IGNORED

Soutahmpton Away By Rail

Chappers

Does anybody know if City, the Old Bill, or maybe even the Supporters Trust have approached Worst Great Western regarding the likely number of City fans travelling by train? Normally on that line on a Saturday, it is 2 car sardine cans, and even without football supporters they get uncomfortably crowded. Logic says to put 6/8 coaches on all trains that day, but where Privatised Railways are concerned, logic is non-existant, and they'll probably blame passengers for actually wanting to use trains!

Guest Dave Youell

This is First Great Western we are talking about here, you should count yourself lucky if the 2 carriages even arrive, let alone another 4 on top!

You remember were football fans right? Being forced around like cattle is someone the police do to football fans because they can.

Do you honestly think avon and somerset police would care if we are all crammed into the train and it being over full? Of course they don't.

Your talking like we have human rights as football fans.

most people who are going by train will have already booked their train tickets (i have booked 7, plus know another 6 who are goingso they should know already how many people to expect, no doubt a higher amount of people will have booked tickets than normal for that route on a saturday so hopefully an alarm bell will already been ringing to say.

thankfully I'm coming back on the sunday so it should be quieter then.

I know we'll be in conditions worse than those permitted for animal transport, I am just looking at actually having a small space to stand in, and not being left behind. As for over-crowding, our pathetic Elf n Safety brigade can stop pancake races as being too risky, but see nothing wrong in vastly over-crowded trains!

I am hoping that the right people are aware of the potential problem, but if not, it needs somebody like the Supporters Trust use their contacts to warn both City and the Police, as they won't listen to individuals. That way, Worst Great Western cannot plead ignorance, and may have no choice but to take action, to minimise possible Public Order problems at Temple Meads, Southampton and stations en route.

most people who are going by train will have already booked their train tickets (i have booked 7, plus know another 6 who are goingso they should know already how many people to expect, no doubt a higher amount of people will have booked tickets than normal for that route on a saturday so hopefully an alarm bell will already been ringing to say.
This is Worst Great Western we are talking about! Probably the most useless and clueless of the woeful Train Operating Companies! They could go to a campanologists convention and still miss the sound of ringing bells!

I read in the EP (sorry!) the other week that FGW only has six carriages running the whole route. That doesn't surprise me because coming back to BTM on a Friday from 4pm onwards you'd always be packed in like sardines. And that NEVER changed under any circumstances.

For those of us going by train, what time's everyone getting down? We're on the 8.22am from BTM, gets in bang on 10am.

I remember seeing somewhere that the Cardiff - Portsmouth Harbour route is one of FGW's most profitable routes. It's an extremely popular route yet they usually put on two carriages as people have already said!

I used to get it regularly and in my experience on Saturday mornings they put on 5-6 carriages as opposed to the two on a Friday afternoon.

I'm getting the 7am from Filton but will may on the day, as will many others I'm sure as it's only £16 return with a railcard.

Archived