IGNORED

Gj

Rob k

Certainly is since ive been watching city, he seems to get his tactics right more often than not even if we sometimes don't have a clue what hes doing!!!

Is he a better manager than Dicks? i was not born so over to the oldies!!

I'll answer that when he gets us to the premiership.. He is something special though, best manager since Dicks by a long shot.

Harry Thickett is the best we've ever had. I'd put Dicks next as he got us into the top flight, which Johnson hasn't done yet

I would have to agree with you 'Sir Colby-tit' ..I remember going down with my dad sitting on his shoulders in the eastend when dicks was manager as i got a bit older and able to find my own way and place to stand (good old days)..but yes Magic Johnson I'm sure will take us up to the top flight...and hes been the best we have had for a very long time...

I'd put Dicks next as he got us into the top flight, which Johnson hasn't done yet

Dicks also got us relegated and put us on the road to bankruptcy due to his pi$$ poor decisions. That's the other side of the coin that people tend to overlook. I never rated Dicks highly as a manager then and I don't now. The development of the promotion team was in no small part down to the work put in by the backroom staff such as John Sillet and Tony Collins.

GJ is by far the best manager we have ever had IMO.

Certainly is since ive been watching city, he seems to get his tactics right more often than not even if we sometimes don't have a clue what hes doing!!!

How about Elders?

(kinder/respectfull)

Results wise, GJ is doing a brilliant job - best man for a long long time. Performance wise - I've seen better, more attrative football under other managers but we've lacked consistency under them.

You cannot compare eras, but if he does get us up, his record will show he is the best City manager ever. I should also add, I think he is one of the two best English managers in the game, Steve Coppell being the other, and is also one of the finest managers in English football. If he is given the time and funds, he could make himself, and City a very serious top flight outfit Of course the top 4 are now in a different financial world, but after that, and based on what we have seen, why not. Bear in mind the time he has had, and the limitations on budget (how much have Charlton and WBA spent) he should be , whatever the outcome of this season, manager of the year, by a long shot. I hope he stays around for a very long time, and keeps building this club from the bottom up. When we have 3 or 4 England under 21 players, we will have arrived.

think harry redknap deserves a mention as well, but totally agree!

I was around to see the Dicks era, and although Dicks acheivement was tremendous, with Gary Johnson you have to consider the change he has engineered in such a short time.

Dicks took over when we were a div 2 (championship) side, and for the first few years we continued to bumble along at that level. It could be argued that it was only the coincidence of an exceptional bunch of young players that propelled us into the 1st division. While he did pretty well to keep us up, the fall from the top tier, when it came , was as dramatic as it was painful.

By comparison Johnson took over a club that was almost on it's knees following Tinnion's short time in charge. We were heading for relegation and with an almost complete lack of discipline among the players. In a short space of time he changed the attitude prevailing at the club, weeded out disruptive players, developed his own team and secured promotion from a division we had languished in for the best part of a decade. To be in contention for a second promotion the very next season is a phenomenal acheivement and a major part of this acheivement I think is down to the manager.

For what he has acheived, and following on from his equally substantial acheivement at Yeovil, I would suggest that Gary Johnson might be considered as a front runner not just for manager of the year, but also manager of the decade.

You cannot compare eras, but if he does get us up, his record will show he is the best City manager ever. I should also add, I think he is one of the two best English managers in the game, Steve Coppell being the other, and is also one of the finest managers in English football. If he is given the time and funds, he could make himself, and City a very serious top flight outfit Of course the top 4 are now in a different financial world, but after that, and based on what we have seen, why not. Bear in mind the time he has had, and the limitations on budget (how much have Charlton and WBA spent) he should be , whatever the outcome of this season, manager of the year, by a long shot. I hope he stays around for a very long time, and keeps building this club from the bottom up. When we have 3 or 4 England under 21 players, we will have arrived.

Last year I compared Gary Johnson to Alf Ramsey. Alf Ramsey took lowly and unfashionable third divsion Ipswich Town to top flight Champions in just 6 years. Can Gary Johnson replicate this? If Gary Johnson wants to be considered the best ever English club manager then this is what he has to do for BCFC. :winner_third_h4h:

Harry Thickett is the best we've ever had. I'd put Dicks next as he got us into the top flight, which Johnson hasn't done yet

Quite right Sir Colby, Harry Thickett was this club's greatest ever manager taking us to a second place finish in ye olde top flight 1906/07 season. He also took us to our one and only FA Cup final against Man U in 1909. Harry Thickett wore his trade mark black bowler hat while coaching our players. Although he was a South Yorkshireman, and a former international at Sheffield United, he was a real West Country celebrity for his ability to inspire the likes of some of BCFC's greatest players including Billy Wedlock and Joe Cottle. :clapping:

Harry Thickett wasn't interested in too much fancy football, instead he was more interested in winning with City once winning 14 games on the trot under his management. We won this very division we're in now under his stewardship in the 1905/06 season. Sadly, Harry Thickett went into obscurity after being sacked by us during the 1910/11 season and took over a pub in Trowbridge. As Landlord his liking for a drink made his weight go up to 25 stone and by the age of 47 he was dead. After Harry Thickett's departure we didn't experience the joy of top flight football again until 65 years had passed and Alan Dicks had got us promotion back to the top flight in 1976.

All hail Harry Thickett - still Bristol City FC's greatest ever manager !!!!!!!

This post was inspired by an article in The Western Daily Press by their journalist David Foot. :icecream:

He's got me onside and after years of growing cynicism that's no small achievement.We've got a winning team with a great PR man at the helm who doesn't allow a string of tired old timers to wear the shirt.7 away wins at this stage after a promotion season in unbelievable for a team that used to get a nosebleed driving up the M32.Even if some we're to think he wasnt the best we need to let him know that we think he is else he'll up sticks and leave.

I think what seperates him from previous managers is his all-round managerial skills.

He is tactically very clever,he can identify good players in the transfer market and he has a firm control over the club as a whole.

He seems to have built a tight ship at Ashton Gate now,wheras certainly under tinnion you got the feel that it was a bit like a playschool.

He is as gifted a manager as you'll find

Archived