IGNORED

Two Sides Of The Same Coin...

SimplyRed

The coin is Bristol City FC, our support for it and desire for it to be successful. Both sides of the coin want that.

The two sides are:

1. Those who think we've had an unexpected and tremendous season and will be happy and have no complaints whatever happens, even if we stay in the CCC. They believe Johnson has done a fantastic job and probably worry that we may lose him if we fail to get promotion. They hate to hear any criticism levelled at Johnson because of our form in the last 8/9 games and will not lay any blame at his feet.

2. Those who think we've had an unexpected and tremendous season and are really pleased we're challenging for promotion rather than fighting for survival and that Johnson has done a fantastic job, BUT... are really frustrated that - having got this far - we seem to have faded at the last hurdle and feel that Johnson should have strengthened in the January window instead of trying to be faithful to his squad.

I am firmly in the side 2 scenario.

There is a culture (perhaps disease is the right word) in this country that says it's ok to take part and lose, because the important thing is taking part.

Generally, as a country (perhaps it's our Britishness) we are not winners, and any organisation (or person) that are ruthless winners are despised and criticised (eg. Man Utd) for their so-called arrogance, especially by the media, who place them on pedestals for the sole purpose of knocking them off.

In order to improve and eventually win, you MUST have a winning mentality and to accept failure with a shrug of the shoulders and a glib "Well, we tried" is a cop-out.

We should NOT accept ANY failure, even if the opportunity to succeed is unexpected. Every opportunity should be grabbed with both hands and driven unrelentlessly to its required conclusion.

We, as fans, have a duty to drive that mentality - to not accept failure, to be relentless in our desire for our club to be successful. It is us, and our satisfaction with the team, that drives the manager and board to make the changes required for success.

That's why I was gobsmacked when Johnson said, in his comments after the Southampton game, "They wanted it more than us". How can that be? How can a team fighting relegation have more desire to survive than the desire we have to be successful?

Our fans sing, as part of their regular chants, "By far the greatest team, the world has ever seen", but how many of us has a desire to see that really come true? How can we even sing that when we are willing to pat ourselves on the back in May and say "Great season - what a shame we never made it"?

We'll all be there next year, supporting the club, regardless of the league we are playing in - we all want the same metaphorical coin - it's just how we perceive the route to grabbing that coin that differs.

If promotion does pass us by, I think the majority of fans - including those of us on side 2 of the coin - will say that it's been a "fabulous and successful" season and will look forward to the new season with genuine enthusiasm. But unless we, as fans, make it clear that we expect a season upon season improvement, we could well end up with an over-confident manager/board that do not strengthen the team as much as they should during the summer and end up struggling next year - THAT is my fear.

The side 1's might call us side 2's impatient or fickle, but I would rather see it as keeping the club management on their toes and letting them know our aspirations and desires.

The coin is Bristol City FC, our support for it and desire for it to be successful. Both sides of the coin want that.

The two sides are:

1. Those who think we've had an unexpected and tremendous season and will be happy and have no complaints whatever happens, even if we stay in the CCC. They believe Johnson has done a fantastic job and probably worry that we may lose him if we fail to get promotion. They hate to hear any criticism levelled at Johnson because of our form in the last 8/9 games and will not lay any blame at his feet.

2. Those who think we've had an unexpected and tremendous season and are really pleased we're challenging for promotion rather than fighting for survival and that Johnson has done a fantastic job, BUT... are really frustrated that - having got this far - we seem to have faded at the last hurdle and feel that Johnson should have strengthened in the January window instead of trying to be faithful to his squad.

There is a culture (perhaps disease is the right word) in this country that says it's ok to take part and lose, because the important thing is taking part.

Generally, as a country (perhaps it's our Britishness) we are not winners, and any organisation (or person) that are ruthless winners are despised and criticised (eg. Man Utd) for their so-called arrogance, especially by the media, who place them on pedestals for the sole purpose of knocking them off.

In order to improve and eventually win, you MUST have a winning mentality and to accept failure with a shrug of the shoulders and a glib "Well, we tried" is a cop-out.

We should NOT accept ANY failure, even if the opportunity to succeed is unexpected. Every opportunity should be grabbed with both hands and driven unrelentlessly to its required conclusion.

We, as fans, have a duty to drive that mentality - to not accept failure, to be relentless in our desire for our club to be successful. It is us, and our satisfaction with the team, that drives the manager and board to make the changes required for success.

That's why I was gobsmacked when Johnson said, in his comments after the Southampton game, "They wanted it more than us". How can that be? How can a team fighting relegation have more desire to survive than the desire we have to be successful?

Our fans sing, as part of their regular chants, "By far the greatest team, the world has ever seen", but how many of us has a desire to see that really come true? How can we even sing that when we are willing to pat ourselves on the back in May and say "Great season - what a shame we never made it"?

We'll all be there next year, supporting the club, regardless of the league we are playing in - we all want the same metaphorical coin - it's just how we perceive the route to grabbing that coin that differs.

