IGNORED

Anybody Else Get Frustrated With Bristol's Cyclists?

Redminster

Before I get slated, I am not anti cycling or cyclists. I don't commute by cycle because when I'm in Bristol I live close enough to walk to town and when I'm in Cheltenham it's obviously not close enough to cycle!

Today was yet another occasion when a cyclist took an insane risk to shave a few seconds off his journey and was mightily annoyed when I nearly side-swiped him. He appeared from nowhere when I was around the Triangle and undertook me when I was changing lanes (I was indicating I may add). He then gave me a volley of 4 letter abuse.

I have seen cyclists on Bedminster bridge roundabout nearly crash into motorists on many occasions when the cyclist has run the red light or moves off from a red light before it has changed. I also remember an occasion when I was driving up Gloucester road, indicating left and moved across to turn left and a cyclist, ignoring my indication, tried to undertake me on the left and then had to take evasive action to avoid crashing into me.

Let me reiterate that I'm not anti cyclists and am quite happy for them to share the roads if they obey traffic signals and don't take insane risks. I also have seen plenty of motorists running red lights. It just worries me that the dangers for cyclists are far more real at slow impact speed than for car drivers.

Thoughts?

Before I get slated, I am not anti cycling or cyclists. I don't commute by cycle because when I'm in Bristol I live close enough to walk to town and when I'm in Cheltenham it's obviously not close enough to cycle!

Today was yet another occasion when a cyclist took an insane risk to shave a few seconds off his journey and was mightily annoyed when I nearly side-swiped him. He appeared from nowhere when I was around the Triangle and undertook me when I was changing lanes (I was indicating I may add). He then gave me a volley of 4 letter abuse.

I have seen cyclists on Bedminster bridge roundabout nearly crash into motorists on many occasions when the cyclist has run the red light or moves off from a red light before it has changed. I also remember an occasion when I was driving up Gloucester road, indicating left and moved across to turn left and a cyclist, ignoring my indication, tried to undertake me on the left and then had to take evasive action to avoid crashing into me.

Let me reiterate that I'm not anti cyclists and am quite happy for them to share the roads if they obey traffic signals and don't take insane risks. I also have seen plenty of motorists running red lights. It just worries me that the dangers for cyclists are far more real at slow impact speed than for car drivers.

Thoughts?

100 points for a side swipe,250 for a front ender, 300, for rear impact, jackpot for a tandem any which way, no, seriously i must admit there appears to be unwritten laws for cyclists, there not all bad but its the ones with half a rugby ball on their heads and ginger beards that seem to stand out, or do i keep meeting the same nutter

Why is it every time I come across a cyclist it happens to be in a place where I can't easily pass them and end up having to drive slowly behind them until I can easily pass. The moped riders are no better mind you.

I also remember an occasion when I was driving up Gloucester road, indicating left and moved across to turn left and a cyclist, ignoring my indication, tried to undertake me on the left and then had to take evasive action to avoid crashing into me.

Thoughts?

I do sympathise with you on this issue because there are a lot of cyclists that seem like they don't have any consideration or clue how to use the roads, it's annoying because I do also like to cycle and there are those who give cycling a bad rep.

However in the instance you mention it sounds like you cut up the cyclist, it is not a safe manouvre to overtake a cyclist approaching a junction especially if you intend to turn into the said junction!

Word of advice, when I drive just give cyclists a bit more time and space, let them pass. The ones who jump red lights should definately be penalised I agree.

I do sympathise with you on this issue because there are a lot of cyclists that seem like they don't have any consideration or clue how to use the roads, it's annoying because I do also like to cycle and there are those who give cycling a bad rep.

However in the instance you mention it sounds like you cut up the cyclist, it is not a safe manouvre to overtake a cyclist approaching a junction especially if you intend to turn into the said junction!

Word of advice, when I drive just give cyclists a bit more time and space, let them pass. The ones who jump red lights should definately be penalised I agree.

No, you've got the wrong end of the stick on that one. Driving faster than a cyclist on Gloucester Road? That would only ever happen in the small hours! :innocent06:

I was actually only going along at crawling pace, I hadn't overtaken the cyclist and the cyclist was overtaking cars along the inside, and tried to do the same to me.

No, you've got the wrong end of the stick on that one. Driving faster than a cyclist on Gloucester Road? That would only ever happen in the small hours! :innocent06:

I was actually only going along at crawling pace, I hadn't overtaken the cyclist and the cyclist was overtaking cars along the inside, and tried to do the same to me.

Sounds like you didn't check your passenger side mirror to me and turned left without a thought for the cyclist. Were you singing your heart out to your Gloria Estefan greatest hits CD at the time and perhaps lost concentration?

Sounds like you didn't check your passenger side mirror to me and turned left without a thought for the cyclist.

Now that one thought just sums up cyclists for me.... it's never their fault is it?!

They ride along pavements; through red lights; they don't bother about using lights at night; they never signal; they never obey One-Way streets... basically the vast majority just ride around with no thoughts of the Highway Code at all.

And then have the cheek to suggest it's the driver's fault for apparently not considering another road user might be UNDERtaking him?

Now that one thought just sums up cyclists for me.... it's never their fault is it?!

They ride along pavements; through red lights; they don't bother about using lights at night; they never signal; they never obey One-Way streets... basically the vast majority just ride around with no thoughts of the Highway Code at all.

And then have the cheek to suggest it's the driver's fault for apparently not considering another road user might be UNDERtaking him?

I have the (mis)fortune of knowing Redminster so it was a cheap swipe at him (the Gloria Estefan CD bit was true btw).

In my eperience cyclists believe they can get away with anything and are a hazard to motorists and pedestrians. Have you ever taken a stroll along the Bristol to Bath railway path? The vast majority of cyclists think this is purely for their own use and race along it at ridiculous speeds without a thought for any walkers or runners who have the nerve to use it. It's a death trap and if you dare question their behaviour you generally get a torrent of abuse directed back at you. For that reason alone I was hoping the council would stick a bloody great bus lane down it.

I used to cycle down Bridge vally road in the mornings and overtake every car.. Could tell it used to upset the fat car drivers, maybe they should cycle too, they might lose some weight.

Now I'd be impressed if you said you cycled UP Bridge Valley Road. :laugh:

I have the (mis)fortune of knowing Redminster so it was a cheap swipe at him (the Gloria Estefan CD bit was true btw).

In my eperience cyclists believe they can get away with anything and are a hazard to motorists and pedestrians. Have you ever taken a stroll along the Bristol to Bath railway path? The vast majority of cyclists think this is purely for their own use and race along it at ridiculous speeds without a thought for any walkers or runners who have the nerve to use it. It's a death trap and if you dare question their behaviour you generally get a torrent of abuse directed back at you. For that reason alone I was hoping the council would stick a bloody great bus lane down it.

Nah Gloria Estefan isn't really my style. My preferred cheesy Latin American pop hero is Ricky Martin. :ph34r:

The problem with some cyclists is that because the general consensus (correctly) is what they are doing is good, and car drivers are evil (sometimes true), some act as if they're above road and traffic regulations. The thing is, if they take risks, they are the ones most in danger.

Yep it is very annoying for the cyclists who ignore the lights and cycle without caring and giving every other cyclist's a bad reputation.Although most of the time I don't enjoy cycling because of cars think it's their own road and not to share( just how I feel ). But of course Redminister I don't agree with cyclists who don't use the highway code as they are supposed to.

Archived