IGNORED

Championship, We're Having A Laugh - City Don't Have A Prayer As Saints Go Marching In

Blagdon red

Good report as always. Sad though aint it

Thanks & yes it is and if GJ think anyone gets any pleasure out of a performance like that he really is losing it.

We're all City and we're all in it to the end-All I want (I won't speak for others) is a performance & a result and we haven't had one for two months, IMHO, over ninety minutes.No excuses lads, four games to make yourself millionaires not to mention BCFC Legends and if that doesn't motivate you, you shouldn't be playing football.

if GJ think anyone gets any pleasure out of a performance like that he really is losing it.

Watched the interview on World? He talks about this. and no he didnt enjoy his game or his weekend and he's still got the 'ump.

Said elswhere that regardless of result or formation we need a PERFORMANCE. Hopefully we'll get it.

Watched the interview on World? He talks about this. and no he didnt enjoy his game or his weekend and he's still got the 'ump.

Said elswhere that regardless of result or formation we need a PERFORMANCE. Hopefully we'll get it.

Completly agree with GJ on that, but I don't like the reference to "those who knock us when we're down and are nowehere to be seen when we're going well"-I genuinely can't think of anyone I know or even in the Media that's like that-Certainly not City fans and GJ must realise that our performances have been average-poor in general for a while.He's the bloke who can do most to change that, not forgetting the players who owe those of us who went to Soton a real performance.They alos owe that to GJ for keeping faith with them when everyone else in the chasing pack strengthened, if only with loans.

That's his management and his sub £250k players-As I originally pointed out.His activity below that level, aside from his loan period, have been exemplary.

So the players who cost over £250k have had no bearing on us being top with four to play?

That's some going to be in the position we are with only 8 players on the pitch at times.

It hasn't been enough to see us take advantage of our position over the lst two months and our zero goal difference bears testamant to that, as does the fact that Trundle didn't make the squad and Sproule & Carle were on the bench.I didn't pick that squad, GJ did.

It's been enough to see us top after 42 games. The results in isolation in recent weeks haven't been up to the high standards this group of players have set themselves, but it's a 46 game season not a 7 game season.

It smacks to me of using the team's superb achievements thus far as a stick to beat them with rather than a position to congratulate them on.

"And I hope I can get some of what you're drinking or smoking. I suggest you learn to read some stats and that you'll get to a few more games in order that your judgement will improve.Embarrassed? Southampton, the best squad in the Division? :disapointed2se: The team of the year in British Football :noexpression:"

How can you possibly compare the achievement of Liverpool, Manchester and Chelsea with that of Bristol City? They have huge resources and are among the biggest clubs in the world. They can virtually buy whatever player they want; yet they often struggle to win the big prizes. City's achievement this year on limited resources in their first season back is quite phenomenal. Our old enemy Cardiff come quite close as well with all that has happened there this year. Manchester Utd might be considered if they win the Premier League and the european cup but only then - we are not comparing like with like.

Your criticism and your hysterical reaction to criticism of your views will not help to build confidence and is completely out of proportion. I feel Gary's comments in the WDP are a reasonable response to people like you:

"When asked about criticism on radio phone-ins and internet fans' forums, Johnson said: "That's just human nature and there's not much you can do about it.

There are some who are almost willing us to fail and they are the ones who make most noise when we lose a game like we did against Southampton.

If we're successful at the end of the season, we'll remember those who are being negative now."

And by the way it is accepted by most reasonable commentators that Southampton have an extremely strong squad - one of the strongest in the Championship. Yes they have hugely underperformed but the shock of slipping into the bottom three has indeed motivated them at last. I wish we had some of their players under Gary's management.

So the players who cost over £250k have had no bearing on us being top with four to play?

That's not what I said.Everyone who's played has had a bearing on where we are, however how much in relation to cost, that is, VFM is in question, IMHO

That's some going to be in the position we are with only 8 players on the pitch at times.

What a ridiculous remark.

OK, let's start making comparisions Do you think Trundle, Sproule & Carle have had more impact than Basso & Elliott? Because I don't and in terms of value for money, contrast McCombe & Trundle.Byfield or Sproule?

Would you rather have £2m of those three?

