IGNORED

Adebola - What Does He Bring To The Side?

Sammy H

Normally I back GJ all the way, and have been impressed by his signings so far, but please can anyone see what Dele brings to the side?

He's poor in the air, slow and static.

I've been to the majority of the home games this year and the last 5 performances have not been a team who deserve to go up.

Additionally I really don't see why we signed Nick Carle. Since his arrival we have changed starting formation to suit, lacked penetration and have never really looked like scoring, apart from Marv on the edge of the box.

When you see Lita, Bothroyd etc moving and we sign Adebola who, if you speak to Cov fans, was finished years ago.

Bring back Brooker!!!!! A 70% fit SB is better that what we've got at the moment!!!!

Normally I back GJ all the way, and have been impressed by his signings so far, but please can anyone see what Dele brings to the side?

I've been to the majority of the home games this year and the last 5 performances have not been a team who deserve to go up.

Additionally I really don't see why we signed Nick Carle. Since his arrival we have changed starting formation to suit, lacked penetration and have never really looked like scoring, apart from Marv on the edge of the box.

When you see Lita, Bothroyd etc moving and we sign Adebola who, if you speak to Cov fans, was finished years ago.

Bring back Brooker!!!!! A 70% fit SB is better that what we've got at the moment!!!!

So the team, in your opinion, isn't good enough to go up and its Dele's and Carle's fault?

Dele has been a big signing for us, and one of the players, IMO, that gave us the catalyst to get to the summit. 3 goals and involved in several more. A decent return so far.

I have to agree with the original post 110%, since the signing of big dele, we have definitely changed our football style, and it has changed for the worse. We over rely on long balls up to adebola...which would make sense if he dominated in the air and won things, but he doesn't, and when he does there is the next problem of being no one around him to pick up the ball.

I think it says it all really when we bring on a natural centre back in tamas Vasko to play the same role, and he won pretty much every high or long ball, dominated their defence and really shown up "the genius big man signing we really needed" and how to play the target man role properly.

If you look throughout the season, you cannot really disagree that before adebola, we played a better game and imho had much better tactics going into matches. With adebola we aren't a million miles away from playing Hoofball!

Ade is doing what very few of you have had to do, play as a lone striker. That is very physically demanding, and not something that the human body can endure for too long.

It is my opinion that GJ is trying to milk Ade and Elliot for all that he can, even if he runs them into the ground, just get promotion. I think he's wrong, oh my God, GJ wrong, ok so what are you going to do, spit some venom on a forum ?

So whats the answer, play a 70% fit Elliot, or a 100% committed Skuse. Ade at the current usage is good for around an hour, then bring on Brooker, or reverse the process, start with Brooker and finish with Ade.

Talking out your rear end if any of you believe that dele doesnt win things in the air. Every game he has played he has won countless flick ons and knock downs but their hasnt been anyone there to pick up the second ball. He plays on his own as well, which means than the defenders pretty much know where the ball will be played and act accordingly. I think he had done really well, scored vital goals and created a fair few chances its just that others arnt taking them. So I wonder what he has to do for you to feel like he is contributing??

Dele Adebola has done everything asked of him. He has won countless headers, Worked extremely hard, Held the ball up and chipped in with a few goals. I have absoloutly no complaints about him.

However, I do agree with what somebody else said, We have changed the way we play since his arrival. We are far more direct and almost everything seems to be hit at Dele at the earliest opportunity. Where has our short passing and penetrating football gone? Earlier in the season we used to retain posession, pass and move, pass and move and try and create an opening that way.........some people were even comparing our style of football to that of Arsenal!!

I havent seen this for quite some time now.......

Lets look at a few facts, Adebola 3 goals in about 8 games, Trundle 4 goals in about 30 games, SHowumni-about 5 goals in about 20 games, Brooker 5 goals in about 10 games (at league one level). I have ommited Byfield as he isnt a target man and i have omitted Vasko as he isnt really a striker. Trundle isnt a targetman but he has played in Adebolas role.

Based on the facts there is no reason to criticse Adebolas contribution and to say he isnt a good player. 70% Brooker would not be better than Adebola.

Lets forget this 70% Brooker stuff. He has played 14 games for Cheltenham, Taken a while to settle and get match fit and scored 5 in his last 6.

Since his arrival they have won 6, drawn 4 and lost 4 and on that sort of form they would be in the top 10 over the course of a season.

Steve Brooker is 100% fit, he has made a HUGE difference to their team. If we don't get him back now then when will we..........

