IGNORED

Stereotyping The West...

newboy

Daily Mirror: "Drink Up Thy Zider - Bristol City are heading for the Premier League after Jamie McCombe's bicycle kick made him the toast of Ashton Gate. The central defender's second goal in successive home games earned him the rocking Robins' equivalent of a supermarket's employee of the month gong. City fans swayed into the sunset bellowing their Wurzels scrumpy anthem as Gary Johnson's men hit No.1 in the Championship, and now it is not just Michael Caine and Tobey Maguire's Oscar-winning movie where the cider house rules. With Johnson's mob flying high, and the Gasheads across town in the FA Cup quarterfinals next weekend, these are happy days in football's wild West country. Thirty years since Bristol City were on the top shelf of the oven, it is about time the Premier League's parking lots were infiltrated by a few combine harvesters among the Chelsea tractors."

Jeez.. not many cities as cosmopolitan as Bristol - fine eating, good variety of gigs, healthy influx of external influences combined with the inbuilt friendliness of the city has made it the third most "sticky" place to live (where people come and then stay).

A vibrant music scene, lots of history and lots of regeneration - in fact the only thing it's missing is a stadium (no thanks to the council).

And yet we're seen as a bunch of combine harvester driving yokels with straws in our mouths in a wild part of the country.

Idiots. Probably doesn't help that we play the Wurzels though when visitors come to AG. What must they think?

i'm proud of all this. They can think what they like, but all I know is I would rather be here than in that dump birmingham, or crime central Liverpool/ Manchester, or in smoggy London... catch my drift?

:englandsmile4wf: i agree mate, we really should shake off the country bumkin image that we have , but hay this is brizzel, the best place to live.. we have it all in our fair city except a prem football club that will soon to be corrected. Be proud of our heritage.

Yeah, I understand where you're coming from - I'm here through choice - in reality I could live anywhere and would probably be better off work-wise towards the M4 corridor.

We shouldn't be ashamed of where we've come from, but I feel we shouldn't be happy with people dismissing us because of an outdated view.

But this is just lazy journalism and falling back on cliches and London-ism, where the world stops outside of the M25.

Still, I suppose it gives Bristol a "Secret Garden" sort of feel..... we're here and that's all that matters. Let them stick to the cesspit that is London.

But in reality that's exactly what happened. Grown men leaving the ground all singing Drink Up Thy Zider, and I wouldn't have it any other way, because if that stops, it means we haven't won.

But "wild west" and "combine harvesters" - that's just patronising... It's almost as if no-one outside the home counties has got the internet yet...

It's as bad as saying Northerners only use outside toilets and all the Welsh are miners. Or that journalists are lazy idiots (Redtop excepted)... hang on...

But "wild west" and "combine harvesters" - that's just patronising... It's almost as if no-one outside the home counties has got the internet yet...

It's as bad as saying Northerners only use outside toilets and all the Welsh are miners. Or that journalists are lazy idiots (Redtop excepted)... hang on...

Its not patronising if the fans here already do it to themselves.

Daily Mirror: "Drink Up Thy Zider - Bristol City are heading for the Premier League after Jamie McCombe's bicycle kick made him the toast of Ashton Gate. The central defender's second goal in successive home games earned him the rocking Robins' equivalent of a supermarket's employee of the month gong. City fans swayed into the sunset bellowing their Wurzels scrumpy anthem as Gary Johnson's men hit No.1 in the Championship, and now it is not just Michael Caine and Tobey Maguire's Oscar-winning movie where the cider house rules. With Johnson's mob flying high, and the Gasheads across town in the FA Cup quarterfinals next weekend, these are happy days in football's wild West country. Thirty years since Bristol City were on the top shelf of the oven, it is about time the Premier League's parking lots were infiltrated by a few combine harvesters among the Chelsea tractors."

Jeez.. not many cities as cosmopolitan as Bristol - fine eating, good variety of gigs, healthy influx of external influences combined with the inbuilt friendliness of the city has made it the third most "sticky" place to live (where people come and then stay).

A vibrant music scene, lots of history and lots of regeneration - in fact the only thing it's missing is a stadium (no thanks to the council).

And yet we're seen as a bunch of combine harvester driving yokels with straws in our mouths in a wild part of the country.

Idiots. Probably doesn't help that we play the Wurzels though when visitors come to AG. What must they think?

Get off your high horse, who gives a toss? I can't wait to get natched out of my head and drive my combine harvester to Stamford Bridge, loads of carrotz for I from now on gert smart if you asks I

we really should shake off the country bumkin image that we have

Got no chance mate, just like Liverpool has no chance of shaking off its "dirty thieving bastards" image.

Its not a bad sterotype as they go, i kinda like the Wurzels and the whole combine harvester chat, people who come to Bristol for the first time are usually amazed with the place and find it weird we are not all chewing straw!

