IGNORED

3 Points From 3 Games! Not Promotion Stuff!

Jags11

Our defence this season has taken all the plaudits but look at the goals for in all ten teams below us in the league. ( We have least except for one team) Last night the wind did not help us but we lacked cleverness to make it pay in certain instances.

What would we be without Basso the man deserves the best rewards he can get from his fantastic football career!

The largest Gate crowd turned up last night to see 'The Cup Final' and we did see a fighting City but the same as the last few home games!

We have a good team but while holding other teams we are not damaging our opponents and they share the points as well.

Another draw against Plymouth would give us 4 points from 4 games and it is clear that something new must happen up front in the strikers area if we are to maintain our lead at the top of the table?

Fantastic we are still top of the league but goals will win the day in the end!

How are all these other Championship teams getting premier strikers on loan now to help there positions?

Concerned

Our defence this season has taken all the plaudits but look at the goals for in all ten teams below us in the league. ( We have least except for one team) Last night the wind did not help us but we lacked cleverness to make it pay in certain instances.

What would we be without Basso the man deserves the best rewards he can get from his fantastic football career!

The largest Gate crowd turned up last night to see 'The Cup Final' and we did see a fighting City but the same as the last few home games!

We have a good team but while holding other teams we are not damaging our opponents and they share the points as well.

Another draw against Plymouth would give us 4 points from 4 games and it is clear that something new must happen up front in the strikers area if we are to maintain our lead at the top of the table?

How are all these other Championship teams getting premier strikers on loan now to help there positions?

Concerned

No panic. Only points from 3 but two away from home and two against promotion chasing opposition. May not be ideal but we still have the best points per game ratio of anyone and are top of the league on merit. We also have 3 games fewer between now and the end of the season.

Watford play Stoke on Saturday and I believe they still have West Brom to play too.

I agree we're not scoring enough goals - our goals scored/goal difference is testament to that.

But hey? We're TOP OF THE LEAGUE and we haven't done too bad on it for 83% of the season, so who's to say it's not going to last us another 17%?

While our inability to kill off teams may be a worry, let's not let it get in the way of the fantastic season we've had and the REAL POSSIBILITY OF SEEING PREMIERSHIP FOOTBALL NEXT SEASON.

Enjoy it while it lasts...

Also, three points adds up to one of the 'wins' GJ wants between now and the end of the season. Although not technically a win, it leaves us with five wins to get from our remaining games.

And as has been said, two were away from home and last night was a team just below us...

Concerned

but its not "clear" something needs to happen at all, is it? we're top of the league and will be that way unless WBA win three games in hand.

city fans for the last 3 seasons have typed thousands of words on the internet and talked thousands of words in pubs saying "weneedastrikerweneedastrikerifwedontgetastrikerwewontmakeitweneedastriker2, etc etc... well turns out there's only 8 games left, 5 of those at are home, and we appear to be top.

We don't need to spend millions on a striker now or get in an expensive disruptive loanee - we just need to keep picking up points like we have all season, and we go up. Simple.

I agree.

Over the last 3 games On a Game by Game basis, each result was a good one, but we NEEDED to win one of the 3 and if we are true contendors for promotion we should have won one of those games.

That said we are still top of the league.....just....but how long it will continue for....who knows, but one thing for sure is, Plymouth on Saturday is now a MUST WIN game.

• SC&T Board Members

Don't panic! It's still 3 points, and now 8 games unbeaten.

At this stage of the season having points on the board is better than games in hand.

As long as we remain 1 point ahead of the team in 3rd we can all be very happy!

I agree.

Over the last 3 games On a Game by Game basis, each result was a good one, but we NEEDED to win one of the 3 and if we are true contendors for promotion we should have won one of those games.

That said we are still top of the league.....just....but how long it will continue for....who knows, but one thing for sure is, Plymouth on Saturday is now a MUST WIN game.

but thats not true!!!? we NEEDED to remain in an automatic promotion slot after three very difficult games.

