IGNORED

Charlton's Coach Scheme

cidercity1987

I was just having a nose at this link about Charlton organising coach travel from Kent, Surrey, Sussex and Hampshire to their home games. A ticket costs £5 return, so is obviously it's good value for money.

I wonder if this is something BCFC would ever consider, especially if we had our new ground to fill in a few years time? If the marketing was done correctly we could dominate the whole region and have coaches come in from places like Exeter, North Devon, Somerset, Wiltshire, Gloucester etc. The price would have to be affordable, as Charlton's is but do you think this is a) a good idea? b) profitable for the club? c) ever likely to have much interest in it?

I would definately take interest, being from wiltshire and using the best part of half a tank of petrol each home game a fiver is definately value for money, or even a tenner.

I think its a good idea as well for younger people, like school kids who don't drive and would find getting busses, trains and taxis like we used to have to do when at school, too much hassle.

I would definately take interest, being from wiltshire and using the best part of half a tank of petrol each home game a fiver is definately value for money, or even a tenner.

I think its a good idea as well for younger people, like school kids who don't drive and would find getting busses, trains and taxis like we used to have to do when at school, too much hassle.

The parents would be happier letting them go to games on their own or with mates if it was in the form of organised travel aswell I'm sure.

Gillingham fans moan about Charlton taking away their support because the coaches stop in the Medway area, so imagine how many league clubs we'd could piss off! Yeovil, Exeter, Cheltenham even Rovers and maybe Cardiff to an extent if we were in the Premiership and they weren't.

I noticed in the West Brom programme - when we visited on boxing Day - that they do the same thing.

They organise cheap coaches from places like Kidderminster, Stourbridge,Bromsgrove,Bridgenorth, Telford, and even Worcester.

The pick up points were at a designated central pub in these towns.

Seemed like a good idea to me at the time : a session in the pub with fellow fans - coach arrives and takes you to ground, after the game the coach drops you off at the pub again.....sorted !!

CS take note - you are going to have to spread the net to fill the new 30,000 stadium EVERY week

CR

I was with you until I read that !

I'm sure you were joking. though

CR

I'm sure there's a few floaters over there that would fancy a better standard of football, especially those in Newport and Chepstow type areas that might normally vaguely follow Cardiff. No? That'd be all be dependent on league position at the time though.

• Admin

The last time we were in the top flight, saw many fans from Devon and even Cornwall making the journey to the Gate for every game, many of these fans drifted away as we dropped down the leagues, there is no doubt that promotion would see many come back.

In work, one of my colleagues who isn't a City fan, is going to buy a season ticket if we go up, just so he can guarantee a ticket to see the big four, I doubt if he's alone in that, we'd see a massive influx of new 'fans' and neutrals.

Whilst we remain at the Gate, mthere may not be a need for organised buses, but it would seem a good idea to start it now, get folk used to coming to games regularly and that can only be of benefit when we move.

As someone has already stated 30yr ago it was normal - I used to come on one of many from Yate with me school mates and the car park would be full of coaches from all over the west & south but none were organised by the club they were all private run by local coach firms -

Thats who we need to get involved if you want something similar but not sure if club would welcome influx of private coaches in this day and age

Used to get one from Clevedon to the matches but it soon stopped after we started getting relegated from the old 1st division.

Is the idea a good one - a very good one and one for the new stadium as I suspect filling Ashton Gate if we were in the premiership is not going to be a problem.

A coach from Cardiff Gate stopping at Magor Services and Chepstow would be most appreciated by those of us who support City and live in Wales - it's not the ticket price solely stopping more regular visits - £30 for a ticket is about half of my expenses for a trip to City at home for me - reduce that traveling expense to a fiver or tenner, not having to look for car parking spaces and you take away a good few of the reasons for not attending matches at Ashton Gate.

I noticed in the West Brom programme - when we visited on boxing Day - that they do the same thing.

They organise cheap coaches from places like Kidderminster, Stourbridge,Bromsgrove,Bridgenorth, Telford, and even Worcester.

CR

Theres a large stronghold of WBA fans in and around worcester. I'm sure theres a few city fans lurking somewhere in amongst Worcester too sumwhere. Wonder if theres enough to even possibly run a coach from here. I no for one i would use it.

Archived