IGNORED

Watford Match

watfordlad

first of all thanks for dropping those points on sat, that will come in most useful for us..

:winner_third_h4h:

now on to the big match, here are aidys views on the game.

FEELING THE SQUEEZE!

Mon 10 Mar 2008

WATFORD manager Aidy Boothroyd was in a relaxed but focused mood as he prepared his troops for one of the biggest weeks of the season at the club's London Colney training ground.

Much like Hornets supporters everywhere, everyone in the Watford camp were watching results trickling in with added interest on Saturday afternoon - a weekend without a game of our own due to Barnsley's continued heroics in the FA Cup.

With Bristol City missing the opportunity to go six points clear at the top of the league, after drawing with Ian Holloway's struggling Leicester City, the game with the Robins starts an all-important week for the Golden Boys.

Stoke's failure to win at home, meant they crept just a point above the Hertfordshire side - and the Potters are now three games without a win.

Tuesday's fixture with Gary Johnson's Bristol City will see the pressure at the top of the league reach boiling point, but the Watford manager feels that the experience within the squad will serve his troops well.

The Yorkshireman said: "We've got ourselves to a position where we're now third in the table. It's a very, very tight league and that increases the expectancy on some and it makes other people calmer.

"I've always believed at this stage of the season that you get to see people like oranges - the tighter you squeeze them some of them tend to capitulate. Thankfully we've been here before in high pressure situations and I think that will stand us in good stead."

He may well have a point. Looking around the squad and backroom staff, people have been there before and done it. Messer's Henderson, Stewart, Doyley and DeMerit did so with the 'Orns that triumphed on that glorious day in March 2006. Nathan Ellington has won promotion before with Wigan, Leigh Bromby with Sheffield United, Mat Sadler with Birmingham, Damien Francis with Norwich - the list goes on.

And that doesn't included the knowledge that the likes of veteran Mart Poom has, or that Matt Jackson has or indeed what Boothroyd's backroom staff like Martin Hunter or Malky Mackay can pass on.

A weekend off before a big week can work either way according to the gaffer, however it does allow his men more time to prepare and also the gives the medical team space to clear up any niggling injuries.

Fortunately the Hornets look to be in good shape injury wise. Mat Sadler's 'tweaked' hamstring that forced his early exit against Norwich was more of a precaution, meaning the Brummie is fit to play.

Fitness issues still surround the midfield pair of Gareth Williams and Francis and neither will be in contention for the test in Bristol. At the back, the manager still has club captain

DeMerit itching to get back involved from the start, after his recent groin injury.

Four draws on the spin has however been frustrating for the boss. In the scheme of things, draws away at two of the teams challenging for the play offs (Charlton and Burnley) is no bad thing, but its no secret the manager was not happy with giving a late goal away at Turf Moor and even more recently surrendering a lead at home to a mid-table Norwich side.

Boothroyd isn't going to make excuses and knows that the fate of his side lays in his and the hands of his squad.

He added: "I've never known a game like the Preston one; statistically it's harder with the stats we have not to score. Against Burnley we didn't play particularly well in stages, but played well enough to win. At 2-1 up with 81 minutes gone it should have been game over.

"Then the other night [Norwich] we could have been out of sight by half time and I don't say that lightly.

"But if you don't take your chances and if you don't defend correctly there's always a chance that someone like Jamie Cureton will whack it in from 25 yards, he's that type of player.

"We only have ourselves to pat on the back or blame. We take responsibility, what we are becoming is difficult to beat again and that's what you want when you come to the last 10 games.

"Because we have got players who will score goals, we've talked in detail about it. I'm delighted to say that the players had a meeting on their own after the Norwich game, we know where we're going and what we're doing. I think we're in a strong position."

The responsibility felt by the men who pull on the jersey shouldn't be underestimated.

At Vicarage Road it isn't shirked or dodged - that's the message that comes from the top. Watford's own supporters will say they're well paid professionals and they have a duty to perform for Watford and take responsibility. Rightly so - and the squad know their future is in their hands - it's up to them to make sure they don't let it slip or drift away from them.

Boothroyd commented: "Everybody at Watford's accountable. We set that up from day one - you're expected to do certain things and fulfill certain criteria, if you fall below those standards you've got a good chance of coming out of the team and somebeody else coming in.

"I'm delighted to say that the players are now leading that, we want to win every single game and we all know that we've got the talent; technically, tactically and physically, and we've got the experience to go and win games. We're a little bit disappointed that we didn't do that against Norwich."

As for Bristol City they're riding a crest of a wave at the moment and clearly haven't lost their momentum from their promotion winning success last campaign. A confident side that has only lost two at home all season long, the Hornets will need to bring their best away form with them once more.

So what does Watford's boss think of the opposition and of his equivalent number at City?