And we did.

job done!

I agree.

in fact, i disagree with this so much i'm going to argue twice!

"true contenders for promotion"?? how the hell can a team top of the league by rights with just 8 games to go (5 at home) not be true contenders for promotion? throughout this season (and last in fact) some people insist we're in a false position, and usually because we don't have a 20 goal a season striker... but there are EIGHT GAMES TO GO AND WE ARE TOP.

It really is very very simple to understand: we're contenders, and we pick up points at same rate we have all season, and we go up. bosh!

I agree.

IMO this is absolutly right and i am now worried about our chance of automatic promotion. The draw at Charlton and the draw last night are great results if we had beaten Leicester. Our failure to win at Leicester means we have lost a great opportunity to open a gap at the top. We will not go the rest of the season unbeaten so we needed more than 3 points from these games and the win should have come at Leicester. Over the same period Stoke have lost one, drawn one and won one and reduced our lead to 1 point.

Victory Saturday is a must and this is a difficult game Plymouth may have lost last night but have been in great form. Its a local derby as well.

We were thinking about the 3 points from the last 3 games last night aswell. We decided that it was better, confidence wise, to have 3 draws rather than a win and 2 losses psychologically.

Goalscoring, as far as a regular front 2 partnership, has obviously been a problem for a while now, and isn't going to suddenly happen with only a handful of games left. Suppose I look at West Brom with envy that everything they touch seem to involve 3 or 4 (or 5 :dancing6: ) goals a game. But we aren't West Brom and we aren't doing too bad either!

in fact, i disagree with this so much i'm going to argue twice!

"true contenders for promotion"?? how the hell can a team top of the league by rights with just 8 games to go (5 at home) not be true contenders for promotion? throughout this season (and last in fact) some people insist we're in a false position, and usually because we don't have a 20 goal a season striker... but there are EIGHT GAMES TO GO AND WE ARE TOP.

It really is very very simple to understand: we're contenders, and we pick up points at same rate we have all season, and we go up. bosh!

4 @ home, 4 away, but that's beside the point.

it's not that we are in a false position and to be honest it doesn't matter where we are with 8 games to go, it's on the last day that counts, I just feel that we really needed to win one of those 3 games to try and put a bit of a gap between us and the other teams, yes we are still top after the last 3 games and yes we have the points on the board, but.....and as always it is a but, West Brom are now 6 points behind us with 3 games in hand, they only need to win 2 of them to go back to the top starting with Palace tonight.

Now fair enough there is 2 promotion places, but Stoke are only a point behind us and watford are still hot on our heals with a game in hand, obviously it's always better to have the points on the board, but I'd be ALOT happier if we had picked up a win from those games.

It's just looking at the run-in.......I'm concerned and with 8 games to go, the top 4 teams regardless of their position now.......are too close to call.

on a side note, I don't think we need another forward......if anything I'd just be happy with Brooker coming back.

4 @ home, 4 away, but that's beside the point.

it's not that we are in a false position and to be honest it doesn't matter where we are with 8 games to go, it's on the last day that counts, I just feel that we really needed to win one of those 3 games to try and put a bit of a gap between us and the other teams, yes we are still top after the last 3 games and yes we have the points on the board, but.....and as always it is a but, West Brom are now 6 points behind us with 3 games in hand, they only need to win 2 of them to go back to the top starting with Palace tonight.

Now fair enough there is 2 promotion places, but Stoke are only a point behind us and watford are still hot on our heals with a game in hand, obviously it's always better to have the points on the board, but I'd be ALOT happier if we had picked up a win from those games.

It's just looking at the run-in.......I'm concerned and with 8 games to go, the top 4 teams regardless of their position now.......are too close to call.

on a side note, I don't think we need another forward......if anything I'd just be happy with Brooker coming back.

oh yeah, 4 home 4 away. nevermind

i'd be a lot happier if we won too. but we didnt. but we're still top. WBA are7 points behind though i thought? if they lose tonight - we're top by rights with no concerns on game in hand, and we have 8 to go....

