IGNORED

You're Steve L .... We Go Up Do You Trust Dw With

headhunter

On the assumption that we go up and the widely held view that we probably need 3-4 new first team squad additions to have an impact in D1, if you were SL would you be confident in DW's ability to splash the cash wisely in the summer.

Personally I wouldn't if it were my money !!

Basically DW has spent £700k [Miller / Wilkshire / Goodfellow] on players that clearly are no better than what we already had otherwise they would be first team certainties. You could argue that Murray's transfer funded that spending spree but oh, we have have him back and he will be 30 next season and already looks to have lost a yard of pace.

Where is the money going to come from if it is not from SL ? Who are our saleable assets ? Coles perhaps, but then you don't sell your best players.

The only way we can improve the squad will be to pick up out of contract D1 players who are prepared to take a pay cut.

Perhaps we have enough of a network to know who are the best D2 / D3 players [shame we didn't go for Kitson of Cambridge last month 4 in 7 for Reading already !]out of contract who would be drawn to Ashton Gate by the prospect of D1 football.

Quite honestly DW's record in the transfer market is poor and I see nothing to suggest that will change.

Am I being harsh ??

His transfer record at City has been poor, I don't know what it was like at Barnsley, but we have to hope it was better when he was a First Division manager. The one plus point in my mind for Wilson, is that he knows the First Division well, which could help him when we're there, mind you, talk about clutching at straws.

Its surprising how many players will come to a first division club but not a second.

The prospect of being part of a team to make the top flight is enough to attract many players, however the prospect of merely getting a team out of division 2 isn't so great.

If/when we go up, we will have a chance of getting some great Premiership talent on loan and maybe even the chance of one or two good division 1 signings.

Steve Lansdown to me has shown he is a very astute business man, he keeps his feet firmly on the deck and raises the highest amount of money he can for wage bills and singings, somehow year in year out he has managed to raise quite a lot of cash, from div 2 attendances and all the other div 2 incomings. I'm sure he will be able to set aside even more money in Division 1, which should be plenty as i think the money Wilson has been supported with this season is enough to buy quality Div 1 players.

I think if we go up Wilson will be able to make some superb signings, good enough to at least keep us in the top half. Wilson has had no experience of Div 2 before, he was always used to being able to get quality players to come, due to the div 1 status, in div 2 i think he struggled attracting the calibre of player he wanted, and i think its fair to say, overspent on what hes got now.

He has the experience of Div 1 and its fair to say he took his teams far, however under Mr. lansdown he will not be allowed to over spend and send the club into freefall like he did with Wednesday and Barnsley.

I think Wilson is the right man for us always had a soft spot for him didn't quite know why, this is probaly it. I think all he has to do is get past that massive problem of Div 2, then i think he can take tis club far, will he ever get us out of here though?

Only time will tell.

Unfortunately.

No, you're being honest about a guy who's made signings this season and is playing last years team.

Conventional wisdom said that we needed two players at the end of last year and DW agreed.

The problem was, that in selling Murray, we needed three, unless we had a ready made replacement, such as, perhaps, Marvin Brown, who didn't get a try.

Even if AB hadn't broken his leg, it would still be last years team.

Come the end of the season, there will need to be a massive clear out.

Something like 10/12 out 6/7 in if we go up and 7/8 out 3/4 in if we stay down.

Wilson has cleared out Clist, Hulbert, Jones & Matthews already.

As you say, his signings, loan & permanent, leave a lot tobe desired.

I think Danny has been very shrewd - Luke Wilkshire 250k Miller 300k and Goodfellow 100k - all young players with the whole of the careers ahead of them and will only get better! All three players a have shown glimpse of brilliance and all they need is consistency.

Cant you see, Danny is looking far ahead into the future!

Dont get me wrong - some of his team selections are odd, but hes clever when it comes to signing players.

I think Danny has been very shrewd - Luke Wilkshire 250k Miller 300k and Goodfellow 100k - all young players with the whole of the careers ahead of them and will only get better! All three players a have shown glimpse of brilliance and all they need is consistency.

Cant you see, Danny is looking far ahead into the future!

Dont get me wrong - some of his team selections are odd, but hes clever when it comes to signing players.

I look at players who've cost their clubs nothing or next to nothing.

Mooney, Fallon, Boyd(Hartlepool 6 goals in seven games)Parkin,Knight and compare them to the players you have just mentioned and can't help but wonder.

Even Collins John at Fulham

Miller was the biggest con at £365K, they really saw us coming.

Wilkshire at £250K, hasn't proved anything and if you're going to pay big money at this level, they should radically improve what you've got, hence my point about last years team.

Goodfellow can't even get on the bench and lacks courage to compete.

Personally, I would ditch DW even if we are promoted.

He hasn't addressed key issues in a timely enough manner, when the problems have been there for all to see and has wasted the cash he was given, badly.

Thats exactly it, in div 2 you have to look to the youngsters, they are the only half decent players that you will get without paying stupid wages which in div 2 no-one can afford.

We have an academy to produce youngsters though so this decision would/should be questioned.

If you ask me i think Danny will work wonders for us in Div 1, i think he will be able to attract much better players and personally i don't think he really got the players he REALLY wanted however in Div 1 he can go for these players.

The more i look at it the more i see that hes doing his best to get us out of Div 2 and he wants it as much as we do cause he knows he will be able to do a hell of a lot better job up there.

We will see next year anyway :ph34r:

I think wilson signs good players , wilkshire will replace tinnion next season , Miller can play in division 1 , goodfellow is decent backup for either wing , rougier and caskey probably wont be here. The only problem i have with wilson is he buys players and plays them out of position , then drops them because they dont do well or continually plays them there and they loose there confidence. With wilkshire when he played him on the right , and goodfellow is obviously perfectly suited to replace brown when he is injured , so he brings in an out of form left back to play there! Mickey bell has done well over the last couple of games but freezer would have a much more attacking threat and should at least be on the bench.

Archived