IGNORED

Players Who Arent Good Enough

andy g

If you've been reading the forum all season, you'll have probably learnt by now that the following players just arent good enough...

Basso, Orr, McAllister, McCombe, Johnson, Sproule, McIndoe, Trundle, Adebola, Brooker, (bizarrely he got criticism before he'd even started in the CCC !) Murray

i've missed a few out there, but all in all, its amazing how well we've done !

Louis Carey and Marvin Elliott must be in line for World Player of the year, because he's clearly got us to the brink of promotion single-handedly !

Come on, i know its a nervy time for bcfc fans at the moment, but we're not THAT bad and every player is going to have an off-spell now and again. And we're not where we are in the table by accident.

If you've been reading the forum all season, you'll have probably learnt by now that the following players just arent good enough...

Basso, Orr, McAllister, McCombe, Johnson, Sproule, McIndoe, Trundle, Adebola, Brooker, (bizarrely he got criticism before he'd even started in the CCC !) Murray

i've missed a few out there, but all in all, its amazing how well we've done !

Louis Carey and Marvin Elliott must be in line for World Player of the year, because he's clearly got us to the brink of promotion single-handedly !

Come on, i know its a nervy time for bcfc fans at the moment, but we're not THAT bad and every player is going to have an off-spell now and again. And we're not where we are in the table by accident.

Someone bored at work :fish::dunno:

he's got a point though

Not really. Everyone has one or two players that they think aren't up to scratch. They're just different players for everybody so on a forum with thousands of posters pretty much every player gets mentioned at one time or another. It's not surprising.

I think should we remain in the CCC this year, we should be replacing over the summer -

Right back

Right wing

centre forward

I'd be happy with us to keep

Basso, McAllister, Carey (for another season but sooner or later he'll be too old), Fontaine, McIndoe, Elliott, Carle, Johnson Jnr, Adebola, Brooker

Players not up to it

Orr, Trundle (I'm sorry to say unless something magical happens), Sproule, McCombe (gets beat far too often, too flat footed), Murray (too old now), Byfield, Betsy, Showumni

Next year if we don't go up then we may not have the momentum from promotion to keep us up right at the top so I think with some key replacements, there is no reason why we can't stay up there in our own right.

If we keep exactly the same squad we won't be top 5 next season I don't think. But I don't believe Johnson has any intention of keeping the status quo.

If we go up then whole lot more changes would be needed.

Indeed, I'd be happy to keep for sure Basso, Elliott, perhaps Carey but he is getting older maybe Brooker and the young defernders in our academy, Riberio and Wilson. Perhaps Vasko and Fontaine too as cover?

I think there'd be a role for McIndoe and Fontaine as well.

Fontaine for me has come on leaps and bounds. The very foundation of our success this season for me has been built on the Carey-Fontaine partnership.

I don't know why we have moved away from it.

I think there'd be a role for McIndoe and Fontaine as well.

Fontaine for me has come on leaps and bounds. The very foundation of our success this season for me has been built on the Carey-Fontaine partnership.

I don't know why we have moved away from it.

True true, my only major concern with McIndoe is his seemingly lack of pace.

We really do need a creative midfield player who can pick out a pass, Lee Johnson is still our most creative MFR and Carle has not shown me anything SO FAR that suggests he is any better than Noble/Johnson Jnr.

As Trundle is under contract for another couple of seasons why not try him as a CRM, he has the vision for it.

BCAGFC

I think should we remain in the CCC this year, we should be replacing over the summer -

Right back

Right wing

centre forward

I agree with that, Orr worries me defensivly, Sproule has no football brain (what i'd do for pace like that), need partner for Brooks (Earnshaw or Lisbie IMO)

Out:

Orr - Love his desire and passion for the City but been found wanting defensively and technically at this level.

Vasko - Hasn't made enough of an impact for me. Looks lost by the pace of the game and hasn't done enough to warrant making his loan permanent.