Guest Eamer

I was thinking this last night. I realise two of the last three were away games and the other was against a team who're right up there with us but 3 points from 3 games isn't enough at this stage. People might say we haven't lost any games but 3 points are as good as one win and two losses which isn't promotion form. Two of the games were away but they were both against teams we should be able to get 3 points against. I'm happy we're in the position we are but we need to start getting 3 points in one game rather than in 3 games.

Come on City!

Three draws on the bounce is one way of looking at it. Another would be 16 points from the last 8 games, unbeaten and top of the league with only 8 to play. I suppose it's all about how you want to see things?

Completely agree with your analysis Ernie. Using Gary's blocks of 10 games we must be the most consistent team in the division. 17 points from each of the first three blocks of ten and now 16 points from the first 8 games in the next block. Hopefully we'll do better than 17 for this ten ;)

So many parallels with last season. I view the Plymouth game as the equivalent of Yeovil last year. Will happily take the same result.

I was thinking this last night. I realise two of the last three were away games and the other was against a team who're right up there with us but 3 points from 3 games isn't enough at this stage. People might say we haven't lost any games but 3 points are as good as one win and two losses which isn't promotion form. Two of the games were away but they were both against teams we should be able to get 3 points against. I'm happy we're in the position we are but we need to start getting 3 points in one game rather than in 3 games.

Come on City!

it is enough, as we're still in an automatic place! this is easy to understand, surely?!

This question will be answered at the end of the season. If City miss out by a couple of points to teams like Watford, then you can look back and agree a point was not enough.

Still a long way to go.

oh yeah, 4 home 4 away. nevermind

i'd be a lot happier if we won too. but we didnt. but we're still top. WBA are7 points behind though i thought? if they lose tonight - we're top by rights with no concerns on game in hand, and we have 8 to go....

west brom are 6 points behind.

1 Bristol City 38 3 67

2 Stoke .........38 12 66

3 Watford 37 14 63

4 West Brom ...35 29 61

if they win 2 out of 3 they go top., with watford and stoke both breathing down our necks it's going to be VERY tough,

we can't afford to lose any games,

Guest red ken 2

IMO i would always play two up front, just don't see how the one lone striker works out. Perhaps its time to get SB back from Cheltenham, nothing to lose on that one.

well firstly lets get it straight it is promotion stuff we're top, but i agree about the lack of goals but then it's the same team who has got us here. Plymouth are flying high too althoguh lost their last game and with this next game coming close to a sell out :fingerscrossed: think we'll dig out a 1-0.

i quite agree with Brooker though a few of his goals sound like tap ins.....yet thats just what city need and maybe a few more midfielders than just the Elliot(although Johnson had a few tries before going off).

IMO i would always play two up front, just don't see how the one lone striker works out. Perhaps its time to get SB back from Cheltenham, nothing to lose on that one.

Playing 2 up front hasn't worked for us - with the players we have.

4-5-1 gives control of the midfield allowing us the chance to dictate and play our passing game.

4-4-2 (in the Championship) has seen us not able to dominate the midfield and put us under pressure. Leicester away was a typical case - we went 4-4-2 and they got on top early and we were on the back foot all afternoon. although Byfield (and LT when he came on) was up front with Dele he didn't get much service and didn't get any chances.

The downside of 4-5-1 is that we create few chances - but by keeping it tight one goal has often beeen enough.

At this stage of the season nobody is going to slaughter anyone by 3 or 4 goals.

To those complaining about the 3 draws, Watford have drawn the last 5, Stoke drew their last home game aa have WBA tonight. It happens.

Lets nick it on Saturday 1-0 and sit back while Watford and Stoke kick each other to pieces - a couple of red cards and a Henderson "tackle" on Fuller would be nice!

CR

Archived