IGNORED

Family Trees, Local History, Genealogy

fka dagest

Topic pretty much says it all really.

Does anyone have any experience of researching their ancestors? Would anyone recommend any useful sites, services etc.

Where does one begin? - Births. Marriages, Deaths? Where are these held in Bristol?

On a personal note, my grandfather's surname was Tozer and he lived all his life in south Bristol. I'm wondering if there's any connection between him and the early Bristol City director Walter Tozer. Should be interesting!

I'd appreciate any advice.

Does anyone have any experience of researching their ancestors? Would anyone recommend any useful sites, services etc.

Where does one begin? - Births. Marriages, Deaths? Where are these held in Bristol?

On a personal note, my grandfather's surname was Tozer and he lived all his life in south Bristol. I'm wondering if there's any connection between him and the early Bristol City director Walter Tozer. Should be interesting!

www.genesreunited.co.uk

1901CensusOnline.com (have to pay for credits)

Get ready, for a time consuming exercise! Plus would make it faster if you do know dates of births. dates of deaths, and surnames.

Good luck :fingerscrossed:

Researching tree for about 4 years now and has taken me all over the south of the country and Wales .

Tree on various lines from late 1600's to now . Totally hooked spending about 20 - 30 hrs a week between work and family . Not only interested in the tree lines but the times my ancestors lived in and produced many pamphlets on them within their living period . When you look at problems we have today they do not compare to the problems our family members had to deal with .

Findmypast is very good and you can obtain an amount of info before you need to think about paying . You can get the cheaper purchase of credits for about £ 6.00 but do not have all the census's back to 1841 yet .

1901 censusonline is good but is a little bit dearer , but again info can be accessed free at the beginning .

Scibes Alcove for family members around Thornbury is excellent and a free .Probably one of the best sites I know but only of use if you have family members who have lived in the area , which is a good possibility before the industrial revolution when those working in the country moved to the city for work . Many came from that area to work and live in Bristol .

Ancestry and Genes Reunited can be dear if you are just starting out and dipping in and out out of curiosity so be careful . They tie you down for I think about a year for about £ 75.00 ?? plus.

Try bristolinformation.co.uk

freebmd

historicaldirectories.org

also although I have used many others try familysearch.org which is another that will be of use to you .

Good luck

hm, never knew I had eskimo anscestory.

Just off to get one of them crazy hood things they chill in as a tribute.

Think of all the stuff you can stash in that coat for the game :yes:

I think your also allowed to take baby seals clubbing as well. (Or something like that )

aint all the birth certicates n all that online these days, and old voters rolls/census etc etc. home Office site I think

Think of all the stuff you can stash in that coat for the game :yes:

I think your also allowed to take baby seals clubbing as well. (Or something like that )

S'pose this does help explain some of my more unusual habbits.

Trust, you ain't been clubbing 'till you've been baby seal clubbing, they know the boogie :banana::yes:

Websites to look for is Cyndi's List ,which is a good starting point.Also worth investigating are the Latter Day Saints (Mormon) sites. They are very big on this sort of thing as it is part of their belief that prayers should be said for departed ancestors, And it's all free, including the 1881 U.K.census.

Mind you, if you get into genealogy in a big way, it can get rather expensive (especially if it's done by remote control as I have to) , but it's very rewarding.

Archived