IGNORED

Nik Finished The Marathon!

Dollymarie

I just went on the London Marathon website, and found that our Nik finished the marathon in 4hrs 44 minutes and 29 seconds so a massive well done to him.

He also beat Joanne Risdale who was the Rovers fan he was racing, who came in with a time of 7hrs 27 minutes and 11 seconds.

A huge well done to both of them but particularly our Nik!

You can see both of their times here

Nik

Joanne

Apparently they are on Radio Bristol in the morning from their recovery beds!

WARNING WARNING BORING POST ALERT

Thanks everybody, all of the support i got (and am still getting) really astounds me. During the the race, i was constantly hearing shouts of "cmon Nik" and "up the city" it really helped me try a little harder

. I saw plenty of footie fans on the route, Stoke Hull and Watford were all represented, and ALL of them wished us luck for promotion, not one of them thought we would fail in our quest for the promised land.

I wont bore you with a full run down (scuse the pun) on how it went, but for those of you who are interested........... the first 13 miles went by without a hitch, at this point i was still smiling (even in the cold rain!!) and even thinking about picking up the pace a little. 13-16 miles, i felt a twinge in my left foot (slight tendon injury) but i knew it wasnt serious so i just turned my music up a bit and carried on. Mile 16 Disaster struck!!!!!! right in the middle of "Drink up ye zyder" i was happily plodding along, trying my best to start a mass wurzel singalong when the rain finally got into the MP3 player and it cut out! bugger, i now have 10 miles to go with a soar foot and no MOBO (music of Bristol Origin) to sing along to, the doubts started entering my mind.

Mile 18 and the short spell of sunshine subsided and the heavens opened up with a downpour of sleet and hail, not nice. But this just made everybody make more of an effort and try and keep smiling, i managed to start off a few "ogi ogi ogi" (oy oy oy) shouts so that spirits didnt drop too much. The crowd at this point were fantastic, poor buggers getting soaked and cold, but every few hundred yards i would hear my name called (i should point out that i had my name on my vest, i'm not really that popular!!) or a shout of "run skinny boy run"

Slowly but surely the weather improved and i managed to get to mile 20 then...... WALLOP! that will be the famous "wall" then! my god that hurt, the feet were soaking wet and blistered, the legs wanted to run without actually lifting my feet off of the ground, and because of the soaking i was really really cold. I started thinking that i could walk the rest of the way but that would just take longer so i tried a walk/run/hobble style.

Eventually buckingham palace came into site (and a sign saying 285yds to go!) and i kept going over the line, i wanted to lift my city scarf over my head at the finsh line but my fingers refused to undo the safety pins that were holding it on to my vest. So in stumbled over the line, and the emotions took over. I know you lot will take the pi$$ but i am not ashamed to say that i blubbed like a baby for about 10 minutes whilst walking around trying to find the missus. I don't know if it was the pain or what, but the whole occasion just got to me and i finally realised that i had done it! Get in there my son!!!!

I finally met up with my wife, my mate and his missus, where we thought it would be good time to have a photo of me and the medal, with city scarf aloft, only thing is, a bottle of champers came out and sprayed me (and the scarf!!) lewis hamilton, eat your heart out!

So.... whoever does win the scarf, please look after it, it was my closest companion for 4hrs and 44 mins, it saw every mile, felt every rain drop and drank half the bloody champagne!!!

I will announce the winner of the scarf later on this evening (just to keep up the tension a little bit longer)

Thanks again guys, you really have done yourselves proud

Nik :winner_third_h4h:

Thanks everybody, all of the support i got (and am still getting) really astounds me. During the the race, i was constantly hearing shouts of "cmon Nik" and "up the city" it really helped me try a little harder

. I saw plenty of footie fans on the route, Stoke Hull and Watford were all represented, and ALL of them wished us luck for promotion, not one of them thought we would fail in our quest for the promised land.

