IGNORED

Don't Make Gary Scapegoat.........

reddevon

In today's Daily Mail journalist Des Kelly writes of his move to the West Country and City becoming his favourite team. He goes on about the Yo-Yo culture of teams between Prem and Championship and American consortiums moving in to pick up clubs for their parachute payments.

Talks of casualties like Billy Davies at Derby and asks that

" In Gary Johnson, Bristol have another canny boss in charge. Let's hope his board still believe that if and when, he suffers a few heavy defeats. Football clubs have a habit of employing a short-term memory - and a new manager - when they need a scapegoat."

Seems the Press are begining to take us seriously and he probably echoes the fears/thoughts of the majority of City fans, I for one was disgusted by the Derby board whwn they sacked Davies and bought in nobody better!

Not your average journalist, Des Kelly must have something upstairs - I think she's called Carol Vorderman!

I think that even in these ever increasing impatient times, when everything is throwaway and is wanted yesterday, our board has shown patience and commitment to Gary. Even when times have been hard, yes there were really some of them! Both SL and GJ seem to share some qualities, both driven, successful men. Right now, thankfully, they are on the same wavelength.

He has shown he is here to do a job from the bottom upwards, (and I'm not referring to Burton's window), and he has made progress beyond my expectations. And there is still more to come I believe.

I can't even think about it but one day he may want to leave, or we'll want him to, and they'll be plenty of clubs who will want him. I don't look forward to playing against a Johnson team!!!

In today's Daily Mail journalist Des Kelly writes of his move to the West Country and City becoming his favourite team. He goes on about the Yo-Yo culture of teams between Prem and Championship and American consortiums moving in to pick up clubs for their parachute payments.

Talks of casualties like Billy Davies at Derby and asks that

" In Gary Johnson, Bristol have another canny boss in charge. Let's hope his board still believe that if and when, he suffers a few heavy defeats. Football clubs have a habit of employing a short-term memory - and a new manager - when they need a scapegoat."

Seems the Press are begining to take us seriously and he probably echoes the fears/thoughts of the majority of City fans, I for one was disgusted by the Derby board whwn they sacked Davies and bought in nobody better!

Not your average journalist, Des Kelly must have something upstairs - I think she's called Carol Vorderman!

It would be very hard to think of a situation where GJ would be sacked other than gross misconduct (unlikely). They work brilliantly together - the nearest example i guess would be the current set up at Watford?

Our club has no arguing board of directors, no financial peril, no delusions of grandeur, no big time charlie players, and happy fans. yes it could all go plop if either SL or GJ left us, but I get the feeling that no-one is planning to overextend things for the time being and therefore its hard to see where the contention would come from.

We already have had some heavy defeats this season and no one blinked an eye, so what is likely to change?

The only reason I could see right now for GJ jumping ship would be if we did actually go up then the fans turned on the club if we didnt win every game. I get the feeling he is in it for the glory not the money, and SL is atute and rich enough to realise that keep Gary happy with whatever he needs or wants and the success just follows. He loves living in the west country. Perhaps a job like Spurs would appeal so he could move back to Newmarket but who nowadays in the top 10 prem clubs appoints englishmen?

Derby was totally different. They didn't expect to go up, planned too late, Davies fell out with the new chairman and walked/was pushed. We have PJ looking at prem calibre players since last May.

We're doomed Captain. or not. in Gary we trust. These new glory hunters need to get some perspective!

ps isnt' Des Kelly the name of that camp faded 80s childrens character on Little Britain?

I think City will be sensible about it. The example to look at here is Watford refusing to panic when Boothroyd took them up and couldn't keep them up - they're challenging again, and on a better financial footing. Whereas, say, Sheffield United panicked, sacked Acorn Winkle, and look where they are now (and look where Palace are, for that matter).

I think City will be sensible about it. The example to look at here is Watford refusing to panic when Boothroyd took them up and couldn't keep them up - they're challenging again, and on a better financial footing. Whereas, say, Sheffield United panicked, sacked Acorn Winkle, and look where they are now (and look where Palace are, for that matter).

I believe Acorn left of his own free will. Hard to imagine some of the Blade fans pine for his return!!

In today's Daily Mail journalist Des Kelly writes ...

For the answer to this question you only have to look at how Steve L got where is: Investment not Speculation, he and GJ have got a great deal invested in their current partnership and they are both shrewd enough to know it.

Everything about the way they gone about the task of moving City onwards and upwards suggests to me they already have long-term plans that will survive the odd set back.

For the answer to this question you only have to look at how Steve L got where is: Investment not Speculation, he and GJ have got a great deal invested in their current partnership and they are both shrewd enough to know it.

Everything about the way they gone about the task of moving City onwards and upwards suggests to me they already have long-term plans that will survive the odd set back.

Gary Johnson was a shrewd investment by Steve Lansdown. Steve Lansdown was on a learnining curve and was third time lucky with the appointment of Gary Johnson after the disappointments of Danny Wilson and Brian Tinnion.

That's more like it RedUn, you're sounding more Bristolian - or was it a Freudian slip ??!!! :icecream: .....

"Everything about the way they gone about the task"

Archived