Its THE best City in the UK, without doubt, no questions, end of, thats it, Liverpool, London, Birmingham, Manchester don't even come close tbh imo!!!! :englandsmile4wf:

Got no chance mate, just like Liverpool has no chance of shaking off its "dirty thieving bastards" image.

Its not a bad sterotype as they go, i kinda like the Wurzels and the whole combine harvester chat, people who come to Bristol for the first time are usually amazed with the place and find it weird we are not all chewing straw!

its THE best City on the UK, without doubt, no questions, end of, thats it!!!! :englandsmile4wf:

I live in London have done for 18yrs - spent time in other English cities with work and leisure. But whenever I do visit Bristol these days, I realise what a fantastic city I was born in...........BRISTOL we love you xx and CITY we love you more xxx

I think the problem stems from our country being so London-centric. It means that anybody not southern assumes that London and the home counties is the only place in the south worth bothering with and the South West is just a load of farmers.

Bristol is a fantastic city, one that I will always stand up for, and sadly let down by an inept local council.

I'd like to keep our Wurzels and cider-swilling image, whilst being taken seriously as a cosmopolitan city by outsiders. I think that's probably too much to ask for. :laugh:

I also think this is more a NORTHERN type of thing too.

Hhaving lived in London for 18yrs I have got plenty of people's perspective on what Bristol means to them regardless of whether they've been there or not, and most think of it as cool and trendy city......trust, I am very patriotic towards Bristol, so tend to get into lots of convo with other people living in London about Bristol.

Most people in London do not look at us as farmers..........

Where i live in worcester, the steryotype that everyone in bristol is a farmer is rather strong. I am frequently reminded of this, and to be fair does get a little annoyin having never lived in Bristol. Don't think having a west country accent helps though(piked up through parents).

Bristol is a fantastic city, one that I will always stand up for, and sadly let down by an inept local council.

I'd like to keep our Wurzels and cider-swilling image, whilst being taken seriously as a cosmopolitan city by outsiders. I think that's probably too much to ask for. :laugh:

I'm Bristolian and proud to be a cider swilling Wurzel. In my opinion, Bristol has been sadly let down by its University that doesn't educate Bristolians - that it was set up for - but prefers instead to recruit inbred Toffs that have failed their Oxbridge entrance exams.

Gone quiet.. you guys all out feeding your cows and checkinig your cider apple trees ?????

I be a cider swilling Bristolian Wurzel and I like my soap box. :innocent06:

I'm actually indoors cursing the braying Public School educated Tory Toff inbreeeeeds that blight our criminal justice system and Government. :innocent06:

I'm actually indoors cursing the braying Public School educated Tory Toff inbreeeeeds that blight our criminal justice system and Government. :innocent06:

Hey chill out man, chill out and relax and enjoy the championship table. :D

I've lived in the midlands (Wolverhampton area), London (North and North West), Liverpool and Formby as well as Essex and now North Wales. I've visited and stayed in all the large towns and Cities of the UK and I can honestly say that Bristol is by far the best City in the country for all the reasons previously mentioned.

It wasn't voted the UK's most smiliest place for nothing.

It is a fantastic place to have been born and raised and I really envy you lot who have managed to stay there.

As for the Wurzels and combine harvesters etc etc - have a laugh with it, go along with it, and then watch the poor buggers going back to their grimy, grey and miserable littel towns with the life styles that go with it.

I'll be back one day.

North Wales is nice but a tad wet.

Ahhh thees young uns with yer trendy bars and yer praan raps don't know what thees be missin. Wots wrong with a drop of the scrumpy an a big bap stuffed with cheddar an a pickled unyun an all? Get down the ground and cheer yer arts out me babbys because city's going to get into yerup soon an it'll be like ole adge sed in "when the common market come to Stanton Drew" an we'll all say "ooh la la oui oui, instead of ow bis thee!"

:englandsmile4wf: i agree mate, we really should shake off the country bumkin image that we have , but hay this is brizzel, the best place to live.. we have it all in our fair city except a prem football club that will soon to be corrected. Be proud of our heritage.

If that was a deliberate pun I salute you mate, superb.

Liked the 'Cider House Rules' line in the report.

I can't see anything to get upset about in this piece - we constructed this identity for ourselves, we revel in it. Or is it the old chestnut that we can take the rise out of ourselves, but if a furriner does it, God help them?

There's only one thing worse than being talked about...and that's not being talked about.

I be a cider swilling Bristolian Wurzel and I like my soap box. :innocent06:

Aint the Wurzels tag / nickname a somerset thing...moreover Nailsea / Pill / Portishead etc, rather than the city of Bristol.

Ahem...yes...lazy journalism

Archived