"I think Gary's done a great job down there. I remember back in August when we beat Southampton and he was at the game doing Sky coverage.

"He came in the press conference and waited right until the end, listened to what I had to say and then said 'Do you think Bristol City will be a threat this year?' and I said to him, word for word, 'Bristol City are as big a threat as everybody else' and everybody laughed and Gary laughed.

"I have a great deal of respect for him because he's turned that club around. There had been people there who had made it what it was and they'd had a lot of people come through the youth policy.

"Then Gary's comes in, he does things his own way and has changed things round. The team had a bad start under his tenure but he managed to turn it around and get promotion, obviously he's pushing again. The momentum is with them and he's bought wisely, he's up there with the resources he's got for manager of the year in my opinion."

Tuesday night is only part one, with Stoke coming to Vicarage Road on Saturday it will ensure a big week for everyone connected with the club. Hold on tight.

-------------------------------------

so there we have it, it should be a good game, but it will come down to us takin the chances when they come along.

we do at times lack the killer touch, but away record is very good.

so then its a away win for me, aidy has the touch when it comes to big games like this.

BEEN THERE, SEEN IT, DONE IT. unlike you.

enjoy wembley way.....

:drunk2::clap: :goingup: :winner_third_h4h::mafia::fingerscrossed::clapping::englandsmile4wf::sub: :sub:

first of all thanks for dropping those points on sat, that will come in most useful for us..

FEELING THE SQUEEZE!

Mon 10 Mar 2008

WATFORD manager Aidy Boothroyd was in a relaxed but focused mood as he prepared his troops for one of the biggest weeks of the season at the club's London Colney training ground.

Much like Hornets supporters everywhere, everyone in the Watford camp were watching results trickling in with added interest on Saturday afternoon - a weekend without a game of our own due to Barnsley's continued heroics in the FA Cup.

With Bristol City missing the opportunity to go six points clear at the top of the league, after drawing with Ian Holloway's struggling Leicester City, the game with the Robins starts an all-important week for the Golden Boys.

Stoke's failure to win at home, meant they crept just a point above the Hertfordshire side - and the Potters are now three games without a win.

Tuesday's fixture with Gary Johnson's Bristol City will see the pressure at the top of the league reach boiling point, but the Watford manager feels that the experience within the squad will serve his troops well.

The Yorkshireman said: "We've got ourselves to a position where we're now third in the table. It's a very, very tight league and that increases the expectancy on some and it makes other people calmer.

"I've always believed at this stage of the season that you get to see people like oranges - the tighter you squeeze them some of them tend to capitulate. Thankfully we've been here before in high pressure situations and I think that will stand us in good stead."

He may well have a point. Looking around the squad and backroom staff, people have been there before and done it. Messer's Henderson, Stewart, Doyley and DeMerit did so with the 'Orns that triumphed on that glorious day in March 2006. Nathan Ellington has won promotion before with Wigan, Leigh Bromby with Sheffield United, Mat Sadler with Birmingham, Damien Francis with Norwich - the list goes on.

And that doesn't included the knowledge that the likes of veteran Mart Poom has, or that Matt Jackson has or indeed what Boothroyd's backroom staff like Martin Hunter or Malky Mackay can pass on.

A weekend off before a big week can work either way according to the gaffer, however it does allow his men more time to prepare and also the gives the medical team space to clear up any niggling injuries.

Fortunately the Hornets look to be in good shape injury wise. Mat Sadler's 'tweaked' hamstring that forced his early exit against Norwich was more of a precaution, meaning the Brummie is fit to play.

Fitness issues still surround the midfield pair of Gareth Williams and Francis and neither will be in contention for the test in Bristol. At the back, the manager still has club captain

DeMerit itching to get back involved from the start, after his recent groin injury.

Four draws on the spin has however been frustrating for the boss. In the scheme of things, draws away at two of the teams challenging for the play offs (Charlton and Burnley) is no bad thing, but its no secret the manager was not happy with giving a late goal away at Turf Moor and even more recently surrendering a lead at home to a mid-table Norwich side.

Boothroyd isn't going to make excuses and knows that the fate of his side lays in his and the hands of his squad.

He added: "I've never known a game like the Preston one; statistically it's harder with the stats we have not to score. Against Burnley we didn't play particularly well in stages, but played well enough to win. At 2-1 up with 81 minutes gone it should have been game over.

"Then the other night [Norwich] we could have been out of sight by half time and I don't say that lightly.

"But if you don't take your chances and if you don't defend correctly there's always a chance that someone like Jamie Cureton will whack it in from 25 yards, he's that type of player.

"We only have ourselves to pat on the back or blame. We take responsibility, what we are becoming is difficult to beat again and that's what you want when you come to the last 10 games.

