IGNORED

A Tribute To Sir Louis Carey

Sargent Pepper

With Louis due to make his 500th apperance in a City shirt tomorrow vs' Plymouth I think it would be apt to have a thread for people to pay tribute to him and add thier own favourite Louis Carey moments. Here is a bit about him and what he has meant to me .....

Louis grew up just down the road from Ashton Gate in Headley Park and has always been a proud South Bristollian! Louis made his debut away at York City if i remember correctly after coming through the clubs youth system. I was there and i was also there for the following tuesday night AWS game away at Shrewsbury. In fact i travelled on a cats coach with his proud parents. His earlier days in the 1st team were at right back and even back then showed a good attitude to getting forward to link up with his winger. I remember speaking to another legend around that time, Brian Tinnion who rated the youngster very highly. Of course they went on to be very good friends.

Due to his local roots and the fact he grew up watching City, i always had a strong affinity with him. In fact my friends i sat amoungst in the Atyeo at that time would testifiy to this. Due to his lack of goals i would always optimisticly state that "Louis would score today..." Which was greated at first with wry smile's but probably after 20 odd games into the season and no goals probably started to become a bad joke. Luckily i was at the Vetch Field for a severnside derby when at long last Carey grabbed his first City goal. If my memory is correct he latched on to a loose ball in the box and rifiled it in on the slide. The goal was greated as always enthusiasticly by all the travelling City fans but especially in my little group who mobbed me, no doubt glad they wouldn't have to put up with my "Louis will score today..." shout any more.

Louis's first silver ware came in the 1997/98 promotion season. I remember several goals that season after a gallop down the right wing and a great ball in to either Shaun Goater or Steve Torpey to head home. It was as centre half partner to Shaun Taylor that Louis really excelled that year and was part of a core of young Bristollians at the heart of our sucsess. I remember that along side Goater, Taylor and Tinnion's huge contributions that season standing equally as importantly was Tommy Doherty and Louis Carey.

He also played at Wembley two years later in the AWS final vs' Stoke. He will probably have better memorys of our first trip to the Mllenium Stadium where he was part of the team that beat Carlise and won our first cup since 1986. Now forming a great partnership on the right with close friend Scotty Murray he faced more heartbreak in several failed play off attempts over the next few years.

Then as Danny Wilson's reign ended and Brian Tinnion was handed the hot sheet Careys City carear seemed to have ended. With his contract at a end he felt dissapointed with the new offer saying that he wasn't being offered a deal on a par with other top players due to the fact that he was a local lad and he was being taken for granted. He left for Peter Reids Coventry who were in the Championship. At this time i felt dissapointed and angry that his time at the Gate had come to an end. I felt that just when Tinnion needed his friends getting behind him he was let down by one of his closest. How much influence Louis's agent had on him at this time will remain unknown. After a sucsessfull 26 games for the sky blues Louis found himself homesick for BS3 and shortly after he made up with Tins and Lansdown and rejoined the club.

Unfortunatly he couldn't turn things round for Tins and he was replaced by Gary Johnson. The rest is history. Scoring twice in 40 full apperances in the promotion season he captined the team brilliantlly through some very difficult situations. I remember his speech in the williams on the last day and his name being chanted by fans and fellow players on board the Matthew the next morning. The feeling of at last getting back to the Championship with a local boy as captain was terrific. At the start of this season a friend of mine said that Louis could be caught out this season by the pace of the higher division. Less than 15 mins into the QPR game he and the rest of the crowd were singing "Louis, Louis, Louis..."

I suppose that the appeal of Louis for me was that he reminded of what my Dad told me of the great Geoff Merrick. Comfterble at full back or centre half, not the quickest but quick at reading the game, and good at bringing the ball out from the back, not to mention a boyhood City fan and hopefully will lead City to the top flight once again.

500 hundred games down and at only 31 many more to come. He has captined City briliantlly and is calming influence is only noticed when he's not in the team. I spent a night out on the town just after promotion with Jaimie McCombe and when i asked him who was the best player at Ashton Gate i was expecting him to say one of the most skillfull players (Nobes, LJ or Scotty), without a milli second delay he said Louis Carey!

The man is a legend and i would like to personally thank him for every thing he has done for us and to pass on to him how proud i am of him and our club.

LOUIS CAREY, 500 GAMES NOT OUT !

your thoughts and memories please........... :city:

With Louis due to make his 500th apperance in a City shirt tomorrow vs' Plymouth I think it would be apt to have a thread for people to pay tribute to him and add thier own favourite Louis Carey moments. Here is a bit about him and what he has meant to me .....

Louis grew up just down the road from Ashton Gate in Headley Park and has always been a proud South Bristollian! Louis made his debut away at York City if i remember correctly after coming through the clubs youth system. I was there and i was also there for the following tuesday night AWS game away at Shrewsbury. In fact i travelled on a cats coach with his proud parents. His earlier days in the 1st team were at right back and even back then showed a good attitude to getting forward to link up with his winger. I remember speaking to another legend around that time, Brian Tinnion who rated the youngster very highly. Of course they went on to be very good friends.

Due to his local roots and the fact he grew up watching City, i always had a strong affinity with him. In fact my friends i sat amoungst in the Atyeo at that time would testifiy to this. Due to his lack of goals i would always optimisticly state that "Louis would score today..." Which was greated at first with wry smile's but probably after 20 odd games into the season and no goals probably started to become a bad joke. Luckily i was at the Vetch Field for a severnside derby when at long last Carey grabbed his first City goal. If my memory is correct he latched on to a loose ball in the box and rifiled it in on the slide. The goal was greated as always enthusiasticly by all the travelling City fans but especially in my little group who mobbed me, no doubt glad they wouldn't have to put up with my "Louis will score today..." shout any more.

