IGNORED

A Norwich Point Of Veiw

EASTEND WURZEL

Taken from SUSD WEBSITE.

Bristol City 2 - 1 Norwich City

Att - 17 511

Standing - All of Bristol City support in the East End, about 1000. Around 500 of the 1500 away supporters stood throughout. Seating was unreserved so supporters that wanted to stand went to the back and those that preferred to sit stayed at the front. There was also a 2ft high concrete ledge at the back of the away end that was full all game as well. Incidentally, amongst the standing away supporters were plenty of women and people of all ages of both genders. Behind me were a couple of lads in their early teens. A few rows behind them was a woman in her 60's and on the end of my row was an elderly chap with a walking stick. All had the choice to sit, all chose to stand.

Atmosphere - Quite good from Norwich. Plenty of noise and loud at times, though never continuous and a little unimaginative with the songs. I was very impressed with the Bristol City support in the East End. They started singing about 20 minutes before kick off and apart from a couple of quiet patches sung non-stop throughout the match, creating a quite continental European atmosphere with some original material (I did like the song to the tune of Yellow Submarine). The unreserved seating meant that these supporters were in the ground early so the atmosphere was able to build up and was helped by the fact that although music was being played it wasn't overpowering. This meant you could have a conversation with the person next to you and any singing was clearly audible over it. It was also nice not to hear music being played after the home team scored, something that is sadly all to common in our division.

Stewarding - Again I was very impressed. Stewarding was very low key and although there were plenty around they made no efforts to get either home or away supporters seated and seemed more inclined to watch the match. No one was ejected and there were no probems or tension because of their relaxed attitude. There was plently of banter between the two sets of fans but nothing malicious so no action was taken. Simply, there was never a reason for them to get involved so they didn't.

Policing - Same as the stewarding. No problems at all.

Other - Bought a programme for someone whose Dad is from Bristol and I was reading it on the way home. There is an article in there from the Bristol City Supporters Trust re. a potential new ground and asking supporters to contact them with what they would like it to look like and what features it should have. The initiatives they mentioned are that it should have a distinctive look, fans close to the pitch with good acoustics to improve atmosphere. Also, the stadium should be four-sided with an area of safe standing, Bristol City supporters behind both goals and corporate guests above the general eyeline.

Also in the programme were next years season ticket details. To renew an adult season ticket in the East End will be £250, a reduction on last seasons prices. This affordable price combined with unreserved seating and the ability to stand without hassle should attract plenty of the younger, more vociferous support and guarantee them a good atmoshere next season. Considering that they were promoted last season and are in a fantastic position to make the Premier League next season most clubs would have pound signs in their eyes and would be significantly increasing prices, so I found this very refreshing.

I will contact Bristol City in the coming days with the above points, for as much as we criticise a lot of clubs for their treatment of supporters we need to commend those that are doing everything right. We are always looking at models in Europe to gain a better understanding of what we would like in our country, but are we setting our gaze too far when we have such a fine working model of our objectives on our very own doorstep?

Not only are we believing but its rubbing off on others! I'm a Dolman man myself but love the fact that the East End was fought for and is now successfully running so those who choose to show their support in a more vocal way are being catered for. Would be good to hear what the players think about it as well! Hats off to the positive post!

I'd have to disagree with you there Cynic with regard to Communication and PR it has improved significantly since the appointment of David Lloyd. I cannot really commment on the Match Day experience he creates but one and all assure it is light years better than it was.

Don't get me started on tickets though gggggggrrrrrr

Had a great laugh in the East End on Saturday, lost my voice and had a great laugh with the people around me.

FORZA EAST END

P.s Hi to anyone who was stood around me!!!

Hope you had a good birthday Badger! I know I did!!

EE was cracking fun on saturday.. Spoke to my area manager today who supports Arsenal for his sins, he had a mate staying with him the weekend who supports Norwich, so they went to the Gate. First time my boss has been to Ashton Gate and he was very impressed by the noise coming from the EE and all the different songs that were going on. He did ask why we had it in for Curtains though and chuckled abit when I told him.. He said the standing / bouncing was good to see and thought the stewards were top quality as well.

Coming from someone who watches alot of games at The Emirates and other Premier League grounds I was pretty happy with the good things he said about our club.

Hope you had a good birthday Badger! I know I did!!

EE was cracking fun on saturday.. Spoke to my area manager today who supports Arsenal for his sins, he had a mate staying with him the weekend who supports Norwich, so they went to the Gate. First time my boss has been to Ashton Gate and he was very impressed by the noise coming from the EE and all the different songs that were going on. He did ask why we had it in for Curtains though and chuckled abit when I told him.. He said the standing / bouncing was good to see and thought the stewards were top quality as well.

Coming from someone who watches alot of games at The Emirates and other Premier League grounds I was pretty happy with the good things he said about our club.

If they thought it was good on Saturday then they should have been in there for games like Hull, WBA etc where it was amazing. Saturday was the poorest it has been in there all season even though aload of us gave it a good shout but it just failed to catch on.

I'd have to disagree with you there Cynic with regard to Communication and PR it has improved significantly since the appointment of David Lloyd. I cannot really commment on the Match Day experience he creates but one and all assure it is light years better than it was.

Don't get me started on tickets though gggggggrrrrrr

The communication and PR can be appalling at times - especially at the ticket office (and on a regular basis, too). They are a disgrace to be honest - especially the person in charge. I spent nearly a grand on season tickets for my family and didn't realise I was entitled to 5% discount on the price of two of them as me and the old man are in the City Foundation. Upon phoning to get a retrospective refund (perfectly normal business practice) I was basically told that there was "nothing they could do for me". I then pointed out that we do something for ourselves by withdrawing from the City Foundation instead - a "saving" of over £100 per annum. Suddenly the penny sort of dropped in a cack handed way and I was told "it is not our Department" but that I could contact the City Foundation direct who, luckily, have a totally different attitude and are sorting it for me.

Fantastic PR and Communication - don't you agree?

Archived