IGNORED

Dele V Enoch

samj100

Can't be bothered to explain why, but what an idiot you are.

Just becuase he has a different opinion to you he is wrong :fastasleep:

Back on topic. I think Dele offers a hell of alot more than Enoch. You have to remember Sam, he's only just started his city career. I think he's doing well at the mo, and will get better.

in his defence, and dispensing with the liberal PC nonsense - if i have an opinion that is right, and somebody else does not agree, then they are wrong!

i know forum is "all about opinions", and there's free speech,etc - but if i said Gary should be sacked for playing 4-5-1 at home i'd be wrong and you'd tell me that and so would everybody else. So that means there is a "line" - and i reckon that saying Dele offers nothing over good ol Enoch is over that line. So does everyone else above! :)

saying Dele offers nothing over good ol Enoch is over that line. So does everyone else above! :)

I just don't see the point of bringing in a 32 year old when we have resorted to blasting balls from the centre backs to him,...... Do you?

We have got to where we are in the championship by playing football. FACT. Not long hopefull balls to a lone striker. Therefore ask yourslef this. What have we gained by playing this way with dele the last 2 games beacuse we are a million miles away from performances such as Sheffield UTD home, Norwhich away etc

At s****horpe were you then? i would guess not. Dele didn't hold up a thing hence we brought on our centre back who was far more effective. Look what happened then, we scored.

I was at S****horpe. Adebola was playing with an injury and only just made the team. He isn't going to play well every game but is more consistent than Showumni- simple.

I just don't see the point of bringing in a 32 year old when we have resorted to blasting balls from the centre backs to him,...... Do you?

We have got to where we are in the championship by playing football. FACT. Not long hopefull balls to a lone striker. Therefore ask yourslef this. What have we gained by playing this way with dele the last 2 games beacuse we are a million miles away from performances such as Sheffield UTD home, Norwhich away etc

If we want to get back to playing good football then THE CENTRAL MIDFIELD needs to wake itself up from it's temporary slumber and start playing again. Our last two games have been against teams who are more "combatitive" in nature and with a poor show from the central midfield area defenders are left with little option but to knock it long. What is the point in playing ball after ball into Elliott, Johnson and Carle only to see it either come back to you and leave you with more to do than when you passed it in the first place or be given away if it is played forwards. Simple basic football knowledge says you may as well cut out the middle man in those circumstances. However, with Adebola up front at least we have that option. Had Trundle/Byfield/Enoch formed the pairing against S****horpe and Palace we may well have seen a return of NIL points instead of four points in my opnion. Because it was Trundle, Byfield and Enoch who Johnson decided were not performing the job required by the team at the time when he bought Adebola.

As I have said, it is clear to me that the 20 minute spells of possession (particularly second half) enjoyed by the opposition over the months are far fewer and further between with Adebola getting hold of a reasonable proportion of balls knocked into him and that has made us look more solid as a team for a start and is one reason why we can be confident of a play off place at least. I would love an out and out goalscorer alongside Adebola but as we do not have one we will have to hope that either Carle comes off soon or that Trundle/Byfield find their shooting boots or perhaps both if we are greedy!!

If we want to get back to playing good football then THE CENTRAL MIDFIELD needs to wake itself up from it's temporary slumber and start playing again. Our last two games have been against teams who are more "combatitive" in nature and with a poor show from the central midfield area defenders are left with little option but to knock it long. What is the point in playing ball after ball into Elliott, Johnson and Carle only to see it either come back to you and leave you with more to do than when you passed it in the first place or be given away if it is played forwards. Simple basic football knowledge says you may as well cut out the middle man in those circumstances. However, with Adebola up front at least we have that option. Had Trundle/Byfield/Enoch formed the pairing against S****horpe and Palace we may well have seen a return of NIL points instead of four points in my opnion. Because it was Trundle, Byfield and Enoch who Johnson decided were not performing the job required by the team at the time when he bought Adebola.

As I have said, it is clear to me that the 20 minute spells of possession (particularly second half) enjoyed by the opposition over the months are far fewer and further between with Adebola getting hold of a reasonable proportion of balls knocked into him and that has made us look more solid as a team for a start and is one reason why we can be confident of a play off place at least. I would love an out and out goalscorer alongside Adebola but as we do not have one we will have to hope that either Carle comes off soon or that Trundle/Byfield find their shooting boots or perhaps both if we are greedy!!

Trundle's successful periods for Swansea were in a settled pairing and with a bigger man to play off.

Why not give that a chance?

I'd like to see Trundle/Adebola pairing given a chance in a 4-4-2.

Instead of this nonsense of keep playing a one up top formation.

4-4-1-1 always suggests to me that

a) You no faith in your central midfiled to combat the opposition (which is the case for us when one man is tacking for 2)

b) We're happy with 1-0's and then just defend.

4-4-1-1 works away from home but I couldn't believe we opted for that at home. We ended up at the end with a 2-4-4 formation chasing the game!

I'd play 4-4-2 and drop Carle back and see how he plays in a central midfield with Elliott behind Trundle and Adebola.

