IGNORED

Formation Change - 442 Diamond

dezgimed

Pretty bored so playing with some ideas.

We need to change our style of play as we cant score enough goals to win games now our defense looks shaky. We have 2 out and out wingers who play nothing like they should. McIndoe consistently drifts infield chasing the ball leaving McAllister to have to get forward and put balls in. Sproule refuses to make simple runs that would cut teams open, with only 3 assists.

Its fun and exciting playing with Wingers but it has to be practical. Try a diamond maybe?

--------------Adebola-----Brooker-------------------

--------------------McIndoe--------------------------

--------------Johnson-----Noble-----------------------

---------------------Elliott--------------------------------

McAllister-----Fontaine--Carey-----Wilson-----------

Carle/Skuse could be played instead of Johnson/Noble/Elliott. Orr dropped to play Wilson as an attacking wingback. McIndoe to play in the hole/free role which he seems to enjoy.

The beauty of this formation is that it free's a player up. McAllister and Wilson can push up and support in attacks (McAllister already has 4 assists this season, 1 more than Sproule) and Wilson has a better cross than Orr if required. He should be more comfortable as a wing back rather than out and out winger.

diamondza3.jpg

This shows how we have a player free for the ball as their full backs no longer have wingers to mark and wont commit too far forward, hence taking them out of the game in terms of marking. If someone wants to mark the middle man, they will have to press up or drop back.

Norwich will play Huckerby who is prob their main threat so this formation will also close him out.

diamond2jm8.jpg

Thoughts?

I prefer 4-4-2 with wingers like the rest of you but no point when McIndoe drifts in and neither beat a man and provide crosses.

:noexpression:

I think it would be harsh to drop Carle after his performance at Cardiff.

Also believe that width is, and has been for many years, one of our main strengths.

With 6 games left, sitting in 2nd, i'd rather stick with stability and what has got to this great position in the season.

Also believe that width is, and has been for many years, one of our main strengths.

With 6 games left, sitting in 2nd, i'd rather stick with stability and what has got to this great position in the season.

Yes but thats in the past, width has done nothing for us for 5 games. The wingers arent doing enough. Its just an idea that probably wont be used but we cant afford to slip up next Sat.

Just to add, you have width, the fullbacks push up.

This formation is faultless, ask Jose...

I reckon McCombe will be back next week but LJ won't-Just a guess

So why not try something that's not to radical but may just freshen things up and make us a bit less predictable:

...........BASSO....

WILSON.............CAREY.....MCCOMBE............MCALLISTER......

MURRAY........ELLIOTT....SKUSE.........CARLE..........MCINDOE...

..........ADEBOLA..

SUBS

WEALE

BROOKER

BYFIELD

FONTAINE

WILSON

OR

IF we want to go with two up top, which rarely seems to work for us, we should try the only partnership we haven't so far:

...BASSO............

......CAREY.............MCCOMBE..FONTAINE....

WILSON.......ELLIOTT...........SKUSE........CARLE....MCALLISTER.............

.......BROOKER......ADEBOLA...........

SUBS

WEALE

MURRAY

BYFIELD

MCINDOE

ORR

It's pointless playing with SB & Adebola if you don't get crosses in and Wilson & McAllister will get crosses in, even if from deeper positions than are ideal.Skuse's inclusion alongside Elliott will allow Elliott to bomb forward insupport of our strikers.

Three central defenders will give us added threat from set pieces, it's just a pity that LJ isn't there to deliver them.

We looked more like scoring at cardiff when we crossed the ball for adebola and brookers heads,

and 1 scored one ruled out, lets go for width, crosses and power heading as we got to burley strikers

to do it now, get a few goals then shut up shop, we need to win now even if we don't do it pretty...

...........BASSO........

WILSON.............CAREY.....MCCOMBE............MCALLISTER......

MURRAY........ELLIOTT...........NOBLE..........MCINDOE...

..........ADEBOLA..............BROOKER...............

SUBS

WEALE

TRUNDLE

BYFIELD

FONTAINE

ORR

For me it has to be 4-5-1

we look so much more solid when playing this

so

-----------------------Basso-----------------------------

orr------------carey -----fontain------------jimmy mac

ivan--------skuce-----carle----elliott------McIndoe

------------------------dele--------------------------------

subs

vasko

wilson

brooker

trundle

noble

...BASSO............

......CAREY.............MCCOMBE..FONTAINE....

WILSON.......ELLIOTT...........SKUSE........CARLE....MCALLISTER.............

.......BROOKER......ADEBOLA...........

SUBS

WEALE

MURRAY

BYFIELD

MCINDOE

ORR

It's pointless playing with SB & Adebola if you don't get crosses in and Wilson & McAllister will get crosses in, even if from deeper positions than are ideal.Skuse's inclusion alongside Elliott will allow Elliott to bomb forward insupport of our strikers.

Three central defenders will give us added threat from set pieces, it's just a pity that LJ isn't there to deliver them.

I like this selection and formation. It gives us more power in both boxes with 3 strong centre halfs who can all head and Carey and Fontaine are mobile enough to cover wider areas and are playing on their stronger side.. 2 strong headers up front who can both hold the ball and make sure it doesn't come straight back when played up. 3 in midfield who can all put a foot in and pass - and all 3 full of running.

As always with 3-5-2 the key is the wide men, they need to be able to get up and down the pitch, and put the crosses in.

If they get pinned back the system won't work, and if the opposition play 4-4-2 the wing backs can find themselves always 1 v 2 unless other midfielders support the wide man in possession.

Harsh on McIndoe but it's all about being more effective - and overall I think this team - taking into account the form of all our squad could do well. If LJ is fit I'd play him in this formation instead of Carle. Murray to have 20-30 minutes and see if he still has the legs before we try something risky like starting him.

finally - as BB said - this selection gives us 7 (Carey, McCoombe,Fontaine, Brooks, Dele,Elliott, Skuse) tall players who can get up and head the ball at set pieces....and with Stoke away a massive game coming up then we might need this to combat them.

CR

I like this selection and formation. It gives us more power in both boxes with 3 strong centre halfs who can all head and Carey and Fontaine are mobile enough to cover wider areas and are playing on their stronger side.. 2 strong headers up front who can both hold the ball and make sure it doesn't come straight back when played up. 3 in midfield who can all put a foot in and pass - and all 3 full of running.

As always with 3-5-2 the key is the wide men, they need to be able to get up and down the pitch, and put the crosses in.

If they get pinned back the system won't work, and if the opposition play 4-4-2 the wing backs can find themselves always 1 v 2 unless other midfielders support the wide man in possession.

Harsh on McIndoe but it's all about being more effective - and overall I think this team - taking into account the form of all our squad could do well. If LJ is fit I'd play him in this formation instead of Carle. Murray to have 20-30 minutes and see if he still has the legs before we try something risky like starting him.

finally - as BB said - this selection gives us 7 (Carey, McCoombe,Fontaine, Brooks, Dele,Elliott, Skuse) tall players who can get up and head the ball at set pieces....and with Stoke away a massive game coming up then we might need this to combat them.

CR

Basso

Orr Mccombe Carey Mcallister

Skuse

Murray Mcindoe

Noble

Adebola Brooker

Carle

Fontaine

Trundle

Wilson

Weale

I can see Murray being a dead cert for Sat.

First time i seen him at least not be on the bench for the reserves

Saying that though, Artus not playing either which seems weird.

But could be completely wrong

Archived