IGNORED

Potential England Captains

downendcity

Given the FA's current bandwagon of geting players to show respect for match officials, I am intrigued at the candidates being lined up for the England captaincy.

Ferdinand fell foul of drug testing and always seems to be a part of the Man U "pack" that goes hunting referees whenever a decison goes against them. Rooney is also being mentioned as a possible captain, and yet in most games I see on the box, he seems to giving referees and linesmen a running commentary of obscene language throughout a game.

John Terry is leader of the "pack" at Chelsea, who seem to match Man U for hunting down the referee whenever a decsion goes against them, or , as in the ashley Cole incident last week, whenever they think there is a danger of a referee giving the correrct punishment to a team mate.

It would make a pleasant change if the FA, through Copello, put their money where their mouths are and did not select any of these players as captain to demonstrate their firm intent to eradicate intimidation of referee's from the game at top level.

What are the options exactly?

Ferdinand: missed a drugs test.

Terry: shows no respect towards authority.

Gerrard's cleaned up a touch over recent years but his performances in an England shirt have left a lot to be desired since Germany in 2001 (though in fairness, the majority of England's players do also). Owen isn't a regular starter, and I struggle to find another influential character in England's setup who is of captaincy material.

Frankly, I don't care. I've been bored of watching England for more than half a decade now.

Archived