IGNORED

The Loan Market

swindlered

I was just thinking of how different teams have used the loan market to underpin their bids for promotion with West Brom & Stoke in particular having made extensive use of loan and loan-to-buy signings. Some of these players have come with good reputations or built them whilst on loan.

Ishmael Miller

Roman Bednar

Luke Moore

Collins John

Chris Riggott

Ryan Shawcross

Leon Cort

Frazier Campbell

Neil Clement

Craig Fagan

Gary Teale

For City the only loan player we've used this season has been Vasko. Watford too haven't made much use of loan players but did bring in Collins John in January. I guess that there are pro's and con's with the approach in that if the loanee is recalled or cannot be replaced when they leave then the team can be left exposed. They may also undermine what is a close-knit dressing room.

It is far too late to even think of bringing any new player in because they will need a few games to settle in which with 7 left we haven't got. Even Brooker will need time as i don't think he has played even a reserve game with the likes of Trundle, Dele, Carle etc.

For the longer term though i don't know why we couldn't negotiate a season loan for a youngster or 2 from one of the big 4 someone like Campbell from Man U. They always seem to go to our rivals.

It is far too late to even think of bringing any new player in because they will need a few games to settle in which with 7 left we haven't got. Even Brooker will need time as i don't think he has played even a reserve game with the likes of Trundle, Dele, Carle etc.

For the longer term though i don't know why we couldn't negotiate a season loan for a youngster or 2 from one of the big 4 someone like Campbell from Man U. They always seem to go to our rivals.

I think that both Brooker and Russell were training with City for part of the week and Cheltenham for the rest.

i think bringing in loanees this late in the season shows a huge lack of belief in the current squad. if you were 3rd choice striker and your club brought in another striker because of an injury, it wouldnt fill you with confidence!

I wasn't advocating bringing in a loan signing. That's been done to death in other threads. Its just interesting to see the different reliances managers place on the loan market. It's easy to look on and think if only we'd signed Campbell or Bednar but the reality isn't that simple.

Johnson has shown immense faith in the squad and has stuck to his principles of allowing the players who got us to the top of the table to finish the job off.

I think that both Brooker and Russell were training with City for part of the week and Cheltenham for the rest.

correct, they spent first half the week with City, but go up to cheltenham later in the week, obviously to prepare for any match.

side point though, obviously Brooker isn't there now, but I think Russell is training all the time up there now as he is on loan till end of season, fairly sure he can't be recalled even if we want to, as it is a long term long.

Archived