IGNORED

wookey

On the way back from Leicester I listened to Alan Green on 606.

After covering Barnsley and Pompey for an hour or so he made room for a few comments on the Championship.

I can't quote him exactly because I was driving but the gist of what he said follows.

"The Championship is very poor this year, which is demonstrated by Stoke and Bristol City being at the top and none of the previously Premiership Clubs doing very well."

None can see who don't open their eyes and look.

As far as the game was concerned City looked unbalanced by playing Byfield instead of Sproule; who looks a threat even if he is playing badly. Adeboule was tightly marked and could do very little. Carle hasn't contributed much over the last few games. The midfield looked overrun and we need Carey back to give stability. Perhaps Gary will allow Carey to play against Watford, who will be fresh not having played this weekend.

After covering Barnsley and Pompey for an hour or so he made room for a few comments on the Championship.

I can't quote him exactly because I was driving but the gist of what he said follows.

"The Championship is very poor this year, which is demonstrated by Stoke and Bristol City being at the top and none of the previously Premiership Clubs doing very well."

That doesn't really make sense. If the championship was poor then surely these teams with players who are considered good enough for the Premier League would be walking away with it? So, the experts consider it poor purely because their "favourites" aren't good enough. By the same token, they would consider the Premier League poor if Man City or Portsmouth took the title.

Green is a self-appointed football "expert" who couldn't find his way to a Championship ground (unless it was one of his beloved ex-Premiership teams) with Sat Nav and a guide dog. A man who abuses referees on a regular basis then criticises Alex Ferguson for doing the same. Knowledge zero, credibility zero. A disgrace to the BBC. Belongs on Talk Sport. Otherwise he's fine. :grr:

None can see who don't open their eyes and look.

As far as the game was concerned City looked unbalanced by playing Byfield instead of Sproule; who looks a threat even if he is playing badly. Adeboule was tightly marked and could do very little. Carle hasn't contributed much over the last few games. The midfield looked overrun and we need Carey back to give stability. Perhaps Gary will allow Carey to play against Watford, who will be fresh not having played this weekend.

I usually don't mind Alan Green but he was on this occasion bang out of order or more to the point, he was stero type casting based on the name of the clubs at the top of the league. I actually thought about trying to get on and ask him how many Championship games he had actually watched this season as I bet I could count them on one hand and still have space for my thumb and little finger!

And based on his assesment are we to assume that the FA Cup is rublish this year because none of the "Big Four" are still in it? Unfortunately it is yet another expample of lazy journalism, which in Alan Greens case is not good enough because it is our license fees that give him the privilage of talking such tosh.

they say the championship is a poor league yet look at the number of cup upsets this season. Plenty of shocks and good performances by teams in the championship in the FA cup in particular. Think barnsley beat 2 of the power 4 teams so does that mean the premier league is just as poor as the championship?

they say the championship is a poor league yet look at the number of cup upsets this season. Plenty of shocks and good performances by teams in the championship in the FA cup in particular. Think barnsley beat 2 of the power 4 teams so does that mean the premier league is just as poor as the championship?

The reality which many won't like to hear and to be honest I don't like admitting it either, is that English football full stop is not good enough. The prem is riddled with foreign talent because it is better quality and gives better value for money. Two out of the last three England managers are foreign because there is nobody good enough here to do the job. And it is a case that the media think it easy to blame the situation on a so say "poor" championship" league. Rather than smell the coffee and understand that it is football at the highest level in this country that really has the problem, underlined by the fact that non of us will be spending the summer going to the European Championships.

Coaching of young talent needs to improve domestically and for one I am proud that Bristol City take youth developement so seriously and are trying to improve the caliabre of player at the club.

Archived