Adebola started of well but looks tired now. Maybe a weeks rest will help him. As someone said- 3 goals in 8 games is the best rate for any of our strikers.

As for Carle, for me he is an improvement on LJ and better thna Noble. He has improved our team and I think will only get better as his time goes on in England.

Guest WellyCiderHead

He's poor in the air,

sorry mate thats rubbish, hes quality in the air. lost count of the times he flicks on and theres no one there

Adebola started of well but looks tired now. Maybe a weeks rest will help him. As someone said- 3 goals in 8 games is the best rate for any of our strikers.

As for Carle, for me he is an improvement on LJ and better thna Noble. He has improved our team and I think will only get better as his time goes on in England.

Fair points but all knowledgable fans knew Dele wasn't a goalscorer when we brought him in so it's not fair on him to be judged on his goal ratio. I thought a return of 5 goals from him between January and May would've been realistic for him.

I think he's come in, done a good job but is being played in the wrong role. He may well be tiring as he's played pretty much every game so far but I don't think it helps when he's got nobody around him to pick up on the knockdown's and flick-on's. The time is most definately right to bring Brooker back. He seems to be flying at the moment and if, as you suggest, Dele is tiring then now's the time for him to come home.

Agree with the Carle comment. Thought he was just about our best player yesterday and looks much better in the middle than in the hole.

does anybody know when brookers loan actually ends?.. because I have a feeling it is soon, and we will all know if gary j does or doesn't want him after brooks is told to stay at cheltenham or come back to us.

It was renewed on 11th March for another month.

Is that a joke :noexpression:

Poor in the air :noexpression:

....but please can anyone see what Dele brings to the side?

Yes, he brings in the doughnuts and cream cakes. Trunds makes the tea, Byfield washes and Lee wipes. Meanwhile, GJ drones on about some grass and a ball - no-one listens. Hence we are staring relegation in the face.

if Dele is poor in the air, maybe we should bring back Bas Savage to grace the play on the floor

did you see how many knock on's and flicks etc he won at the plymouth game ?

ok so we lost, but thats not down to Dele not winning ball in the air, its down to the lack of finishing from the players around him

as for NC, he is one player who constantly looks forward and tries to play clever ball into the forwards

we are still 2nd in the league so something must be working

get behind the team now while they need it and stop taking a pop at players

who is that going to help....no one

:10_1_108::10_1_108::10_1_108:

:ranting::ranting::ranting:

We have got what we wanted / needed when we signed Dele. He holds the ball up very well, is good in the air and scores a few goals. He did not look sharp yesterday but that is because he has played up front on his own against some very physical teams. We have also been playing twice a week and for anyone who has played up front at any kind of level will know that it is bloody hard work, so fair play to him, but he does need a rest. I say bring brroker in alongside trundle who looked good on saturday and see how they get on.

Fair points but all knowledgable fans knew Dele wasn't a goalscorer when we brought him in so it's not fair on him to be judged on his goal ratio. I thought a return of 5 goals from him between January and May would've been realistic for him.

I think he's come in, done a good job but is being played in the wrong role. He may well be tiring as he's played pretty much every game so far but I don't think it helps when he's got nobody around him to pick up on the knockdown's and flick-on's. The time is most definately right to bring Brooker back. He seems to be flying at the moment and if, as you suggest, Dele is tiring then now's the time for him to come home.

Agree with the Carle comment. Thought he was just about our best player yesterday and looks much better in the middle than in the hole.

I think his ratio was 1 in 4 or 5 at Cov.

With regards to other posts. How many goals has big dele got in comparison with Byfield, trundle, carle, noble and Lee Johnson????

This post is nonsense, Adebola is immense in the air and won 95% of headers on Saturday, he must of flicked the ball on about 20 times.

Yup spot on, the problem is no one runs by him Byfield simply isn't up to it for 90 minutes and other than him we have no pace up top. Maybe we take a gamble and put Sproule along side Dele?

The question isn't what Adebola brings to the side, it's why he only brings it one game in three or four from what I've seen.

My other halfs uncle has a season ticket at Coventry, when we bought Dele he said he had one good game out of 4 on average.. I have been impressed with Dele, but I think a return for Brooker may give him a kick up the rear end and improve his game abit..

JMW?? He would be quick enough to get the knock ons!

I think Tristan Plummer might be a better shot!

I was worried when we bought Dele because we'd start playing the long-ball, which we did, but we're starting to play the chip balls down the line for Dele to hold up and flick it for Sproule, McIndoe, etc.

Archived