I wont bore you with a full run down (scuse the pun) on how it went, but for those of you who are interested........... the first 13 miles went by without a hitch, at this point i was still smiling (even in the cold rain!!) and even thinking about picking up the pace a little. 13-16 miles, i felt a twinge in my left foot (slight tendon injury) but i knew it wasnt serious so i just turned my music up a bit and carried on. Mile 16 Disaster struck!!!!!! right in the middle of "Drink up ye zyder" i was happily plodding along, trying my best to start a mass wurzel singalong when the rain finally got into the MP3 player and it cut out! bugger, i now have 10 miles to go with a soar foot and no MOBO (music of Bristol Origin) to sing along to, the doubts started entering my mind.

Mile 18 and the short spell of sunshine subsided and the heavens opened up with a downpour of sleet and hail, not nice. But this just made everybody make more of an effort and try and keep smiling, i managed to start off a few "ogi ogi ogi" (oy oy oy) shouts so that spirits didnt drop too much. The crowd at this point were fantastic, poor buggers getting soaked and cold, but every few hundred yards i would hear my name called (i should point out that i had my name on my vest, i'm not really that popular!!) or a shout of "run skinny boy run"

Slowly but surely the weather improved and i managed to get to mile 20 then...... WALLOP! that will be the famous "wall" then! my god that hurt, the feet were soaking wet and blistered, the legs wanted to run without actually lifting my feet off of the ground, and because of the soaking i was really really cold. I started thinking that i could walk the rest of the way but that would just take longer so i tried a walk/run/hobble style.

Eventually buckingham palace came into site (and a sign saying 285yds to go!) and i kept going over the line, i wanted to lift my city scarf over my head at the finsh line but my fingers refused to undo the safety pins that were holding it on to my vest. So in stumbled over the line, and the emotions took over. I know you lot will take the pi$$ but i am not ashamed to say that i blubbed like a baby for about 10 minutes whilst walking around trying to find the missus. I don't know if it was the pain or what, but the whole occasion just got to me and i finally realised that i had done it! Get in there my son!!!!

I finally met up with my wife, my mate and his missus, where we thought it would be good time to have a photo of me and the medal, with city scarf aloft, only thing is, a bottle of champers came out and sprayed me (and the scarf!!) lewis hamilton, eat your heart out!

So.... whoever does win the scarf, please look after it, it was my closest companion for 4hrs and 44 mins, it saw every mile, felt every rain drop and drank half the bloody champagne!!!

I will announce the winner of the scarf later on this evening (just to keep up the tension a little bit longer)

Can you post the picture Nik?

Good post Nik, and congrats on how you done.

When can i pick my scarf up then :laugh::laugh::laugh:;)

And the winner is.............

i have tried to randomely pick a name from the hat to decide who deserves the scarf, but there was no way i could think of a fair way to do it... so......... i have assigned everybody on the list a number (it will become obvious later!) so can somebody please pick a number from 1 to 35. before you try and work out the system, it aint as easy as top sponsor (dolls) being 1 and second sponsor (bobby) being 2, once a number is picked i will anounce the winner.

good luck to everybody! :fingerscrossed:

Good post Nik, and congrats on how you done.

When can i pick my scarf up then :laugh::laugh::laugh:;)

respect for your finishing the marathon Nik..i know what you went through as ive done the Marathon 4 times to date and can imagine the pain you went through..still chap well done..if youre up for it next year i,ll gladly take you up on a City-Rovers challenge..should be a laugh for all..even though it was a small amount i sponsored you with with everyones help you managed to raise a tidy amount i should imagine sir..well done again. :englandflag:

i have tried to randomely pick a name from the hat to decide who deserves the scarf, but there was no way i could think of a fair way to do it... so......... i have assigned everybody on the list a number (it will become obvious later!) so can somebody please pick a number from 1 to 35. before you try and work out the system, it aint as easy as top sponsor (dolls) being 1 and second sponsor (bobby) being 2, once a number is picked i will anounce the winner.

How about Pming someone like Dave L and asking him to pick a number.

Well done Nik for finishing the marathon in a great time. :winner_third_h4h:

Have you got any piccies to post on here of you running/finishing the race in your BCFC colours? :icecream:

Archived