Keogh - Refused to sign a new contract and has no future. Shame because he's class in my book.

Murray - Legend and want him to continue in a coaching role with the club but doesn't offer us anything anymore I'm afraid.

Betsy - Was one dimensional in League One and nowhere near good enough for the Championship.

Russell - Superb player but cleraly not in GJ's plans due to his age.

Byfield -Scored some important goals earlier in the season but not what we need.

Trundle - Been found out at this level, hasn't lived up to his price tag and age isn't on his side either.

Showunmi - League One player, simple.

We need to strenghten at centre back, right-back, creative central midfield, right-wing and up front.

I'm happy with Fontaine and Carey's partnership and think McCombe isn't a bad reserve to have but we do need another decent centre-half to put pressure on these two.

Ribeiro or Wilson could be the answer at right-back so we may not need to improve it but both need to be given chances to stake a claim.

It's clear for most of us to see that in LJ's absence we've struggled. I admit to being one of the nepotism callers early on but we need genuine back-up for this as I'm yet to be convinced Carle offers anything to the midfield.

Sproule started his City career well but has gone right off the boil. Still think he'd be a good squad player but it'd be nice to think with Betsy and Murray most likely to be on their way that a player of decent calibre will be brought in to compete.

Where do I start with the strikers? We've had over 20 different players play this role since GJ's been here and haven't found one that's played the majority of games in a season.

Trunds, Byfield, Showumi, Brooks, Jevons, Dele, Smith, Quinn, McCammon Savage, Madjo, Stewart, Cotterill, Bridges, Gillespie, Andrew, Andrews, JMW, Corr, Sproule, Noble and Carle but to name a few have all tried and failed to fill the position. I'd like to think Brooker and Dele will start the season here but at least two decent strikers at this level need to be brought in and given a chance to form a partnership.

Out:

Orr - Love his desire and passion for the City but been found wanting defensively and technically at this level.

Vasko - Hasn't made enough of an impact for me. Looks lost by the pace of the game and hasn't done enough to warrant making his loan permanent.

Keogh - Refused to sign a new contract and has no future. Shame because he's class in my book.

Murray - Legend and want him to continue in a coaching role with the club but doesn't offer us anything anymore I'm afraid.

Betsy - Was one dimensional in League One and nowhere near good enough for the Championship.

Russell - Superb player but cleraly not in GJ's plans due to his age.

Byfield -Scored some important goals earlier in the season but not what we need.

Trundle - Been found out at this level, hasn't lived up to his price tag and age isn't on his side either.

Showunmi - League One player, simple.

We need to strenghten at centre back, right-back, creative central midfield, right-wing and up front.

I'm happy with Fontaine and Carey's partnership and think McCombe isn't a bad reserve to have but we do need another decent centre-half to put pressure on these two.

Ribeiro or Wilson could be the answer at right-back so we may not need to improve it but both need to be given chances to stake a claim.

It's clear for most of us to see that in LJ's absence we've struggled. I admit to being one of the nepotism callers early on but we need genuine back-up for this as I'm yet to be convinced Carle offers anything to the midfield.

Sproule started his City career well but has gone right off the boil. Still think he'd be a good squad player but it'd be nice to think with Betsy and Murray most likely to be on their way that a player of decent calibre will be brought in to compete.

Where do I start with the strikers? We've had over 20 different players play this role since GJ's been here and haven't found one that's played the majority of games in a season.

Trunds, Byfield, Showumi, Brooks, Jevons, Dele, Smith, Quinn, McCammon Savage, Madjo, Stewart, Cotterill, Bridges, Gillespie, Andrew, Andrews, JMW, Corr, Sproule, Noble and Carle but to name a few have all tried and failed to fill the position. I'd like to think Brooker and Dele will start the season here but at least two decent strikers at this level need to be brought in and given a chance to form a partnership.