If promotion does pass us by, I think the majority of fans - including those of us on side 2 of the coin - will say that it's been a "fabulous and successful" season and will look forward to the new season with genuine enthusiasm. But unless we, as fans, make it clear that we expect a season upon season improvement, we could well end up with an over-confident manager/board that do not strengthen the team as much as they should during the summer and end up struggling next year - THAT is my fear.

The side 1's might call us side 2's impatient or fickle, but I would rather see it as keeping the club management on their toes and letting them know our aspirations and desires.

What about?

3 Those who think we've had an unexpected and tremendous season and are really pleased we're challenging for promotion rather than fighting for survival and that Johnson has done a fantastic job, BUT... are really frustrated that - having got this far - supporters like yourself seem to have thrown in the towel instead of trying to be supportive to his squad.

You may be right what you say but as long as there is a possibility of promotion, I believe it is our duty as supporters to get behind the boys and give them as much help as we can. If we fall short, then what didnt happen in January and the subsequent loan period can be disected later - it wont make any difference at the end of the season, what will be will be.

What about?

3 Those who think we've had an unexpected and tremendous season and are really pleased we're challenging for promotion rather than fighting for survival and that Johnson has done a fantastic job, BUT... are really frustrated that - having got this far - supporters like yourself seem to have thrown in the towel instead of trying to be supportive to his squad.

You may be right what you say but as long as there is a possibility of promotion, I believe it is our duty as supporters to get behind the boys and give them as much help as we can. If we fall short, then what didnt happen in January and the subsequent loan period can be disected later - it wont make any difference at the end of the season, what will be will be.

Great reply and 100% agree!!

We CAN still get top 2 (Unlikely i admit!)

We CAN still go up via the play offs!!

We can talk about what went wrong, when and if things do go wrong :noexpression:

Great reply and 100% agree!!

We CAN still get top 2 (Unlikely i admit!)

We CAN still go up via the play offs!!

We can talk about what went wrong, when and if things do go wrong :noexpression:

But it really isnt that unlikely.

Results go our way tonight.

We beat Stoke.

How different does the table look then.

But it really isnt that unlikely.

Results go our way tonight.

We beat Stoke.

How different does the table look then.

Exactly mate!! Things have been changing all season every week!! And i expect that to continue right till 4:45 on May 4th.

I would say Saturday is the biggest game, well at least since ive followed them! 1990!!

Box number 2.

Said in a post months ago that just because we expected mediocrity doesnt mean we should settle for it.

I said at the time, failing to finish in the top 6 would be a disgrace. And stand by that.

This League is dogshit.

This League is dogshit.

Clarify Please

Do you mean your considered opinion is that this league is below par, if so please explain, why it is.

This League is dogshit.

Clarify Please

Do you mean your considered opinion is that this league is below par, if so please explain, why it is.

This League is very poor.

I think everyone knows it.

Reading of 2 seasons ago would have won 46 games in this League.

The two sides are:

What a fantastic post and I agree 100% with everything you say. I can also comfortably say that I am firmly in box 2 as well.

However, I can't stand all this bickering between the two sets of opinions and the "bullying" that goes on against certain members of this forum who do not conform to their way of thinking. We all have different opinions and that will never change.

My opinion regarding the season and how the season is panning out is that plain and simply, City have thrown away the best opportunity we have to reach the Premier League. Now, don't get me wrong, I think City have had a fantastic season and have far exceeded my and many expectations, but when you put yourself into a great position with less than 10 games to go, you bloody well fight to achieve it. I'm not saying I don't think they could get promotion, it just looks very unlikely that they will now.

I will never be one of these "happy clapper" brigades who hide behind the fact we are messing up and therefore hide behind the "its been a fantastic season whatever happens analagy", as I, like many others are just frustrated, realistic, concerned and (perhaps), can see more clearly about how the season is panning out.

Remember this is my opinion and I honestly do hope with all my heart that City can do it and take us to the Premier League. But lets try to shake this LOSERS attitude we have at BCFC and therefore be upset, frustrated and angry if we don't achieve anything this season. Without having this attitude within the BCFC community, we will never be able to achieve anything as we will always be pleased with second best to what we can be and never the best we CAN be.

The two sides are:

Interesting and I agree because..........

Some years ago when I was working I had dinner with Lynn Davies the long jumper - he had just come back from the Olympics where he got nothing by his standards.

The press had pilloried him for not trying but his explanation to me was - when Beaman went out of the ( longjump ) pit I knew I could not win. I was not interested in being second or third - that attitude was why I had won everything in the past. The problem with us Brits is that we still believe that taking part is everything and that silver or bronze is success.

Good losers do not win anything.

Some of the happy clappies need to think on his comments - ( IMO of course ) !

To clarify...... someone has your coin???? or you've lost it??

Is it a pound coin or 50p coin? or maybe even 20p coin?

Maybe its not even english currency?

I think Riaz, that it is of the currency Grumpy.

I think somebody needs to top up Mr Hucknall's half empty glass with half a pint of "we were in the third tier last season and yes we are doing bl**dy great"

Archived