IGNORED

Leicester Match Review

Ross Verbals

Leicester City 0 - 0 Bristol City

08/03/2008

I left my house in Birmingham, setting off for the bus stop that would get us to the train station when something inside me panicked and I bellowed to my friend Shafi, "My lucky scarf, I haven't got my lucky scarf!" "Did you wear it at QPR?" Shafi reasonably asked after the 3-0 drubbing. "No" was the reasoned reply. "OK, go, go get the scarf!!!"A short sprint followed and I emerged in Shafi's eye view wielding the scarf like Morrissey would gladioli. If ever a match proved that the red and white Bristol City scarf holds some sway, this was it.

In a match that simply did not warrant a 0-0 draw, Bristol City escaped the East Midlands one point richer and still at the top of The Championship.

Starting with a 4-4-2, Gary Johnson elected to start with:

Basso

Wilson McCombe Fontaine McCallister

Carle Johnson Elliott McIndoe

Byfield Adebola

It was clear from the very first minute that Ian Holloway's Leicester side were instructed to be "up and at them from the get go" with the wind with them and the direct straight balls for Howard, which were controlled and laid off by the big man for pacy wingers Hume and Etuhu. Diagonal direct balls were collected by Campbell, whose pace troubled our high defensive back line every time. To be fair to City's defence they dealt with the attacking prowess with tenacity, but at times they were cut open too easily.

Basso was struggling to kick sufficently with the gusting wind against him, his kicks barely reached the half way line. With the midfield bypassed because of Leicester's direct play Johnson became a bystander because with the pitch in the state it was, City attempted to play the ball on the floor and were caught out, losing possession by hard working Leicester, sometimes in the most critical of areas. With Leicester creating, but crucially missing a hatful of chances it was City who almost took the lead with both Carle and McIndoe coming close. The first half though, must be replaying in Iain Hume's head and wondering how he couldn't score one of his numerous chances. The Leicester top scorer was unusually wasteful, his final effort of the half was parried by Basso into the onrushing Kelvin Etuhu, who again missed the target. So scarf, so good.

Half-time o-o

The second half saw Sproule rapidly introduced on the right wing for the out of position Carle. City played the best football they had all game culminating in a one-two with strikers Byfield and Adebola, Byfield then flicked the ball through to Elliott, whose somewhat scuffed effort beat the keeper, but not the post, and after an awkward moment where Kisnorbo almost chested the ball into his own net the Leicester goalie claimed the ball safely in his grasp. The improved second half performance was equal to Leicester's but not better, as they had chances aplenty in the second half aswell, but Basso was equal to awkward low grasscutters and top corner strikes alike. Brian Wilson, who has filled in professionally for Bradley Orr at right back, went on a marauding run from his own half and hit a swirling shot from all of 35 yards which hit the underside of the bar and bounced out. With time running out, we could sense an undeserved victory, and the introduction of Trundle was met with cheers from the away following.

A frenetic finish saw Sproule breakaway following good hold up play by Adebola and he outpaced Clapham, who I thought was going to bring him down for a penalty, but Sproule got away and hit a powerful shot which Henderson almost dropped into his own net and out for a corner. A wasteful corner saw Leicester attack and almost score as Howard hit a goalbound effort but the inspired Basso palmed the shot away, and as the City fans chanted his name City came home with a point. I love my scarf.

Player Ratings

Basso - 10/10 Single-handedly ensured we came home with an undeserved point.

Wilson - 6/10 Battled against pacy wingers, great run and shot

McCombe - 6/10 Howard held him off with ease in the first half, improved second half

Fontaine 7/10 Played well, made some important blocks and swept up behind McCallister on countless occassions

McCallister - 5/10 Struggled with Etuhu's pace and the direct diagonal balls targeted at him.

Carle - 5/10 Worked hard defensively, but out of position and did not dictate the game like he can in behind the strikers

Elliott - 7/10 Battled all game typified by his 30 yard sprint to slide Hendrie and come away with the ball. Unlucky with his shot.

Johnson - 5/10 Not a game for Johnson this, was bypassed and could not gain possession of the ball which he needs.

McIndoe - 6/10 When going forward in the first half, he was key but not his best game.

Byfield - 6/10 Ran his socks off and was central to a lot of the good work by City.

Adebola - 5/10 Could not shake off the attentions of Bruno N'Gotty, seems to be more effective at home

Sproule - 6/10 Added a different threat and gave us impetus for brief periods. Much improved from recent weeks

Trundle - 6/10 Showed his quality on the ball out wide but not centrally, lack of pace showed because of this

Vasko - N/A Came on to add a ball winner in both areas

Somehow, we have rode our luck this season and this epitomised it. Do not rule out the importance of our hard work and determination however. Elliott is central to this and with Byfield in particular we defended with pressure from the front. A point gained, we need to come away with home wins now following good away results.

Archived