IGNORED

Gary Johnson And Loan Signings

tin

When GJ took over, he brought in several loan signings to save us from the drop to the basement.

In came Osei Sankofa, Kelly Youga, James Quinn, Marc Joseph, Calvin Andrew closely follwed by Wayne Andrews, Nicky Wright, Tamas Vasko plus a few others that I can't recall off the top of my head. All of which did a job but were/are absolute deadwood IMHO.

Now, we're in the best position we've been in for thirty years or so. I know we all say 'in Johnson we trust' and I believe that as well but I wonder what's changed in his attitude towards loans since he's been here?

He seemed to want to address the issues holding us back fairly quickly but the current issue of a +1 goal difference with only a dozen or so games left threatens to scupper us between now and May.

David Nugent seems to be available from Pompey with Harry saying he can go on loan.

Ipswich are sniffing around him but I would've thought he would be an ideal loan target for us. He's got a proven record a this level, we need pace, he works his socks off and all in all seems what I would call a typical GJ player.

Surely a ten-week loan til the end of the season paying his £25k a week wages is worth a gamble? And if not, why not? It'd only cost us £250k in the long-run which is a lot better value than some of the strikers we've got...

When GJ took over, he brought in several loan signings to save us from the drop to the basement.

In came Osei Sankofa, Kelly Youga, James Quinn, Marc Joseph, Calvin Andrew closely follwed by Wayne Andrews, Nicky Wright, Tamas Vasko plus a few others that I can't recall off the top of my head. All of which did a job but were/are absolute deadwood IMHO.

Now, we're in the best position we've been in for thirty years or so. I know we all say 'in Johnson we trust' and I believe that as well but I wonder what's changed in his attitude towards loans since he's been here?

He seemed to want to address the issues holding us back fairly quickly but the current issue of a +1 goal difference with only a dozen or so games left threatens to scupper us between now and May.

David Nugent seems to be available from Pompey with Harry saying he can go on loan.

Ipswich are sniffing around him but I would've thought he would be an ideal loan target for us. He's got a proven record a this level, we need pace, he works his socks off and all in all seems what I would call a typical GJ player.

Surely a ten-week loan til the end of the season paying his £25k a week wages is worth a gamble? And if not, why not? It'd only cost us £250k in the long-run which is a lot better value than some of the strikers we've got...

Whilst he would be a fantastic signing, i can't see us blowing our wage structure apart for a loan deal.

Nugent needs to realise he is a top Championship player and drop his demands accordingly, otherwise he'll end up as a premiership reserve team player with a fat wallet.

With regard to loan signings and GJ, he is quoted as saying 'If you want to motivate players, get players who can be motivated'. This isn't always true of short term loan signings, so maybe GJ's team ethic is the reason we are not after this type of player.

Two loan signings i'd go for? An out of favour David Healy at Fulham, or Freddy Eastwood at Wolves now their season is all but over.

the difference is, when he took over he didn't have a squad of players that he "liked" so brought in players with better attitudes albeit sometimes with a lesser ability because the ones we had at the club were well.........of the wrong attitude.

Now he has got the squad pretty much the way he wants it, he doesn't need loan signings so much apart from due to injuries, ala Andrews last season, GJ has said plenty of times he's not a huge fan of the laon system and personally I tend to agree, in general most Loan signings I've ever seen at the gate, have been short-term fixes majorirty of the time not being any better than what we currently had.

People quote the players that Brum signed last season, but they were on season long loan and had pre-season's and time to settle in before excelling, looking at Nugent in particular, the lad isn't even fully fit after recently having hernia surgery so would take a couple of weeks to settle and then perform anyway, in which case I'd rather wait a couple more weeks for Brooker to come back now he's getting his sharpness back.

Whilst he would be a fantastic signing, i can't see us blowing our wage structure apart for a loan deal.

Nugent needs to realise he is a top Championship player and drop his demands accordingly, otherwise he'll end up as a premiership reserve team player with a fat wallet.

