IGNORED

Lee Johnson

Belfastcityfan

The Mirror did a wee snipit on Lee and his chance to become the first player to win promotions from the Com throu to the Prem should we get promoted this year.

It was interesting to hear his good points and bad points of having his dad as the manager. One being that he can get made the scapegoat when we lose!

He shows great professionalism when you consider the abuse he recieves on this forum, and at abuse hurled at him most weeks at the Gate.

Keep up the good work Lee, hope you grab a goal for us tonight!!

U REDS

Guest Garfunkle
He shows great professionalism when you consider the abuse he recieves on this forum, and at abuse hurled at him most weeks at the Gate.

hes a professional footballer, professionalism comes with the £100k+ a year wage

hes a professional footballer, professionalism comes with the £100k+ a year wage

Professionalism comes from the way you carry yourself, not by what you earn.

Look how many players, at various clubs, over the years earn megabucks and couldn't tell you the meaning of the word professionalism never mind know how to dislay it.

LJ is a very gifted player who comes in for unjustified flack and has always demonstrated great composure and dignity - long may he grace the red shirt.

I guess he has and the stats must back up his being first name on the sheet every game but when was the last time you have been honestly able to say

"LJ took hold of midfield and really ran that game"

Quite alot recently!

nope not true.

wages don't drive success/professionalism (whatever), it's the other way around. its just one thing in a long line of requisites including talent, dedication, passion, empathy, single mindedness, belief, good fortune, stamina, resilience, tenacity and strength (mental and physical). You don't have all of these in abundance? Well you won't be a successful professional footballer.

Even though they seem the same as you and me, modern footballers are pretty well superhumans, the cream of the crop, who are the visible tip of a huge mountain of thousands on thousands of disappointed disappeared hopefuls.

In my opinion, they deserve their money. And anyhow £100k a year is not a lot these days although I think its more like £200-300k now we are in championship.

nope not true.

wages don't drive success/professionalism (whatever), it's the other way around. its just one thing in a long line of requisites including talent, dedication, passion, empathy, single mindedness, belief, good fortune, stamina, resilience, tenacity and strength (mental and physical). You don't have all of these in abundance? Well you won't be a successful professional footballer.

In LJ's case all those things count for a lot. Certainly more than feet and inches! I still do a double take and think the mascot's stayed on the pitch sometimes....

I guess he has and the stats must back up his being first name on the sheet every game but when was the last time you have been honestly able to say

"LJ took hold of midfield and really ran that game"

um thats hard every game recently ripped hes been in team of week quite alot recently

Guest Garfunkle
nope not true.

Even though they seem the same as you and me, modern footballers are pretty well superhumans, the cream of the crop, who are the visible tip of a huge mountain of thousands on thousands of disappointed disappeared hopefuls.

In my opinion, they deserve their money. And anyhow £100k a year is not a lot these days although I think its more like £200-300k now we are in championship.

if you are a professional you are paid to act professionally. he should not be singled out for praise for doing his job. that was my point

well thought-out response. can we have an age/maturity level that has to be reached before people can post

Quite right too Garfunkle. Anyone with age and/or maturity would know that in Lee's case the correct response is shortarse!

Guest MaloneFM

Well I think that Wayne Rooney is a lovely chap and never has a bad word to say about any official. He is like Cary Grant in a red shirt.

And as for the dogs abuse wee Lee gets well it doesn't come from any of the chaps in the gantry.

We save it for bastard Bradley Orr!

Guest Garfunkle
I wouldn't do that if I were you, you'd fail miserably. My reply was as lucid and as comprehensive as yours.

"hes a professional footballer, professionalism comes with the £100k+ a year wage "

compared to

"arse"

hmmmm

"hes a professional footballer, professionalism comes with the £100k+ a year wage "

compared to

"arse"

hmmmm

Firstly you have no idea how much his "wage" is.

Secondly, there is no correlation between wage levels and professionalism. This would imply that, say, a cleaner who might be on the minimum wage could not be professional in their work, or that Lord Black was very professional in his dealings given his income.

Thirdly, I felt like saying it so I can hide behind the "this is an internet forum and it's my opinion so therefore I can't be wrong" argument.

maybe thats what its like where you come from. what business is it of yours

Open forum!! anyways there are many players who are on a big wage who are unproffesional....

Basically what your saying is, when we won promotion none of us should have celebrated and praised the players, because afterall, as you pointed out, the players & co were doing what they are paid to do??

Guest Garfunkle
Open forum!! anyways there are many players who are on a big wage who are unproffesional....

Basically what your saying is, when we won promotion none of us should have celebrated and praised the players, because afterall, as you pointed out, the players & co were doing what they are paid to do??

no that is not what i am saying. the initial poster pointed out that:

"He shows great professionalism when you consider the abuse he recieves on this forum, and at abuse hurled at him most weeks at the Gate"

my point is that he is paid x amount of cash to be a professional footballer and one of teh downsides is that he will be criticised. he shouldnt be praised for handling it well. that is his job.

if he plays well or we win promotion then he should be praised as that is 'going beyond' what he is paid to do.

praising a professional for acting professionally isnt necessary in my opinion

no that is not what i am saying. the initial poster pointed out that:

"He shows great professionalism when you consider the abuse he recieves on this forum, and at abuse hurled at him most weeks at the Gate"

my point is that he is paid x amount of cash to be a professional footballer and one of teh downsides is that he will be criticised. he shouldnt be praised for handling it well. that is his job.

if he plays well or we win promotion then he should be praised as that is 'going beyond' what he is paid to do.

praising a professional for acting professionally isnt necessary in my opinion

Surely he's being paid for playing football, not handling criticism from people who can't tell their arse from their elbow?

Cheese, its both I am afraid in the modern game - I liked your four letter answer as it summed up my initial reaction however Garfunkel, seems you had a valid point but expressed it poorly. Johnson is class and we will only realise that when he's gone.

We're all in the right, in a jesus loves you all funny kinda way, so lets kiss make up and roar City through the biggest game (again) in 28 years or something.

COYR - just over 2 hours and counting.

ps. I personally think an income test, IQ test and at least 250 old ticket stubs before you are allowed to post. Any under 18s need to go and see Uncle Roger for an interview and personal going over before they get their license to participate. Not a nice prospect but should have the desired effect..

Archived