He won't though.

age is totally irrelevant in the context of a quick signing on short term contract to help push to premiership

we have gained an option with Dele - one we didnt have before, and one that was often lacking from our play when we went 4-4-2 as we could never make the ball stick up front, and so had to play a lot further back as a result.

now, with signing of Carle - Gary feels we're better off trying to get best from him in a 5 man midfield than play one of the failing strikers. Not a bad plan at all - and one that both this season and last has seen us play excellent stuff and win.

At S****horpe - crap pitch, big team, cold weather - not conditions that make for pretty football

Against Palace - their 5 man mid-field was too big, too strong and just too good for us to play around them... so we went long. Sure it wasnt int he game plan when we started, but players arnet stupid and when they sense that Marvin and LJ were under too much pressure to pass through the midfield, and Carle had a shadow then they went for the option we wouldnt have had before - to go long.

Its a good signing, and gives us something we didnt have before. FACT.

i don't think Marvin, LJ or Carle playing at their absolute best could have passed through Palace's midfield - just too strong and too combative. sometimes we just have to accept that we have players worth £500k - £1.5m. Not £5m - £15m. They came with a game plan and it worked - and agree only option we were left with was to go long ball.

i don't think Marvin, LJ or Carle playing at their absolute best could have passed through Palace's midfield - just too strong and too combative. sometimes we just have to accept that we have players worth £500k - £1.5m. Not £5m - £15m. They came with a game plan and it worked - and agree only option we were left with was to go long ball.

Disagree. None of Palace's midfield were worth £5-15m, they just marked tight and fouled. I don't accept that we can't beat that or that the only option we had was to go long at all.

Playing through that sort of midfield requires lots of movement and there was absolutely none which is why we ended up hoofing it. Carle, Elliott and Sproule just didn't move enough to make themselves available for a ball after LJ collected it from the defence. The only decent play we had going forward was through McIndoe who did. Moving into space isn't hard and doesn't require a squad full of expensive players, all of those players have done it before and just had a very bad game against a bunch of *****.

Disagree. None of Palace's midfield were worth £5-15m, they just marked tight and fouled. I don't accept that we can't beat that or that the only option we had was to go long at all.

Playing through that sort of midfield requires lots of movement and there was absolutely none which is why we ended up hoofing it. Carle, Elliott and Sproule just didn't move enough to make themselves available for a ball after LJ collected it from the defence. The only decent play we had going forward was through McIndoe who did. Moving into space isn't hard and doesn't require a squad full of expensive players, all of those players have done it before and just had a very bad game against a bunch of *****.

sorry - should have made myself more clear. I don't think Palace's midfield had players worth £5m - £15m - am saying that to dominate a 10 man midfield against a side with three big, strong, technical, athletic and combative championship standard players needs players approaching that price range. We just didnt have more than a few seconds on the ball, and we just don't have the ability to be able to on-touch our way out of trouble. Bolton used to do the same to decent premiership sides - pack the midfield with big blokes; stop the other team playing.

I think our midfield is about 80% as good as it can be. and i don't think the extra 20% would have been enough. Yes - clearly better movement and better passing would have helped - but i don't think they could give much more.

Marvin is a great athlete and a good footballer and worth probably £2m. But he will never have the finesse to be a really good premiership player. LJ is a great little footballer - but he cost £50k and he's 5'7" - he just doesnt have that much more to give.

Every player out there has a finite limit to ther abilities - and i reckon GJ has got pretty much all of them near 100%. Unfortunately on Monday, even at 100% i don't think we could have dominated that Palace 5 man midfield.

Can't be bothered to explain why, but what an idiot you are.

Just becuase he has a different opinion to you he is wrong :fastasleep:

Back on topic. I think Dele offers a hell of alot more than Enoch. You have to remember Sam, he's only just started his city career. I think he's doing well at the mo, and will get better.

To be perfectly blunt what the intial poster has said, does not reflect the reality of the games' Dele has played in.

He wins majority of his headers, he holds the ball up, has scored a decent goal and looks to bring others into play with clever balls played to runners.

To say he's brough nothing means he must have been watching the games with his eyes closed.

Theres opinion and theres fact.

Every player out there has a finite limit to ther abilities - and i reckon GJ has got pretty much all of them near 100%. Unfortunately on Monday, even at 100% i don't think we could have dominated that Palace 5 man midfield.

I guess that's where I disagree, I thought our midfield were at about 60% against Palace and if they'd moved, showed for the ball properly and passed like I've seen them in other games they'd have pissed on Palace's thuggish oafs.

Went to the game monday and i was up at s****horpe tuesday. Having watched Dele i really fail to see what we have gained by turfing out ES and bringing him in.

Dele movement is not as keen as enochs

His work rate is noticecably less

He wins hardly anything in the air

Enoch would give 60-70 mins flat out harrying wearing down the defence then we could send on byfield or whoever. Also our performances have not looked as good as the start of the season, we are pumping up alot of long balls in the hope dele will win it and hold it up.

We have paid £300,000 for the reportedly and it just doesn't seem like a "futuristic" signing when there are players such as Joe garner at carlisle (think he is on loan) who is young and would relish a chance at a higher level.

I have been impressed with GJ signings to date in the majority (Noble, Mcindoe, Elliot, Byfield, Trundle to name a few) but i just don't feel Dele is going to improve things and keep us going towards the lucrative promotion place!!

another good target man performance and a goal for the big fella - good signing! ;)

Archived