I think your last sentance has pretty much summed up the problem with the strikers.. A couple of them need a chance to form a partnership. IMO that would take at least 5 - 10 games.. I would love to see Ribeiro given a run at right back. Love Bradleys passion to bits, but he is weak defensively. He could put a bit of bite into the right wing position though...

I think your last sentance has pretty much summed up the problem with the strikers.. A couple of them need a chance to form a partnership. IMO that would take at least 5 - 10 games.. I would love to see Ribeiro given a run at right back. Love Bradleys passion to bits, but he is weak defensively. He could put a bit of bite into the right wing position though...

Could it just be

There not much wrong with our forwards??

Its the midfield which is to lightweight (bar Elliott)

and creates very little which should be looked at

Could it just be

There not much wrong with our forwards??

Its the midfield which is to lightweight (bar Elliott)

and creates very little which should be looked at

Agree, they don't create very much for the forwards which mean they have to drop deep looking for the ball.. We need to get down the flanks abit more and get some decent crosses in, not pass to the keeper which happened alot on saturday.. We are REALLY missing Lee Johnson at the moment IMO..

Agree, they don't create very much for the forwards which mean they have to drop deep looking for the ball.. We need to get down the flanks abit more and get some decent crosses in, not pass to the keeper which happened alot on saturday.. We are REALLY missing Lee Johnson at the moment IMO..

We need a player who can play along side Elliott in a 4 man midfield

Sorry but LJ isnt that man

In a 5 he does a job but in a 4 way to lightweight

u forgot noble

not sure if this is the time or place, but potentially there are 2 league 1 strikers who have been mentioned before who we should be able to bring in, particularly if their clubs are relegated - Vokes and Maynard. Both young, and are much covetted and could be good for us in the championship. If we went up we would need more experience though.

not sure if this is the time or place, but potentially there are 2 league 1 strikers who have been mentioned before who we should be able to bring in, particularly if their clubs are relegated - Vokes and Maynard. Both young, and are much covetted and could be good for us in the championship. If we went up we would need more experience though.

Vokes was looked at in Jan, but was felt not to be ready yet, be interesting what happens with him in the summer especailly considering Bouremouth's problems.

Maynard is a FANTASTIC young forward who regardless of what league we are in, I would love us to bring in.

Mine ....... all mine ;)

We really do need a creative midfield player who can pick out a pass, Lee Johnson is still our most creative MFR and Carle has not shown me anything SO FAR that suggests he is any better than Noble/Johnson Jnr.

As Trundle is under contract for another couple of seasons why not try him as a CRM, he has the vision for it.

BCAGFC

We have a creative, scoring, tackling midfielder called Artus. We were told by GJ in November 2006 that he was very very close to selection, [ GJ's words ]. Now in his 20th year and a class above when played in reserves. Not a word from GJ about the freeze, quite frankly I don't get it. There have been 2 posts suggesting Artus has a drinking problem, but that has not been confirmed by a reputable source. The last time I saw him he was ready and better than every other midfielder other than an in form Elliot. Whats the plot GJ, your very very close to selection comment nearly one and a half years ago demands an answer or at least a comment as to his future.

Vokes was looked at in Jan, but was felt not to be ready yet, be interesting what happens with him in the summer especailly considering Bouremouth's problems.

Maynard is a FANTASTIC young forward who regardless of what league we are in, I would love us to bring in.

Not too sure about Vokes but Maynard is a must for us in the summer. He's proved he's over the niggling injuries that've plagued his season and has got something like 9 goals in his last 6.

I'd also be looking at Danny Webber who seems surplus to requirements at Sheff Utd. He'd be available for under £500k-£1m and would bring pace and valuable Championship experience plus he's still got his good years to come.

We have a creative, scoring, tackling midfielder called Artus. We were told by GJ in November 2006 that he was very very close to selection, [ GJ's words ]. Now in his 20th year and a class above when played in reserves. Not a word from GJ about the freeze, quite frankly I don't get it. There have been 2 posts suggesting Artus has a drinking problem, but that has not been confirmed by a reputable source. The last time I saw him he was ready and better than every other midfielder other than an in form Elliot. Whats the plot GJ, your very very close to selection comment nearly one and a half years ago demands an answer or at least a comment as to his future.

