IGNORED

A Bristol City Fc Top Flight Question...

Mr Mosquito

I've got a feeling it might be Cowell.

20 goals in 1909/10.

I'm pretty sure no one except Tom Ritchie got more than double figures the last time we are were in the top flight.

Not a bad guess Nogbad, John Cowell did make the top 20 in the 1909/10 season with 20 goals but that was not enough to make the top 10.

Didnt realise you were that old Noggers! :icecream:

Nogbad is of great wisdom concerning all matters BCFC. We actually had 3 top 20 top flight goalscorers in the 1906/07 season. With us now, once again, being on the verge of the top flight - will we achieve that next season ?????!!!!!! :winner_third_h4h:

Didnt realise you were that old Noggers! :icecream:

I must be - my memory's failing - I was sure Billy Maxwell only notched 17 that season.

I must have missed one because I definitely only threw my flat cap up in the air 17 times to celebrate his goals that year. :smartass::winner_third_h4h:

I must be - my memory's failing - I was sure Billy Maxwell only notched 17 that season.

I must have missed one because I definitely only threw my flat cap up in the air 17 times to celebrate his goals that year. :smartass::winner_third_h4h:

Click on the link below, that website will show all the top top flight scorers for every season. Great stuff......

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/goalscorers/Sea.../1906-1907.html

Nogbad is of great wisdom concerning all matters BCFC. We actually had 3 top 20 top flight goalscorers in the 1906/07 season. With us now, once again, being on the verge of the top flight - will we achieve that next season ?????!!!!!! :winner_third_h4h:

Someone to beat Tom Ritchie's 13 anyway.

We really struggled to score last time we were up, often failing to score at all with lots of 1-0 home reverses.

If we manage to go up again, City will surely be more adventurous and free scoring under GJ than Alan Dicks who produced a workmanlike side but never had the resources to really push us on.

100 years ago next season Gilligan only managed to net 10 times but Owers fired in 16 two years later in the relegated team of 1910/11.

I'd be looking for 15+ from McCombe next season. :innocent06:

Marcus Stewart is also a correct aswer to your question .... you never said in the same season.

Not really, the goals had to be scored for BCFC while BCFC was a top flight club. Billy Maxwell is the only player to have scored enough top flight goals for BCFC to make the top ten of top flight goalscorers.

If memory serves me correct, it was you and I that tipped Jamie McCombe for England stardom last season when we were in the third tier of English football. :innocent06:

It certainly was Gobbers, not just England stardom but glorious World Cup winning captain. :winner_third_h4h:

At the moment The Bullet Heading Man Mountain contents himself with belatedly leading City's promotion charge with imperious headed goals and contortionist bicycle kicks but the England captaincy and World acclaim appear ever more certain to be his destiny.

There were many doubters last season - they seem few and far between now, I notice......... ;)

It certainly was Gobbers, not just stardom but glorious World Cup winning captain. :winner_third_h4h:

At the moment The Bullet Heading Man Mountain contents himself with belatedly leading City's promotion charge with imperious headed goals and contortionist bicycle kicks but the England captaincy and World acclaim appear ever more certain to be his destiny.

There were many doubters last season - they seem few and far between now, I notice......... ;)

We stood alone last season on this message board with our contention that Jamie McCombe would one day play for England. Who would doubt us now? :icecream:

We stood alone last season on this message board with our contention that Jamie McCombe would one day play for England. Who would doubt us now? :icecream:

A brave man or a fool.

I would imagine Terry and Ferdinand are getting decidedly jittery over McCombes "giant strides".:yes:

I heard that Oliver Cromwell scored 17 for us in 1652.

Without wanting to get the Royalists moaning, Oliver Cromwell was outdone by Thomas Rainsbrough in September 1645. Thomas Rainsbrough and his regiment got an estimated score of 3,000 for us. :innocent06:

Someone to beat Tom Ritchie's 13 anyway.

We really struggled to score last time we were up, often failing to score at all with lots of 1-0 home reverses.

If we manage to go up again, City will surely be more adventurous and free scoring under GJ than Alan Dicks who produced a workmanlike side but never had the resources to really push us on.

100 years ago next season Gilligan only managed to net 10 times but Owers fired in 16 two years later in the relegated team of 1910/11.

I'd be looking for 15+ from McCombe next season. :innocent06:

As I'm sure you know Nogbad the loss of Cheesley was monumental in influencing Dicks in our style of play.Dicks plan was to pair Paul with Garland with Ritchie to fill the hole behind them,events tragically transpired that it never happened and so we never got to see a more attacking style with greater goal potential.Coupled with Whiteheads reduced appetite to operate as a winger and as you rightly mention limited resorces Dicks had no real choice but to make City a hard to beat side.Indeed even in the relegation season few sides beat us by wide margins.

