ambitious in some of the names i put down, this is what i believe we have to aim for if we want to become a permanent fixture in the Premiership.

Archived