Louis's first silver ware came in the 1997/98 promotion season. I remember several goals that season after a gallop down the right wing and a great ball in to either Shaun Goater or Steve Torpey to head home. It was as centre half partner to Shaun Taylor that Louis really excelled that year and was part of a core of young Bristollians at the heart of our sucsess. I remember that along side Goater, Taylor and Tinnion's huge contributions that season standing equally as importantly was Tommy Doherty and Louis Carey.

He also played at Wembley two years later in the AWS final vs' Stoke. He will probably have better memorys of our first trip to the Mllenium Stadium where he was part of the team that beat Carlise and won our first cup since 1986. Now forming a great partnership on the right with close friend Scotty Murray he faced more heartbreak in several failed play off attempts over the next few years.

Then as Danny Wilson's reign ended and Brian Tinnion was handed the hot sheet Careys City carear seemed to have ended. With his contract at a end he felt dissapointed with the new offer saying that he wasn't being offered a deal on a par with other top players due to the fact that he was a local lad and he was being taken for granted. He left for Peter Reids Coventry who were in the Championship. At this time i felt dissapointed and angry that his time at the Gate had come to an end. I felt that just when Tinnion needed his friends getting behind him he was let down by one of his closest. How much influence Louis's agent had on him at this time will remain unknown. After a sucsessfull 26 games for the sky blues Louis found himself homesick for BS3 and shortly after he made up with Tins and Lansdown and rejoined the club.

Unfortunatly he couldn't turn things round for Tins and he was replaced by Gary Johnson. The rest is history. Scoring twice in 40 full apperances in the promotion season he captined the team brilliantlly through some very difficult situations. I remember his speech in the williams on the last day and his name being chanted by fans and fellow players on board the Matthew the next morning. The feeling of at last getting back to the Championship with a local boy as captain was terrific. At the start of this season a friend of mine said that Louis could be caught out this season by the pace of the higher division. Less than 15 mins into the QPR game he and the rest of the crowd were singing "Louis, Louis, Louis..."

I suppose that the appeal of Louis for me was that he reminded of what my Dad told me of the great Geoff Merrick. Comfterble at full back or centre half, not the quickest but quick at reading the game, and good at bringing the ball out from the back, not to mention a boyhood City fan and hopefully will lead City to the top flight once again.

500 hundred games down and at only 31 many more to come. He has captined City briliantlly and is calming influence is only noticed when he's not in the team. I spent a night out on the town just after promotion with Jaimie McCombe and when i asked him who was the best player at Ashton Gate i was expecting him to say one of the most skillfull players (Nobes, LJ or Scotty), without a milli second delay he said Louis Carey!

The man is a legend and i would like to personally thank him for every thing he has done for us and to pass on to him how proud i am of him and our club.

Superb fellow....the lad needs every City fan to salute him sat. The chap is a legend

Brilliant post, thoughts are exactly that he deserves EVERY CITY FANS respect... 500 games for the club we all love, he is city through and through and his experience, passion and leadership is a huge part of where BCFC is today.

Hmmm fave moment.... I can't really think of one, having been only a young'un since supporting the cider reds, but i think the last season was full of favorite memorys for city fans, the way he and the whole city squad was fantastic and I, along with probably every other city fan, won't forget.

I'd second thanking him for everything... he truely is a city legend in my eyes.... i can still remeber watching him as a youngun bursting runs into the box when he use to play right back... ahhh those were the days.

THANK YOU LOUIS CAREY CITY LEGEND AND WELL DONE ON 500 GAMES FOR BCFC

goal was a downward header from a corner, while we were playing in an interesting Green kit in a horrible midweek game,

just found the goal on my pc, will upload to "the site we can't mention" now

Do you remember when Swansea scored that night? I'm sure I remember their fans setting off fireworks.

Well done Louis, was many a year ago playing on the School fields and at Headley Park School also with another former player (I actually thought he was going to be the star) 500 games is a superb achievement. There are some old school pics on facebook, bought back all the memories.

goal was a downward header from a corner, while we were playing in an interesting Green kit in a horrible midweek game,

just found the goal on my pc, will upload to "the site we can't mention" now

yeah now you mention it that sounds right, i think i'm thinking of a robin hulbert goal possibly in the same game???

Forgot about the crossbar challege too, what a ledge !!!

I too was at Swansea that night to see his first goal,coming after a huge number of games without scoring! If I remember he scored again a few games later, was it at Brentford in a 4 - 1 win, or was that Tommy Doc getting his first?

Always thought Louis would have made a good striker in his earlier years. He appeared to have (and still does) great ball control skills and pace into the box. A number of times during games I hoped that he would be move up front!

I suppose the only low spot for me apart from him being sent to Coventry was the loss of concentration for the free kick winner by Stoke at Wembley!

A fantastic career to date from a really genuine guy who loves to play for the City!

Well done Louis, good luck tommorow and for the future!!!!!!!!!!! :winner_third_h4h:

This isn't a negative..but i remember when he was absolutely awful for us at right back with abysmal distribution, and when Tinnion brought in 3 centre halves so he wouldn't have to play there. Check back to the Tinnion days, i bet you slated him too.

Fair play to Carey, he's become an immense player (again). Shows what the right manager can do for the right player.

I for one would like to salute Louis!

Apart from the stupid holiday in Coventry, Louis has grown to become an inspirational leader and captain! I can't wait to see him lift the Championship trophy after the Preston game. The man is City through and through. His company on GWR leaves alot to be desired though!

Well done and thank you Louis!!!!

Archived