IGNORED

Petition

loudred4ever

I suggested in a different thread that I thought there was a case for playing brooks up the middle and have trundle playing middle of midfield as our creative player. I fully expect to get slammed by the regulars on the forum for even thinking this.

My reasoning is simply that we have Marv and Carle who could provide the tackling element (as long as NC doesnt do it in our box - heart attack moment!), but we are all looking around for a creative force (the man who can play 2-3 killer passes that could be enough in a game). Mcindoe is a puffball with no end product (never in the history of football has someone talked so big and delivered so little :preacher: ) but might be better if his principal role is to win ball rather than do anything with it (he could still, conceivably make the break and get down the line on occasion). Step forward, Mr Trundle :juggle: . There are lots of examples of quality attacking midfield players who aren't lightening fast but can see a pass - I think Lee could be one of those.

If I cant have my way on this one, I'll settle for your brooks - trundle partnership up front!

Guest ashtonyate

I really am amazed at this post I have watch Trundle all season long we started of playing him as an out and striker he was getting beating to the ball by defenders needed to much time and to many touches to control it.

Then Johnson moved him back a bit in the hole in midfield its was better because he had more space but was still to slow and infective he was given the nod at Cardiff and did not perform so how fans can come up with his inclusion at stoke I will never know.

It must be clutching at straws he may have scored a hat trick last night but look at the opposition I will make one other point if Stewart had been given as much support as Trundle a player who could have signed for other teams for more money than we paid him he would have been far better than Trundle here.

I really am amazed at this post I have watch Trundle all season long we started of playing him as an out and striker he was getting beating to the ball by defenders needed to much time and to many touches to control it.

Then Johnson moved him back a bit in the hole in midfield its was better because he had more space but was still to slow and infective he was given the nod at Cardiff and did not perform so how fans can come up with his inclusion at stoke I will never know.

It must be clutching at straws he may have scored a hat trick last night but look at the opposition I will make one other point if Stewart had been given as much support as Trundle a player who could have signed for other teams for more money than we paid him he would have been far better than Trundle here.

how many times has he been played with a geninue target man?

Your point is well made. Where's the creativity, that we so obviously lack, going to come from? I think you're right that a few of us are looking around the squad and conclude (possibly against all the evidence to date) that Trundle is the only player with a touch.

And before anyone makes the comment...No, we don't know better than GJ...this is a discussion thread!

I agree with a few of the posters in that if we play a big target man we will lose the game. If we played Adebola, this would give our full backs and centre halfs the easy ball option, involving a large boot down the field to clear it. This is what Stoke want, a long ball physical game.

To win, in my opinion, we need to do a 'maginot line' and get around the sides. If we play infront of Stoke, we won't thave the quality to break them down. Sproule and McIndoe are key to winning - if they somehow regain some form/confidence or have a lucky day, we are in with a shout. The midfield and defence need to be solid, there's no point going gung ho and losing the game in the first 60 minutes.

Keep it short and simple. Get it wide, and get those crosses in - easy!

As for the front two, it should be Brooker and either Byfield or Trundle.

Your point is well made. Where's the creativity, that we so obviously lack, going to come from? I think you're right that a few of us are looking around the squad and conclude (possibly against all the evidence to date) that Trundle is the only player with a touch.

And before anyone makes the comment...No, we don't know better than GJ...this is a discussion thread!

The problem is that if theres one thing we know about Stoke is that they are big, strong and they are going to run for 90 minutes. Trundle may well have the best touch but we have seen in just about every game he has played that if he has got a determined centre back playing against him, he doesnt get a kick. If he plays, he wont win a header and he will be pushed off the ball, leaving Brooker to try to do the donkey work, which will be a pretty tough job for any striker in this league.

I would love to be proved wrong, but I just cant see Trundle doing himself any justice. I don't know what the answer is, maybe brooker and adebola, at least we will have strength defending set pieces with those 2.

I agree with a few of the posters in that if we play a big target man we will lose the game. If we played Adebola, this would give our full backs and centre halfs the easy ball option, involving a large boot down the field to clear it. This is what Stoke want, a long ball physical game.

To win, in my opinion, we need to do a 'maginot line' and get around the sides. If we play infront of Stoke, we won't thave the quality to break them down. Sproule and McIndoe are key to winning - if they somehow regain some form/confidence or have a lucky day, we are in with a shout. The midfield and defence need to be solid, there's no point going gung ho and losing the game in the first 60 minutes.

Keep it short and simple. Get it wide, and get those crosses in - easy!

As for the front two, it should be Brooker and either Byfield or Trundle.

When Palace won 2-1 at Stoke in the recent televised sky Monday night game - that's exactly what they did (attack down the flanks). Stoke will harry and close down all over the pitch, that's when their oppositon resort to hitting the front men with long balls to relieve the pressure - exactly the game that suits Stoke.

The key for us is not to hit early long balls into Adebola, but to go back to playing our passing game where earlier in the season we were playing through teams. we need to be hitting Adebola and Brooker with crosses from the byeline but unfortunately our wingers arn't getting in those positions with any regularity and when we do manage a cross from a good position we don't get enough numbers in the box to capitalise.

I suspect GJ will try to keep the ball away from Stoke by playing the 4-5-1, and try to nick it late on when the game opens up and our fitness (supposedly) gives us an edge, along with a couple of fresh legs (Brooker and Carle) - ie exactly what we've tried to do recently.

I also expect McCoombe and Carey to start with Fontaine at L/B, although I am getting the feeling that McCoombe is winning his place in the team at the moment as much for the hope that he will get a goal from a corner or free kick rather than his defending.

Let's hope we can nick a 1-0

CR

When Palace won 2-1 at Stoke in the recent televised sky Monday night game - that's exactly what they did (attack down the flanks). Stoke will harry and close down all over the pitch, that's when their oppositon resort to hitting the front men with long balls to relieve the pressure - exactly the game that suits Stoke.

The key for us is not to hit early long balls into Adebola, but to go back to playing our passing game where earlier in the season we were playing through teams. we need to be hitting Adebola and Brooker with crosses from the byeline but unfortunately our wingers arn't getting in those positions with any regularity and when we do manage a cross from a good position we don't get enough numbers in the box to capitalise.

I suspect GJ will try to keep the ball away from Stoke by playing the 4-5-1, and try to nick it late on when the game opens up and our fitness (supposedly) gives us an edge, along with a couple of fresh legs (Brooker and Carle) - ie exactly what we've tried to do recently.

I also expect McCoombe and Carey to start with Fontaine at L/B, although I am getting the feeling that McCoombe is winning his place in the team at the moment as much for the hope that he will get a goal from a corner or free kick rather than his defending.

Let's hope we can nick a 1-0

CR

100% right in my view.

I am absolutley no fan of Neil Warnock but that is one game his tatics were spot on. He knew that even his Palarse team counldn't outbully Stoke so he ordered his team to play to feet abd went for pace out wide and got behind them. He actually showed how you can play with a single striker, provided you get the wide men up in support and run beyound the game line.

If City play like they have the last two games it will give the game to Stoke on a Plate. As Stoke as everyone knows play the percentage game and whilst not my cup of tea, they play it very well, so the key to this game will be to keep the ball and get around the back of their defence from wide arears. A front on direct approach will just give the ball to them and result in the City penalty box being peppered from all angles.

We have been warned!

100% right.

where you at Cardiff, in the view of myself and others that were at the game, he didn't have as bad a game as many others make out.

personally i'm surpised at his recent missing spell?

Archived