"Because we have got players who will score goals, we've talked in detail about it. I'm delighted to say that the players had a meeting on their own after the Norwich game, we know where we're going and what we're doing. I think we're in a strong position."

The responsibility felt by the men who pull on the jersey shouldn't be underestimated.

At Vicarage Road it isn't shirked or dodged - that's the message that comes from the top. Watford's own supporters will say they're well paid professionals and they have a duty to perform for Watford and take responsibility. Rightly so - and the squad know their future is in their hands - it's up to them to make sure they don't let it slip or drift away from them.

Boothroyd commented: "Everybody at Watford's accountable. We set that up from day one - you're expected to do certain things and fulfill certain criteria, if you fall below those standards you've got a good chance of coming out of the team and somebeody else coming in.

"I'm delighted to say that the players are now leading that, we want to win every single game and we all know that we've got the talent; technically, tactically and physically, and we've got the experience to go and win games. We're a little bit disappointed that we didn't do that against Norwich."

As for Bristol City they're riding a crest of a wave at the moment and clearly haven't lost their momentum from their promotion winning success last campaign. A confident side that has only lost two at home all season long, the Hornets will need to bring their best away form with them once more.

So what does Watford's boss think of the opposition and of his equivalent number at City?

"I think Gary's done a great job down there. I remember back in August when we beat Southampton and he was at the game doing Sky coverage.

"He came in the press conference and waited right until the end, listened to what I had to say and then said 'Do you think Bristol City will be a threat this year?' and I said to him, word for word, 'Bristol City are as big a threat as everybody else' and everybody laughed and Gary laughed.

"I have a great deal of respect for him because he's turned that club around. There had been people there who had made it what it was and they'd had a lot of people come through the youth policy.

"Then Gary's comes in, he does things his own way and has changed things round. The team had a bad start under his tenure but he managed to turn it around and get promotion, obviously he's pushing again. The momentum is with them and he's bought wisely, he's up there with the resources he's got for manager of the year in my opinion."

Tuesday night is only part one, with Stoke coming to Vicarage Road on Saturday it will ensure a big week for everyone connected with the club. Hold on tight.

so there we have it, it should be a good game, but it will come down to us takin the chances when they come along.

so then its a away win for me, aidy has the touch when it comes to big games like this.

enjoy wembley way.....

:drunk2::clap: :goingup: :winner_third_h4h::mafia::fingerscrossed::clapping::englandsmile4wf::sub: :sub:

And we care what you say because.......?

People like you at Watford seem to think we haven't been there and done it all before. In fact, most of this squad got promotion last year so they know exactly what's required of them this time round. We've bought well with Adebola having experience of a promotion at Birmingham and McIndoe was in this position last season with Wolves so to count us out on that front would be foolish.

That article mentions about momentum and ours has been building for over a year now. Tomorrow's game will be tough and I predict a draw but we're more than capable of taking the points off you boys, as we proved at Vicarage Road in October. Don't say you haven't been warned.

FEELING THE SQUEEZE!

Mon 10 Mar 2008

enjoy wembley way.....

can't wait for you lot to come down, although i'm not sure i'll be able to watch most of the game as i've got a stiff neck, Watford and hoofball...great

Thanks for dropping points in all of your last four matches which has allowed us to be four points ahead of you! :clap::clap:

Enjoy your visit to Ashton Gate, oh and Plymouth and Hull and West Brom. Still I expect your excellent home record will see you through. :laugh:

enjoy wembley way.....

I find that comment slightly idiotic and after an otherwise decent post, you lost any credibility with that.

It doesn't matter what league you're trying to get out of; the experience of seeing a league campaign out and winning promotion is absolutely huge. The experience of going into the last dozen games or so challenging at the top and coming through it successfully is irreplaceable and invaluable when you find yourselves in that position again. A couple of years ago, Watford did that with Aidy in charge and they will have gained and learnt a lot from that. The manager, the staff and the players that remain from that season will remember doing it in the big games and that's massively important in my opinion.

The thing is, we also have that experience fresh in our minds from less than 12 months ago. In truth, our club is still flying from that success. We know exactly what's needed and how to do it. This club is so ridiculously focused on achieving promotion I don't think any of the other big clubs in the Championship would quite believe it. We're not here to make up the numbers anymore or just enjoy the ride, we're here to make progress and win things. This club has had a taste and it wants more.

The simple fact is; if Boothroyd wins anywhere near as many promotions in his career as Johnson has won already, he'd have done pretty well.

This group of players know what it's all about and how to gain promotion.

You expect. But we believe.

enjoy wembley way.....

I think you, your manager and the author of your predictable and boring article are all forgetting that rather than just having a few faces in the squad that can cope with pressure, our entire squad knows all about winning automatic promotion. Plus all the players we brought in in the summer bar Sproule have won promotions before.