My normal source wont comment on this matter other than he is a good, naturally skillful player, but i too have heard through the grapevine that there is a fitness / booze problem here. I did hear mention of the sporting chance clinic too, but that could just be speculation. Couple that with an average spell at exeter and it's possible GJ spoke too soon.

These are the reasons why he isn't in the side after a very promising start.

It wouldn't surprise me if this is chinese whipsers again. People put together the fact that he missed the flight to Riga last summer and come up with this old chestnut. Be good to see more Bristolian players coming through but maybe there's no smoke without fire in this case... :dunno:

Guest Patdfb

Wheres all this striker hate coming from, i said in Jan, and ill say it again. Form what ive seen we play with one , some times two strikers up front.. the chnaces they get are minimal and the Goalsshould be coming from all over over the team.. A 6 billion goal striker is not going to score if he doesnt get any service... :grr:

Maynard is decent but not fantastic and the £2m price tag will put us off. He won't be coming here.

Maynard was only fit enough to manage 27 starts in the whole of last season and has made just 22 so far this, he is currently in great scoring form but his injury record is about one up from Lee Mathews....

Maynard was only fit enough to manage 27 starts in the whole of last season and has made just 22 so far this, he is currently in great scoring form but his injury record is about one up from Lee Mathews....

Indeed, he also takes a good few games to get going after his injury spells and hasn't looked as much of a good player without Varney.

He's out of our price range anyhow and if he weren't there are better ways to spend that money.

Indeed, he also takes a good few games to get going after his injury spells and hasn't looked as much of a good player without Varney.

He's out of our price range anyhow and if he weren't there are better ways to spend that money.

totally disagree about his fitness issues, fair enough he missed 4 months earlier this season after breaking his Leg opening day of the season which can happen to anyone, but you can't go comparing him to Lee Matthews because of that,

last season he was he didn't have any injury problems of note, he started 32 (6sub) getting 19 goals, and despite having to compete with Varney and Rodney Jack for a place in the team in his first pro season.

although Varney has gone, after coming back from his injury and yes despite a slow start (ala Brooker) but he's still got 12 goals in 22 starts this season, which despite Crewe being terrible this season, is a bloody good record.

still only 21, he's pacy forward, who knows where the goal is and has grown up with the Dario Gradi mentality which can only be a good thing, I think personally it would be utter madness not to be look at him, even at £2m regardless of what division we are in, and I'd be fairly sure that he is a name on Pete Johnson's list, no doubt along with many other clubs.

last season he was he didn't have any injury problems of note,

Yes he did, he was out for about a month twice. He has had two separate injuries this season. Someone who gets injuries like that at such a young age gets them throughout their career.

he started 32 (6sub) getting 19 goals, and despite having to compete with Varney and Rodney Jack for a place in the team in his first pro season.

although Varney has gone, after coming back from his injury and yes despite a slow start (ala Brooker) but he's still got 12 goals in 22 starts this season, which despite Crewe being terrible this season, is a bloody good record.

still only 21, he's pacy forward, who knows where the goal is and has grown up with the Dario Gradi mentality which can only be a good thing, I think personally it would be utter madness not to be look at him, even at £2m regardless of what division we are in, and I'd be fairly sure that he is a name on Pete Johnson's list, no doubt along with many other clubs.

£2m is out of our price range by a long way if we're still in this division, we're going to be making a £3m+ loss on this season.

In actuality it was Varney who was on PJ's list until they saw that price tag also Crewe only sold Varney so they could keep Maynard and drive his price higher.

Even if we did have £2m to spend, that sort of eggs in one basket approach is what would be utter madness, it's just not value for money compared to looking overseas.

Archived