Regarding G.J. and his ability to create a more free scoring and attacking team , I'm afraid I just cannot see it.The achievements this season are utterly fantastic yet in no way even at this level have we operated as a free scoring side.

Dicks plan was to pair Paul with Garland with Ritchie to fill the hole behind them,events tragically transpired that it never happened and so we never got to see a more attacking style with greater goal potential.

The reality is that Garland was only signed after Cheesley was crocked. Cheesley already had a failed comeback by that time and his career was obviously in doubt.

Coupled with Whiteheads reduced appetite to operate as a winger .

Nonsense. Whitehead operated as a winger for the first 3 seasons and was shifted to fullback in the 4th season to accommodate the useless Geert Meyer - a foolish decision by Dicks which played a part in City getting relegated. Whitehead reverted to a winger when he moved on to WBA.

Nonsense. Whitehead operated as a winger for the first 3 seasons and was shifted to fullback in the 4th season to accommodate the useless Geert Meyer - a foolish decision by Dicks which played a part in City getting relegated. Whitehead reverted to a winger when he moved on to WBA.

We finished 13th in the 1978/79 season and we seemed to be about to establish ourselves as a top flight club. In my opinion the loss of Norman Hunter for the 1979/80 season was the biggest factor in our relegation. I was only 14 but I remember terrace talk at the time with older City supporters saying that Norman Hunter should have replaced Alan Dicks as manager. I'm not sure that Norman Hunter replacing Alan Dicks as manager would have made much difference but Norman Hunter leaving the club was a great loss.

I remember an article in the paper (circa 76/77) which was titled

"Clive is a City Sinner"

It pointed out that in the first 15 or so games back in First div 11 players had been booked for fouls on our "flying" winger

Still got it somewhere along with green un & EP reports of every game that season - hopefuly my son will get the chance to do the same next season!

As I'm sure you know Nogbad the loss of Cheesley was monumental in influencing Dicks in our style of play.Dicks plan was to pair Paul with Garland with Ritchie to fill the hole behind them,events tragically transpired that it never happened and so we never got to see a more attacking style with greater goal potential.Coupled with Whiteheads reduced appetite to operate as a winger and as you rightly mention limited resorces Dicks had no real choice but to make City a hard to beat side.Indeed even in the relegation season few sides beat us by wide margins.

Regarding G.J. and his ability to create a more free scoring and attacking team , I'm afraid I just cannot see it.The achievements this season are utterly fantastic yet in no way even at this level have we operated as a free scoring side.

Unbelievable bad luck that cheese was injured in the first home match after the euphoria of promotion and just a few days after the memorable Arsenal match. That was a fateful day indeed and the loss of such a talismanic colossus must have led to an immediate reasessment of our style and prospects.

As for GJ creating a more freescoring and attacking team than AD - well, GJ was famous for his attacking style at Yeovil and always sets out for 3 points. He wants goals from all areas, i.e the 'bonus' goals of Elliott, McCombe, Orr and it is just a real goalscorer we lack who could provide similar tallies to those Jevons provided for GJ at the level below.

Unlike AD, he prefers to play with 2 speedy wingers and generally his teams attack and create chances. Despite our lack of a genuine goalscorer our poor goal return this season is a bit of a mystery as City always go out to put concerted pressure on the opposition.

This could change if we go up as we'd then no doubt acquire a couple of new 'better' forwards and there would be absolutely no point in changing our style and playing a defensive game.

I can't see GJ changing his philosophy and style 1 iota if we go up.This boldness would likely take more than one team by surprise and could well lead to a more impressive goal tally than in our previous excursion into the top flight.

We finished 13th in the 1978/79 season and we seemed to be about to establish ourselves as a top flight club. In my opinion the loss of Norman Hunter for the 1979/80 season was the biggest factor in our relegation. I was only 14 but I remember terrace talk at the time with older City supporters saying that Norman Hunter should have replaced Alan Dicks as manager. I'm not sure that Norman Hunter replacing Alan Dicks as manager would have made much difference but Norman Hunter leaving the club was a great loss.

Not replacing Hunter AND Collier were the big factors for relegation, along with spending the Collier transfer fee on the useless Tony Fitzpatrick.

There was talk of Hunter being offered a coaching position and groomed as a replacement for AD, but the opportunity wasn't taken. Big mistake IMO.

I've just found out from www.citystats.org.uk that we signed Billy Maxwell from Millwall in 1905. He was our top scorer when we won the second division championship in 1906 - the very division we're in now. He is our only player to date that has scored enough goals for BCFC to make the top ten of top flight goalscorers for a season. Interestingly, we currently have two recently signed Millwall players - Darren Byfield and Marvin Elliott - could be a very lucky omen ??!!!! :icecream:

Billy Maxwell signed from Millwall to BCFC in 1905.......

478.jpg

Archived