IGNORED

Most Frustrating Player?

wellsred

Sproule has to be one of the most frustrating players I've seen for a while at City. OK, his final ball, crossing and shooting are pretty abysmal but I would say that really doesn't matter. This lad is so quick why doesn't he just run? Knock the ball into the corner and chase the hell out of it! He will win a corner or free kick (pen?) every time because there aren't many at all that'll beat him to the ball. But he rarely does this. Get level with the full back and get ready to go. OK we don't want to resort to long ball ever but this could be a great outlet. Doesn't do it often enough. Really frustrating...

Sproule has to be one of the most frustrating players I've seen for a while at City. OK, his final ball, crossing and shooting are pretty abysmal but I would say that really doesn't matter. This lad is so quick why doesn't he just run? Knock the ball into the corner and chase the hell out of it! He will win a corner or free kick (pen?) every time because there aren't many at all that'll beat him to the ball. But he rarely does this. Get level with the full back and get ready to go. OK we don't want to resort to long ball ever but this could be a great outlet. Doesn't do it often enough. Really frustrating...

So just how is he supposed to win a corner from that?

If not many players can catch him who's going to be clearing the ball for a corner or fouling him - surely Sproule will just catch the ball up on his own?

So just how is he supposed to win a corner from that?

If not many players can catch him who's going to be clearing the ball for a corner or fouling him - surely Sproule will just catch the ball up on his own?

That's a little pedantic...

The point is that his main attribute is his pace and he doesn't use it often enough. If he does catch the ball up on his own then great he's in a good position himself. OR if the only way a defender can stop him is to bring him down or nick the ball away for throw-in or corner the team are in a good position.

I'd always have him in the team just for his level of commitment e.g. sprinting the length of the pitch to stop a palace counter-attack last week. Great stuff.

The point is that his main attribute is his pace and he doesn't use it often enough. If he does catch the ball up on his own then great he's in a good position himself. OR if the only way a defender can stop him is to bring him down or nick the ball away for throw-in or corner the team are in a good position.

I'd always have him in the team just for his level of commitment e.g. sprinting the length of the pitch to stop a palace counter-attack last week. Great stuff.

He'd always be in my team as well. However, my point was really that you need someone with a bit of footballing skill not just pace otherwise I'm sure loads of athletes would want to become footballers as there is more money in this sport!

Fair point Mr Wellsred and have to say I liken him to Aaron Lennon at Spurs .

He likes to take a player on , is tricky and pace to die for . Players around him knock the ball into the channals for him to run on to ( not lump it ).

Problem with Sproule though and unlike Lennon , there is often an inconsistant end result .

When he is on fire he is red hot but he is to often luke warm .

Hey here we go again , we're second in the league and avin a poke at em .

Sorry G.J just a matter of opinion .

Sproule is frustrating but to say his final ball and finishing is abysmal is beyond harsh.

I've seen him put plenty of quality into the box and there's been nobody there to finish it off, probably because of the formation we play with one up top and the lack of a proper finisher at the club.

You can't expect wonder goals off him every week like the two he's got but he strikes me as being one of those player's that when he good, he's very good and when he's not, he's not. Wonder if GJ taking out a bit of his aggression has had anything to do with it..?

Well i figured that Murray has got as many, if not more goals than Sproule and only played about a quarter as many games.

Sproule is good for the team, but equally so is Murray, tbh Murray isnt what he used to be, but his contribution at the start of the season should not be forgotton

Interesting comparison with Scotty. At his best I don't think Scotty had anything like Sproule's pace, although he was plenty quick enough, but what made him so effective for us during his best years was his ability to run onto diagonal balls knocked in behind the full back from Tinnion's left boot.

Although Ivan can accelerate from a standing start, I always feel he doesn't have the confidence to beat a defender in this way. In a straight leg race I can't see many defenders bettering him, but how often do we give him balls to run on to? At Portman Road there were acres of space behind his full back but more ofte than not he got the ball played into his feet, enabling the defender to close him down quickly. He seems reluctant to knock the ball past the defender and go for it, but then so do our midfield. McIndoe seems happier having the ball played to his feet and woking with it, but perhaps we need a diffferent approach to get the best out of Ivan.

Archived