It's been enough to see us top after 42 games. The results in isolation in recent weeks haven't been up to the high standards this group of players have set themselves, but it's a 46 game season not a 7 game season.

It's been about two months, that's not a blip and should have been addressed, especially with more players going to "the land of the banished!"

It smacks to me of using the team's superb achievements thus far as a stick to beat them with rather than a position to congratulate them on.

It's a realistic assesment of how we are playing and if we lose the next four games and miss out on the play offs, what we've acheived will soon be forgotten.What we've acheived so far is survival and for some that would have been enough.

I would never have settled for it and won't now.I said at the start of the season that we had a real chance of outperforming Colchester who were another team that had exceeded their wildest dreams.Colchester will be relegated soon and, whilst I don't think we'll have to sell our best players in the same way they did, there is no doubt that a second season in the CCC will be a tougher prospect.

Our chance is there and we need to keep our bottle and seize the day in a division that refuses to have a runaway leader or top two.

Here's hoping we can

"And I hope I can get some of what you're drinking or smoking. I suggest you learn to read some stats and that you'll get to a few more games in order that your judgement will improve.Embarrassed? Southampton, the best squad in the Division? :disapointed2se: The team of the year in British Football :noexpression:"

How can you possibly compare the achievement of Liverpool, Manchester and Chelsea with that of Bristol City?

I didn't and it wasn't me who described us as "The Team Of The Year In British Football" That's just plain foolish.

They have huge resources and are among the biggest clubs in the world. They can virtually buy whatever player they want; yet they often struggle to win the big prizes.

Oh dear.Ever heard the expression when you're digging a hole and you're in the $hit, stop digging?? Liverpool & Man Utd have won The Champions League & and Utd The Premier League more times than I can remember.Chelsea the Premier League, FA Cup, League Cup, need I go on?

City's achievement this year on limited resources in their first season back is quite phenomenal.

No it's not.........yet, promotion would be a phenominal acheivement.

Our old enemy Cardiff come quite close as well with all that has happened there this year. Manchester Utd might be considered if they win the Premier League and the european cup but only then - we are not comparing like with like.

No YOU'RE not, but you are saying that City are the team of the year and that's balony

Your criticism and your hysterical reaction to criticism of your views will not help to build confidence and is completely out of proportion. I feel Gary's comments in the WDP are a reasonable response to people like you:

What you mean the sort of people who are at S****horpe, Hull & Barnsley on cold, wet Tuesday nights? That kind of people?

"When asked about criticism on radio phone-ins and internet fans' forums, Johnson said: "That's just human nature and there's not much you can do about it.

There are some who are almost willing us to fail and they are the ones who make most noise when we lose a game like we did against Southampton.

If we're successful at the end of the season, we'll remember those who are being negative now."

I'd call that an attempt to create a bunker mentality based on paranoia.......And if it works, great, who cares?

And by the way it is accepted by most reasonable commentators that Southampton have an extremely strong squad

No it isn't

- one of the strongest in the Championship.

One win in 14 before Saturday and in dire relegation trouble.One goal in five games before doubling that against us in one game.Yeh, Man Utd must be $hitting themselves

Yes they have hugely underperformed but the shock of slipping into the bottom three has indeed motivated them at last. I wish we had some of their players under Gary's management.

Stern John with 17 goals might be handy as that's more than Trundle (4), Sproule (2) Carle (0) & Adebola (5) between them in a struggling team.Makes you wonder, doesn't it

That's not what I said.Everyone who's played has had a bearing on where we are, however how much in relation to cost, that is, VFM is in question, IMHO

You said, "That's his management and his sub £250k players-As I originally pointed out."

There was no mention of value for money or acknowledgement of the players' contribution who cost over £250k.

Clearly from what you've said now, it wasn't your intention to dismiss their efforts, which is fair enough.

What a ridiculous remark.

Not in the context of how your original statement read, but as above, I see now that wasn't what you were implying.

OK, let's start making comparisions Do you think Trundle, Sproule & Carle have had more impact than Basso & Elliott? Because I don't and in terms of value for money, contrast McCombe & Trundle.Byfield or Sproule?

Would you rather have £2m of those three?

Carle hasn't had as long as the others to prove himself, so it's harder to assess him.

