IGNORED

Back To Back Promotions

headhunter

If you are aged over 50 you are old enough to remember that after achieving promotion with that famous 2-0 win on the final day of the 64/65 season City surprised everyone by almost making it up to what is now the Premier League at the first time of asking.

They finished the season strongly but it was felt that 0-0 and 0-1 results against rivals Southampton over the easter period [in the days when clubs played 3 games in 5 days] cost them dearly.

Now, what happened after that? 66/67, 67/68, 68/69, 70/71, 73/74 were all relegation battles before we made it back to the top flight after an absence [a record] of 65 years.

So I say this to all those of you who say "we should be really pleased with what we have achieved this season and be thankful" - we now live in an age when patience is a virtue and I don't think any of you will be prepared to put up with what we went through in those early days of the Dicks era.

I feel that we are where we are and to lose it now would be failure and next season will see us struggle if we do fail.

Agree or disagree

So I say this to all those of you who say "we should be really pleased with what we have achieved this season and be thankful" - we now live in an age when patience is a virtue and I don't think any of you will be prepared to put up with what we went through in those early days of the Dicks era.

I feel that we are where we are and to lose it now would be failure and next season will see us struggle if we do fail.

Agree or disagree

Some wise words. I disagree that we will struggle next season and would expect us to be comfortably clear of relegation. I think that Johnson will look to further improve the squad over the Summer and that should be enough to ensure we're not troubling the relegation places. Whether we would be able to mix it up at the top of the table would be another question and there'll be a whole host of clubs who fancy a top six finish when the season kicks off.

Archived