IGNORED

Stfc V. Bcfc - Swindon Fan's Observations!

SwindonBob

After all the pre-match hype I can't help feel a little disapointed with the way the actual game turned out. Have to say I left the ground feeling a bit annoyed that we still have mangaged to fail in beating City at home!

The day started off very well with a McDonalds breakfast before hitting The Swiss Chalet Pub at 11.00 for a good 3 hours worth of drinking. Good atmoshere in the pub, full of high spirits, also a few City fans in there too having a few beers with us without any sign of bother. Which Is how it should be.

After a quick stop at the chip shop it was time to take our place in The Town End (thats the cow shed behind the goal to you!) which was full and in good vocal spirit. For some reason we never really got any banter going with you. I know The Stratton Bank does not generate the best of atmoshere's but I still thought you could have tried! (Still think Sheffield were the most vocal at TCG this season - they never stopped!)

The game gets under way and its clear City are hear to attack rather than defend like most teams that come here. City having the best of the possesion in the first half whilst creating a few half chances. Town's strikeforce kept very quiet by some excellant City defending - now I see why you concede few goals. Goalless at half time looks inevitable when a shocking piece of Town defending by Heywood allows Roberts to score on the stroke of half time from nothing. I can not tell you how gutted I was at this point, words fail me.

Second half and Swindon come out fighting gaining the majority of the play in the early stages and a goal seems only moments away. But the City defence holds firm so King goes for an 'aerial' attack by throwing on Fallon and putting the ball into the box on every opportunity. This is not how we normally play, but we are losing at home in what is a very important match for both sides. Defeat for us would have been unthinkable. Then it happens. A goal. The sort of goal you can't really describe. Fallon goes for an overhead effort when all around me (myself included) are saying "what the **** are you doing? pass the bloody ball!" when somehow it dips over a bemused Phillips in goal. Amazing scenes in The Town End, you would have thought we had just won the cup or something. Everyones out of their seats and i'm 4 or 5 rows down with some bloke on my back going metal who I don't even know! That's the passion I love in this game, wish it came more often!

The game is over and as we all walk out I remember thinking how annoyed I was with only a draw. Looking back though it could easily have been 3 points for you had Miller not hit the post at the death. Long live Miller!

So were you happy with the draw? I can't deny you were the better team and as much as its hurts to say, you were definately one of the best to visit TCG this season and try to play decent football. Thought Wilson's after match comments were a little harsh on us by comparing to Wimbledon of old. Yes we played longball when Fallon came on, but we were unable to play are normal passing game due to a change of formation. I think Wilson should take it as a compliment to Bristol City that we had to change our game to match yours.

All thats left for me to say is, go get that second auto spot as I can't bear to see us play you in the play-offs!

Enjoy the rest of the season and good luck!

Bob.

Honest, interesting and well written. That's the type of away fan's post I don't mind on here.
I like to 'mingle' with away fans, whoever they might be. (ok, might give Millwall a miss though!)

Never had a problem with City fans, and after working in Bristol for a couple of years I have good mates who are City fans, so thats why I tend to keep an eye on your results! (Also in a 'derby' point of view you have replaced Oxford for the time being)

The only thing that annoys me is when the more juvenile users of the forum can only say bad things about STFC that have nothing to do with the football! i.e. Roundabouts, culture, inbreds etc etc.

p.s. Is our ground really that bad btw? You are the only fans that ever critisise it and i'm not sure why! Thought it looked good with 15,000 bums on seats yesterday!

The only thing that annoys me is when the more juvenile users of the forum can only say bad things about STFC that have nothing to do with the football! i.e. Roundabouts, culture, inbreds etc etc.

p.s. Is our ground really that bad btw? You are the only fans that ever critisise it and i'm not sure why! Thought it looked good with 15,000 bums on seats yesterday!

SB,

Great to hear from you and thanks again for an excellent interview on "Robins rivals revealed!"

The County Ground is far better than a lot of the tips that we have to visit in Division 2, which hopefully won't be for much longer. Like a lot of venues, what let's The CG down is the lack of a roof on the Stratton Bank and the prehistoric toilet facilities, although some of the spiders are probably extremely rare.

I did Rory Fallon a disservice yesterday, after commenting on Radio Bristol that from my far vantage point, his goal appeared to be a fluke. Well, I soon changed my mind after seeing the goal on Soccer Sunday. It was a superb strike, executed with excellent technique. For those of you unfortunate enough to miss it, Mr Fallon was stood on City's 18-yard line, central to goal, with his back turned. He took a long pass and chest trapped it above head height, before launching into a scissors kick, which arced over the unfortunate Phillips with sheer impudence.

However, Fallon's ingenuity aside, I think Swindon provided little variation, with a power game that relied heavily on high balls to Mooney and little on midfield invention.

Still, good luck for the rest of the campaign and I hope we won't play you again this season SB, as promotion will have been assured for City.

Kind regards

Greenun

Guest Ciderhead Reynolds

good report son !

Makes a change from my swindon town mates , who seemed to think Town deserved to hammer us and cant see anything further than Town!

Nice to have a Fan who can give an honest report on the match and not be to biased towards his/her own team !

Wish more fans were like you !

Would you like to be my friend ! Hmm, yeah that's really funny Tarquin. :cool:

:cool: Wouldn't it be brilliant for the Westcountry if Plymooff, Swinedon and CITY all got promoted this season.........

More local darbies for next season and showing the north-west that there is some good footie played down here in cider land.

Triples all round!

Snoz

:cool: Wouldn't it be brilliant for the Westcountry if Plymooff, Swinedon and CITY all got promoted this season.........

More local darbies for next season and showing the north-west that there is some good footie played down here in cider land.

Triples all round!

Snoz

As my username suggests I live in the north west but now in north west lancashire.

Within an hour I can get to the following clubs and do so regularly for midweek games:

Preston, Blackburn, Burnley. Blackpool, Wigan, Bolton, Bury, Rochdale, Oldham, Manchester City, Manure, Stockport, Macclesfield, Crewe, Tranmere, Everton, Liverpool, and if the M6 or M61is not too busy; Port Vale, Stoke, Huddersfield and Leeds.

I've probably missed a few and also regularly watch Conference or just lower games at places like Lancaster, Morecambe, Accrington, Leigh RMI etc.

What a choice.

Fantastic post swindon bob , its great to see and opposition fan come on here and give an honest and unbiost(spelling) view. I hope we both go up but i'm afraid i can see us getting third and it wouldnt be possible then , but do us a favour will you beat the arse (or r's , i prefer to use the first option) in there last home game of the season. Good luck for the rest of the season. :cool:

Archived