No, Trundle and Sproule haven't had the impact Elliott and Basso have had, but they are nonetheless cogs in the wheel that have seen us outscore any other team in this league thus far and have played their part in getting us to the top of the Championship after 42 games.

We can only deal in facts, not speculate as to what other players may or may not have done. The facts are, Gary Johnson has assembled a squad that has got us into this position with players who cost us nothing and players who cost us money.

If someone had said to me in the summer that spending £2m would see us top of the table after 42 games, would I rather have the money or the players and the league position? I'd have taken the players and the league position. As I still would now.

It's been about two months, that's not a blip and should have been addressed, especially with more players going to "the land of the banished!"

It's a realistic assesment of how we are playing and if we lose the next four games and miss out on the play offs, what we've acheived will soon be forgotten.What we've acheived so far is survival and for some that would have been enough.

I would never have settled for it and won't now.I said at the start of the season that we had a real chance of outperforming Colchester who were another team that had exceeded their wildest dreams.Colchester will be relegated soon and, whilst I don't think we'll have to sell our best players in the same way they did, there is no doubt that a second season in the CCC will be a tougher prospect.

Our chance is there and we need to keep our bottle and seize the day in a division that refuses to have a runaway leader or top two.

Here's hoping we can

What we've achieved so far is to outscore every other team in this league at our first attempt.

Survival is the first port of call in any season and the sooner you get to that point, the sooner you can set other targets. We'd achieved that by the start of February. After that, it's a case of kicking on and seeing how far you can go. So far, we've gone further than everyone else.

I accept our recent form has been below par, but Gary Johnson's career has been all about promotion and success for many years. He knows what it takes and he knows what squad of players is required to achieve it.

In my opinion, he has done enough for me to trust his judgement. And, with four games to go, one win possibly required to ensure a play off position and three wins probably required to achieve automatic promotion, I'm not about to doubt him now.

On your last two paragraphs, we agree completely.

Carle hasn't had as long as the others to prove himself, so it's harder to assess him.

In 12 games albeit with GJ playing him out of position on a couple of occassions he should have contributed something in terms of a goal or assist.I'm not against the guy I'm looking for an impact or major contribution and for circa £600k, I think we are entitled to expect more.

No, Trundle and Sproule haven't had the impact Elliott and Basso have had, but they are nonetheless cogs in the wheel that have seen us outscore any other team in this league thus far and have played their part in getting us to the top of the Championship after 42 games.

An occassional and very small part definetly not in keeping with their cost.

We can only deal in facts, not speculate as to what other players may or may not have done. The facts are, Gary Johnson has assembled a squad that has got us into this position with players who cost us nothing and players who cost us money.

I'll agree with that

If someone had said to me in the summer that spending £2m would see us top of the table after 42 games, would I rather have the money or the players and the league position? I'd have taken the players and the league position. As I still would now.

So would I, however, over the last 12 games we've allowed a strong position and a great opportunity to pass us by.I truly wish it wasn't so, however it's really looking that way and it doesn't look like improving.Moreover, apart from Elliott's return I can't see what will make it suddenly get better??

What we've achieved so far is to outscore every other team in this league at our first attempt.

Survival is the first port of call in any season and the sooner you get to that point, the sooner you can set other targets. We'd achieved that by the start of February. After that, it's a case of kicking on and seeing how far you can go. So far, we've gone further than everyone else.

As a minimum fall back postn, yes, as an aim or target-one might say a goal, never.Set low standards and you'll acheive low standards

I accept our recent form has been below par, but Gary Johnson's career has been all about promotion and success for many years. He knows what it takes and he knows what squad of players is required to achieve it.

Regretfully not at this level and there may be a difference? I hope not.In terms of recent form 12 games and two months isn't recent and I still feel he should have reacted sooner however, I truly hope he's proved right

In my opinion, he has done enough for me to trust his judgement. And, with four games to go, one win possibly required to ensure a play off position and three wins probably required to achieve automatic promotion, I'm not about to doubt him now.

I don't doubt him, neither do I think he's omnipotent-The point I made is one that he has made himself, albeit defacto, by dropping the players concerned which takes guts, but dropped they are.

On your last two paragraphs, we agree completely.

Super :city:

Archived