IGNORED

16 Points: It's Our Worst - Has The Johnson Bubble Burst?

Blagdon red

BB's review of the latest block of ten games now online:

16 Points: It's Our Worst - Has The Johnson Bubble Burst?

Very interesting and most informative, and yet....

Could there be an explanation of the arresting headline question '"Has the Johnson Bubble Burst?". A bubble is a temporary, insubstantial thing but who can doubt that Manager Johnson has been,and continues to be ,a most effective operator?

So whence came the "bubble" ?

Very interesting and most informative, and yet....

Could there be an explanation of the arresting headline question '"Has the Johnson Bubble Burst?". A bubble is a temporary, insubstantial thing but who can doubt that Manager Johnson has been,and continues to be ,a most effective operator?

So whence came the "bubble" ?

I was at a wedding in Tring this weekend where the vast majority of friends of the groom were Watford fans (given its pretty much homeground that way for them).

Do any of us think Boothroyd's bubble has burst??

They were endlessly moaning to me about Watford - I didn't actually realise they haven't won in SEVEN games now.

I think to be honest, our run is temporary.

We didn't play great vs Plymouth but I felt we could have had a point from that.

Cardiff - a little luck either way and we could have come away with 3 points.

Watford - were easily their match.

I think we can get back on track vs Norwich. This for me will be our decider.

Do any of us think Boothroyd's bubble has burst??

I hope so because he's another hoofball merchant not the bright young thing he's portrayed as!

They were endlessly moaning to me about Watford - I didn't actually realise they haven't won in SEVEN games now.

Seven Draws, I believe.

I think to be honest, our run is temporary.

Hope you're right but the lack of attacking play overall, is a major concern and we need to address that if we're to stay as we are.

We didn't play great vs Plymouth but I felt we could have had a point from that.

Agreed, however, as you say the concerning thing is the lack of a performance as well as the result.

Cardiff - a little luck either way and we could have come away with 3 points.

I'd agree with that but the two shots on target stat is a worrier.

Watford - were easily their match.

But could well have lost

I think we can get back on track vs Norwich. This for me will be our decider.

From your mouth to God's ears, matey!

So it's a case of Bubble and Squeak across the board then It's an interesting situation

Squeaky bum time indeed and the run in will tell us a lot about our ability & cohones.

Interesting to hear people talking about being disappointed if we only reach the play offs...........how times change, not to mention exppectation levels!

If the fates decree that we spend another season in the Championship i`m sure there are a lot of people who will feel disappointed. Who wouldn`t be, it would be understandable given the fantastic position the team have gotten into.

But lets just remind people of our definition of disappointment.

Bristol City 0 Brighton 1

...... now thats disappointment.

So....IF...we fail to go up for whatever reason, have your moment of disappointment and then remember that this club is still going forward under GJ and SL. That its been a great season that exceeded our expectations and look forward to the next one.

PDG

If the fates decree that we spend another season in the Championship i`m sure there are a lot of people who will feel disappointed. Who wouldn`t be, it would be understandable given the fantastic position the team have gotten into.

But lets just remind people of our definition of disappointment.

Bristol City 0 Brighton 1

...... now thats disappointment.

So....IF...we fail to go up for whatever reason, have your moment of disappointment and then remember that this club is still going forward under GJ and SL. That its been a great season that exceeded our expectations and look forward to the next one.

PDG

Well said.

Let's also remind ourselves that, in under two and a half years, Gary Johnson has taken this club from the brink of relegation to the basement division to the brink of promotion to the Premier League.

The turnaround under his management has been nothing short of astounding and I, for one, am not about to use his own success as a stick to beat him with.

Yes, there will be an element of disappointment if we end up not making it. But let's not forget who got us in this position, where promotion is possible with just six games to go, in the first place.

Well said.

Let's also remind ourselves that, in under two and a half years, Gary Johnson has taken this club from the brink of relegation to the basement division to the brink of promotion to the Premier League.

The turnaround under his management has been nothing short of astounding and I, for one, am not about to use his own success as a stick to beat him with.

Yes, there will be an element of disappointment if we end up not making it. But let's not forget who got us in this position, where promotion is possible with just six games to go, in the first place.

Given our past to consolidate ourselves in the Championship would be a good achievement. My expectations for the season were simply to come 20th (I am somewhat of a pessimist) and whilst missing out on the play-offs for any reason other than that we finished top two would be disappointing it would be crass to offer anything other than praise to the players and the management. We are in the top six despite our resources and should the worst case scenario emerge and we remain in the Championship next season it would be good to remember that we are essentially a mid-table club. As PD Gifford wisely states whilst we should aim for the stars we shouldn't forget where we come from and what we are.

Archived