Whatever happens tomorrow night (and the wet weather and gale force winds do worry me because they will suit your long ball shite) we will be above you on Wednesday.

Keep clutching at those straws.

enjoy wembley way.....

First off, we should be thanking you for the dropped points, as with FOUR DRAWS IN A ROW (Charlton, Preston, Burnley and Norwich) you've the ones in a patch of dodgy form.

And although you might be right about the taking of chances (our forwards are not as clinical as your own) I'd suggest that our squad's experience of fending off the casing pack in a promotion race this time last year (see Yeovil, Forest and Carlisle United) trumps your squad's record of choking the big games and getting relegated last year (and I submit your defeats to Boro and Sheffield U and draw with Man City as evidence for this).

I have no malice against Watford (and even predict a hard fought draw) and "unlike you" I think the majority of City fans (as well as our gaffer) will be level headed and prepared for the game.

And don't forget; if we beat/draw with you tomorrow to have a little peak over your shoulder. I'm sure you will see the likes of Hull, Ipswich, Charlton, Plymouth and Palace giving you big toothy grins. They'll be happy to take that play off place from you over the following 9 games...

never make my mind up with Watford?

plastic cockney's? or just a small town near Luton?

as for Nathan Ellington, has never enjoyed playing at Ashton Gate and I don't think he'll enjoy it tomorrow either.

never can make mind mind up with city?

such a " big " club, but all those years doing nothing at all??

or just a small club in bristol?

What ever happens tomorrow night, we are not top because of flukes. Yes, it will be pressure cooker tight and the atmosphere should be electric, but no matter what, we have achieved wonders this season.

We have tough games coming up, but as my Cardiff City mate said, on their day, anyone can beat anyone on their day, so tomorrow night is an unknown.

I just hope it's a cracking game.

MM

What ever happens tomorrow night, we are not top because of flukes. Yes, it will be pressure cooker tight and the atmosphere should be electric, but no matter what, we have achieved wonders this season.

We have tough games coming up, but as my Cardiff City mate said, on their day, anyone can beat anyone on their day, so tomorrow night is an unknown.

I just hope it's a cracking game.

MM

spot on

so out, not bad seeing how the west country is almost cut off from the rest of us normal folk.

:laugh::laugh::laugh: that is good.....

How are cockneh's 'normal folk'

Ahhh watford.... smallest team in and around london.

EDIT support, it depends on how loud your cockney accents are, as i think our fans will just blank you out with our 'west country' accent which will drive the city lads to a 3-1 win

Guest DrFaustus
never can make mind mind up with city?

such a " big " club, but all those years doing nothing at all??

or just a small club in bristol?

F*cking home counties, patronising geek.

City are where they are because they deserve to be and have in midget Johnson, the man who should be named manger of the season regardless of whether they get promoted. For someone from the arsehole of the world (apologies to any other south-east posters) to go on to a rivals messgeboard and be so myopic, parochial and downright stupid, is an insult.

Run along to your over-priced suburban semi and leave us 'backwater' types to discuss the football and the price of red diesel and tractor parts, you turnip.

City are where they are because they deserve to be and have in midget Johnson, the man who should be named manger of the season regardless of whether they get promoted. For someone from the arsehole of the world (apologies to any other south-east posters) to go on to a rivals messgeboard and be so myopic, parochial and downright stupid, is an insult.

Run along to your over-priced suburban semi and leave us 'backwater' types to discuss the football and the price of red diesel and tractor parts, you turnip.

:clapping::clap::rofl2br:

easy tiger. :winner_third_h4h:

head_up_your_ass.jpg

:clap::clap::clap::clapping:

Sure you're not a cider red, Doc?

Fair play for that comment, Sir.

Guest DrFaustus
:clap::clap::clap::clapping:

Sure you're not a cider red, Doc?

Fair play for that comment, Sir.

Never, but facts are facts and I cannot stand the all too prevalent metropolitan and home counties patronising attitudes towards our great city of Bristol.

Never, but facts are facts and I cannot stand the all too prevalent metropolitan and home counties patronising attitudes towards our great city of Bristol.

:winner_third_h4h::englandsmile4wf:

Fair play to you Sir. How someone from watford can even judge Bristol, is a joke.

You do the saghead side proud, good Doc.

Dr,

You are a credit, principles come before anything else and that must be respected whatever colour runs through your blood be it Red or in your case Blue(Sh!t).

Brilliant Doctor.

Having worked over in Radlett for a week I can confirm that there are nice areas near Watford but the town itself isn't!

Really nervous about tomorrow now. I really hope we can turn it on but a draw wouldn't be the end of the world.

Never thought I'd say this but, Dr I almost (I did say almost) like you! :laugh:

Archived