IGNORED

Is Elliott Fit? Why Sproule And Murray On Bench

headhunter

In the fiorst half of the season we marvelled at Elliot's energy at getting around the pitch and generally breaking up the opposition's play. Since Christmas, in my opinion, his game has gone massively downhill and at times yesterday he looked particularly 'leggy'.

Havng this conversation with someone I was reminded that Marv is carrying a knee injury and "not training during the week". For goodness sake, why are we playing someone who is unfit to this degree? Do we have no cover? Is Skuse injured because that must be the only reason for his non-inclusion yesterday? Why not recall Russell.

Our bench yesterday had no cover in the midfield area whatsoever. Is there not somone ffrom the youth squad even nudging at the door?

Why Sproule and Murray - they are the same type of player and based on form Murray deserved his chance as Sproule continues to disappoint, promising much but contributing little. Can the coaches not see that he is at his best running onto the ball played into space behind the defender. Yesterday's second half display was him picking the ball up to feet on the halfway line, invariably being muscled off the ball then when he did get away running down blind alleys into oblivion with no end product - he's no better than Junior Bent is he?? Murray [an integral part of the dressing room to quote GJ] deserves his swansong in the same way that Beckham will be ALLOWED to get his 100th cap!!

I also think Elliot hasn't been quite...himself since Xmas, not too sure why, I wonder if it's because we rushed him back from his injury and indeed still carrying it. If he's not fit, he shouldnt be playing if it jepardises the teams performance.

As for Murray, I don't understand what he has to do to get a game. Sproule hasn't lived up to his potential (although I thought he had a better game than of late yesterday) and the less said about Wilson playing as a winger the better. If GJ is worried about Murray not having the pace or skill to play at this level, how is he going to know if he won't play him! Murray is the only player of the three that will run onto the ball and run at defenders. He makes runs behind the defence, so even if he doesn't get the ball he creates space! He's more of a team player thatn Sproule too I feel, and isn't that what GJ likes in his team members?

remember when we signed elliott, alot of millwall fans on here and their board were saying that he will do well until xmas, then his form will dip.

looks like they had a point, since then he's been very inconsistent.

as for Sproule, he drifts in and out of games, sometimes he will leave you banging your head against a wall, other times he will be an utter genius, something that hibs fans also said when he signed, be interesting to see who starts at Cardiff, as Wilson proved again yesterday that he's a good right back, but average right winger.

Sproule doesn't get played in enough with us favouring the lft hand side more and I agree, play the ball into pockets of space for him to run onto.

The team for the remainder of the season must comprise of those that are superbly fit and some that have pace. When we play at pace and break teams down quickly we nearly always win and we haven't done this for a while.

I don't think Murray will get picked as others have more pace and are probaly fitter. His distribution is good, but given that he has had no run this season, 7 games to go and so much at stake, I don't think he will get in in front of Sproule or Wilson

Sproule doesn't get played in enough with us favouring the lft hand side more and I agree, play the ball into pockets of space for him to run onto.

The problem is, Sproule never makes the runs to run onto the ball! I agree this is when he is most dangerous, but he always waits for people to play it to feet on the wing. The only game i remember him running onto balls is the one (i forget who against) he and McIndoe swapped wings and McCallister played him in constantly. That was one of his best games for us, I can't believe GJ hasn't worked out thats how he needs to be played

The problem is, Sproule never makes the runs to run onto the ball! I agree this is when he is most dangerous, but he always waits for people to play it to feet on the wing. The only game i remember him running onto balls is the one (i forget who against) he and McIndoe swapped wings and McCallister played him in constantly. That was one of his best games for us, I can't believe GJ hasn't worked out thats how he needs to be played

Yes, its incredible really when you think as how he's a professional football manager, and has been so for some years now.

In the fiorst half of the season we marvelled at Elliot's energy at getting around the pitch and generally breaking up the opposition's play. Since Christmas, in my opinion, his game has gone massively downhill and at times yesterday he looked particularly 'leggy'.

Havng this conversation with someone I was reminded that Marv is carrying a knee injury and "not training during the week". For goodness sake, why are we playing someone who is unfit to this degree? Do we have no cover? Is Skuse injured because that must be the only reason for his non-inclusion yesterday? Why not recall Russell.

Our bench yesterday had no cover in the midfield area whatsoever. Is there not somone ffrom the youth squad even nudging at the door?

The team lis beginning to look jaded. Everyone is given their all, but the fact is that a we actually use a small squad of players to play in all the matches. As such some of the lads are beginning to look leggy.

"As for younger players nudging at the door" The time when City had an excellent reputation for bringing through younger pro's is over.

A combination of the clubs new approach to involving youth with the 1st team, and our league position over the past 2 seasons, clearly shows that anyone under 21/22 had either to develop extreme professionalism & patience or seriously consider their footballing options. Players like JMW, Artus, Plummer, Ribeiro and even the maturing Skuse can have all their 2007/8 City starts counted on one hand.

Obviously this will not be a critical point for many fans, when we are so close to the premiership, but a disappointing position IMHO.

On a more positive note. Lets hope the lads rally round and turn over the Bluebirds on saturday.

Archived