With regard to loan signings and GJ, he is quoted as saying 'If you want to motivate players, get players who can be motivated'. This isn't always true of short term loan signings, so maybe GJ's team ethic is the reason we are not after this type of player.

Two loan signings i'd go for? An out of favour David Healy at Fulham, or Freddy Eastwood at Wolves now their season is all but over.

I dispute the fact that it would blow apart our wage structure purely because we'd only be paying his wages for the ten weeks until the end of the season. So it'd be no different to paying a transfer fee IMHO.

If Ipswich get him, then I'd hate to face them in the play-off's with him in their side. Good shout about Healy though.

I dispute the fact that it would blow apart our wage structure purely because we'd only be paying his wages for the ten weeks until the end of the season. So it'd be no different to paying a transfer fee IMHO.

If Ipswich get him, then I'd hate to face them in the play-off's with him in their side. Good shout about Healy though.

Good point. That is the way you'd position it with the squad too.

Problem is, 10 weeks down the line we may have nothing for our investment. Or we could have Premiership football. Tough call eh??

And who said this managment lark was easy. Maybe i could sign him for Golden Hill?? £3 subs each week mind... :innocent06:

Good point. That is the way you'd position it with the squad too.

Problem is, 10 weeks down the line we may have nothing for our investment. Or we could have Premiership football. Tough call eh??

And who said this managment lark was easy. Maybe i could sign him for Golden Hill?? £3 subs each week mind... :innocent06:

For me, it's a no brainer. He seems like a stereotypical GJ player, would be great off either Dele or Trundle, and £250k's nothing in the big picture when Premiership football's at stake.

Imagine, finishing third after the Preston game, level on points with the team in second, but missing out on goal difference. What will people say then? We should've got a striker another striker in, no doubt! :dunno:

For me, it's a no brainer. He seems like a stereotypical GJ player, would be great off either Dele or Trundle, and £250k's nothing in the big picture when Premiership football's at stake.

Imagine, finishing third after the Preston game, level on points with the team in second, but missing out on goal difference. What will people say then? We should've got a striker another striker in, no doubt! :dunno:

I wouldn't call it a 'no brainer' for a player who is just returning from injury and has a very poor record this season. Especially to chuck £25k per week at him in the hope he recaptures the form of one good season at preston. I'd call that a gamble. Which is what a lot of football is about.

We're too far behind in goal difference now anyway, it's a points game for me IMO.

I like what your saying, and too a degree i'd be of the same opinion. But it certainly isn't a no brainer.

I think he would sign someone with a view to a permanent loan - could Keogh and Garner be involved in a swap deal with Garner joining permanently?

I don't think Nugent will drop with a view to be a permanent deal - I would imagine he would like to keep his options available in the summer.

Anyone know what happens if we get into the play offs with loan signings? Do they have to be signed permanently or what?

I think he would sign someone with a view to a permanent loan - could Keogh and Garner be involved in a swap deal with Garner joining permanently?

I don't think Nugent will drop with a view to be a permanent deal - I would imagine he would like to keep his options available in the summer.

Anyone know what happens if we get into the play offs with loan signings? Do they have to be signed permanently or what?

I can't see Carlisle, who are in with a real chance of possibly going up automatically from the division below, loaning out their top striker at this point in return for a reserve centre back. Likewise why would Wolves loan top six rivals a player like Eastwood that they recently paid a big sum for?

Healy, David Connolly or Scott Sinclair seem more likely targets to me.

There is still a loan transfer deadline as before and players not on season long loans can only go on loan for a maximum of 3 months, so that would include any play off games, I think.

According to a (normally reliable) Stoke fan on another forum, the maximum length of a loan period is 93 days. Stoke have alledgedly held back a loan signing (believed to be Fulop) because of the play off final and keeping that game within 93 days. Maybe we will be doing something with the same implications of doing something earlier .

Archived